We spent a week at Red Horse Mountain Ranch October 2-8, 2011. We booked our vacation after I read the reviews on Trip Advisor about Red Horse and I can confirm everything everyone has said about Red Horse on Trip Advisor is right on!
Our vacation at Red Horse was a dream come true for me, a horse crazy person who rides dressage. My husband who is an avid bicyclist and only rides horses occasionally, loved it there just as much - he went on the morning fitness hikes, bicycling on the Coeur d'Alene trail, clay shooting, and rifle shooting. We went on a pontoon boat ride with Tim in the rain and it was so much fun! The food and our cabin was A+. Here are specific comments which we hope readers will find helpful:
(1) Our cabin was wonderful - We woke up to views from our window of horses and horses neighing (!) It had a really nice rustic porch with a bench overlooking horse pastures and trees. The peace and quiet was heavenly! Our cabin was rustic luxury, roomy, very clean and so comfortable. Bathroom was very nice.
(2) Horses and wranglers were great and so nice. Our trail horses were very good trail horses, good with trotting and loping, and my horse could do dressage. The wranglers allowed me to ride him in the arena where we practiced our dressage. I had so much fun -- I thought life just does not get better than this!
(3) Meals - I wanted to take the kitchen staff home! Cooked to order breakfast served by the most cheerful servers was delicious. Lunch which was a buffet was so good with the freshest salads, great soups, and hot dishes - meatloaf was especially good! Dinner was a buffet (except for the 5-course dinner) - for a foodie like us, the food was heavenly. The desserts were really phenomenal - carrot cheesecake, italian chocolate cake.
(4) Scenery - It is an absolutely beautiful place - quiet, gorgeous surrounded by forestland and next to a lake, peaceful, and a pleasure to hike if you want to work off all the weight you gained from eating the fabulous food!
(5) Ranch - meticulously maintained, beautifully laid out, all cabins are close to the lodge and a short walk.
(6) Staff - Just loved everyone. They all loved their jobs and it showed. The friendliest group of people I have ever met - you feel at home and very welcome. We were watching the baseball playoffs in the lounge and my husband said it was so comfortable that you felt so at home.
(7) Be yourself - No dress codes, be comfortable and we were!
(8) Location - an easy 1.5 hour drive from Spokane through the most scenic roads. Also an easy 1.5 hour drive from the fabulous Hiawatha Trail for avid bicyclists and Milwaukee Road buffs!
We were sad to leave but we already booked our cabin for next year!
Thank you everyone at Red Horse Mountain Ranch for our best vacation ever!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Red Horse Mountain Ranch is a family dude ranch, vacation getaway, and retreat on nearly 300,000 acres tucked away in Rocky Mountains near Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. Since 1947, the ranch has had a rich history of dude ranching in Idaho and the same traditions of the Western experience live today. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch Hotel Harrison