“Got some great help with my Fly equipment”

Henry's Fork Anglers
Ranked #9 of 17 things to do in Island Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Henry's Fork Anglers is located on the banks of the world famous Henry's Fork of the Snake River. Henry's Fork Anglers is a full service fly shop offering the angler a full complement of flies, fly fishing tackle, and clothing. Known the world over for its prolific hatches, challenging trout and spectacular scenery, the Henry's Fork fishery has no equal and with over 30 years of angling experience, Henry’s Fork Anglers has established themselves as the premier fly shop!Henry's Fork Anglers also provides guided fishing trips on the Henry's Fork, South Fork of the Snake River, Madison River, Yellowstone National Park, and on numerous area lakes.
Reviewed 28 May 2016

We stopped in to get advice on where to fish. Perfect! He tipped my pole and set me up with some flies. We shopped the clearance section, beautiful tshirts! and gave advice on where to get some eats too!

2  Thank eihpd
"river"
in 5 reviews
"idaho"

Reviewed 27 September 2015

Just got back from 4 days of fishing Henry’s Fork. Three days were with Curt Barker of Henry’s Fork Anglers and one day on our own. Curt is great guide who knows the water , puts you onto fish, offers you options on where and different types of water to fish and a good guy to spend time with on the river and for a beer afterwards. The shop and its staff are first rate. Regarding some complaints about the charge for flies, you can bring your own flies, but the flies that work change from day to day and, unless you are really familiar with the water, you should rely on the your guide’s local knowledge and experience for what is most likely to work that day. Sure they charged us for flies, but we used a lot, lost a bunch and had a couple left over. We told Curt which leaders and tippets we had and he told us what additional ones we needed. To be a good consumer, you need to talk with the guide about your abilities and expectations and you should get the feedback to have a great day on the river. Ultimately it boils down to communication between the client, guide and shop. We had a great time and plan to use HFA again.

3  Thank Amrivfsh
Reviewed 5 September 2015 via mobile

My son (12 years old) and I, both novel fly fishermen, went on a full-day guided fly fishing trip with Henry's Fork Anglers. Prior to arriving we called and asked what flies would be appropriate to bring, but didn't get a straight answer, so we went with the flies that the guy at Cabela's recommended for that area. Now I know why we got a vague answer. Upon arrival at the river, our guide began setting up our tackle. He put on new leader, a tapered leader, a strike indicator, and two flies per rod. Although we had brought all of this tackle with us, he didn't ask about any of it. He just began cutting and tying. After a pleasant day on the river, we got back to the shop to settle up. To my surprise we were charged about $100 for tackle. We were charged for a full spool leader, the tapered leader, flies, etc. We were even charged for flies that the guide brought on the trip but that WE DIDN'T USE! We were given everything we were forced to purchase, but we didn't need it. We didn't pick out the flies, and didn't ask the guide to bring them. We didn't ask the guide to set up our rigs. I felt absolutely fleeced by being forced to purchase all of this unwanted tackle (which is much cheaper to purchase elsewhere). The trip was great up until we got back to the shop. If you go, be aware that you will have to purchase any flies they take with you whether you use them or not. Also don't let them set up your rig unless you want to buy everything they put on it, including the whole spool of leader.

3  Thank Chad N
Reviewed 1 September 2015

The guides were phenomenal. They did everything to help. However, I told management numerous times before the trip I was bringing three beginners. I said it was important they be somewhere they have a chance. I get there and find out we are going to fish the hardest place in the area (the ranch). That was strike one. Of course, within the ranch, not one of them gets even a strike. They only got strikes in the canyon, which is where I had to personally step in and request to go that morning first. It was too late by then to go everywhere. All I get is an apology for it. And should they care? No, they already have the money!
Next I pre purchased many flies after emailing about what I'd need. I guess they didn't take kindly to me spending money at another shop. I got there and was told I didn't need them as they had all I needed. Well that's great, until I was forced to purchase all of them including all the nymphs that I already had. I called them afterwards and they said "we are sorry it shouldn't have happened like that, send back the unused flies for a refund." That was a relief, it sounded like they really cared. I send them back, wait a week, call to ask, and I am told "no chance of a refund, that's against policy." They basically suggested I was lying and no one said I could return them. Furthermore, they said they haven't received my flies. So I was first ignored on my requests, besides for dry fly fishing, before I went. Then I was forced to buy flies I already had. Then I was told I could send them back for refund, and then after I sent them was told no. Plus, the flies I sent are "lost," so I paid for nothing now. It has been ten days since I sent them back and no idea where the flies are. Guides are great, but management forgets this is a once in a lifetime experience for each customer and cares just to fill time slots and profit. $360 per person is a lot to pay for management that forgets customer service and cares all about just filling the summer season and maximizing profits. Notice other reviewers focus on the guides, which makes sense, as out guides were awesome.
Four people should not cost 1450 (with tip), it should cost 1100-1200. Also, fishing time was just under 7 hours including lunch. Most guarantee 8 hours, with travel time not included. Go elsewhere.

2  Thank JTtripreview