New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Horse Mountain Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrison
Red Horse Mountain Ranch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Port Washington
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

For our 50th birthdays my friends and I decided to "step out of our box" and go to Red Mountain Dude Ranch. That was the best decision we could have made. This by far outdoes any vacation I have ever had!! You will read all these reviews but until you go there you will never experience the peace, serenity, fun, and overall feeling of self achievement that occurs while you are there.
We attended the "Ladies Week" with 28 other women from around the country. I met so many spectacular, brave women. Everyone instantly became friends. We shared stories, advise, achievements and failures. We laughed constantly. It felt so good. Sitting on the back porch of the ranch overlooking the mountains and horses with no telephones, televisions or stress of everyday life makes you realize how you become desensitized to the most important things in life. We are working to live not living to work.
During ladies week we were pampered with massages, excellent food, wine tasting (actually drinking since it really was pretty much "happy hour" daily and a 7 course meal that surpassed any restaurant I have been to. The activities were incredible. I envisioned archery as standing in a field just shooting a target with an arrow. Boy was I wrong!! We walked through the mountains as if we were hunting then would come up to an "unusual" animal (fake target) and would use either a compound bow or recluse. Sarah, our ranch hand (and now friend) taught us how to use both types of bows. We challenged our selves on the challenge course which was a blast. We walked across a log 50 feet up in the air, zip lined and climbed a 54 foot high wall. The ranch hands were there every step of the way educating us on what to do and keep us safe. The horse back riding was constant. You are assigned your own horse for the week. You can ride as much or little as you want. I personally took a horse back riding lesson and that was enough for me. I was busy shooting clay pigeons, hiking, geo caching, making pottery, pontooning, kayaking and a multitude of other things.
The evening entertainment included kareoke in the saloon, a campfire with a real folk story teller and guitar player. We even made smores. I was amazed that they set up a bar down by the campfire. It was just what the doctor prescribed. We played games, went looking for moose in the safari truck and were constantly busy. All these things I am mentioning are personal choices I decided to attend. You can attend as many things as you would like. At the end of each night we would sit outside in the hot tub and look at the stars. Its amazing that it is the same sky no matter where you live BUT I could see the Milky Way and constelations I would never see from Wisconsin.
The cabins were phenominal. Our cabin had a loft with a queen size bed and the lower level had 2 twin size beds. We overlooked the corrals and could hear the horses as night along with the bugeling of the elks. It was so serene. I slept like a baby every night cuddled up in my down comforter and cozy bed. I do not sleep like that at home. I am usually up at 3-4am. That didnt happen there. We had a specified day for laundry service which was included in the cost of the vacation.
The staff.....There are not any words that can describe the compassion, caring, fun loving staff that have now become part of everyones "ranch family". They all were so much fun and knowledgeable. Most live in the bunk house during the season so they would come up to the lodge and hang out witus. We learned so much from Nick, Sarah, Matt,Kiley, Tim, Jess, Jeanie, Alicen, Brenda to name a few. I must say though my favorite staff member was "Hank". When I came home from the ranch I have been telling everyone that "I found me a cowboy and his name is Hank" I then show them a picture of the most beautiful black labradore. He watches over everyone to ensure they are safe. You will find him laying on the front grass when you return from an activity, or he may decide to walk with you while you hike around the land. He is the most well mannered, layed back dog. Kids can climb on him and he would just lay there. I sure do miss Hank.
Last of all I have to commend Cory the ranch manager on the excellent hospitality, cleanliness of all areas of the ranch, amazing food, orginization of activities and his true desire to make sure everyone is having fun. Cory is present all the time. If you dont find him in the kitchen cooking he may be on the shooting range teaching guests how to fire a 338 Lapuea. I thank you with all my heart for providing such an amazing experience to myself and friends. I also thank you for hiring such an amazing staff. We are planning our next trip back to the ranch and are bringing our daughters with us. YAHOO. Were commin back!!

Room Tip: Every room and cabin is exceptional
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Anne R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Port Washington, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

If I could rate RHM Ranch greater than a 5 I would. They far exceeded any expectations I had. Any picture that is posted of this ranch does not come close to how truly beatuiful it is.The cabin provides large log beds covered with down comforters. I have not slept so peacefully since I dont know when. I listened to the Elk bugel during the night along with the sound of the horses and nature. My friends and I attended "Womens Week". We met so many wonderful women whom I admire and respect. The strength that is felt from all these wonderful women incourages you to step out of your box and try new things. It was truly a freeing and life changing event. I did not meet any staff member that was not truly caring and nice. They go above and beyond to make sure you are having fun. We even had them singing with us during Kareoke night. They truley were friends and not thought of as staff. I must say though that I "Did find me a Cowboy" and his name is "Hank". He is the most gorgeous black lab with the personality so laid back that you just want to take him home with you.He is perfect for kids as well as adults. It is evident that Cory excells at managing the ranch due to the wonderful staff, extremely clean enviornment no matter where you are on the ranch, the exceptional food and enormous amount of activities that are available. Bottom line....you have to go see it to believe it. Warning though...you probably wont want to come back home. I miss it already and I have only been home a few days. It truly is GODS Country.

Room Tip: I recommend staying in Syringa cabin as it overlooked the corrals. All the cabins having amazing vie...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anne Z
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

I came to the ranch for a one week trip with my two sisters (adults ages 27-37) this summer and we had the most amazing time! I didn't really know what to expect with this being my first "Dude Ranch" experience, but by the time I left I considered myself a cowgirl. I had never ridden a horse before coming here, but after one lesson with an amazing "wrangler" we were bumped up to the "advanced rider" status and allowed to participate in those rides which involved cantoring (probably the most fun I've had since my first roller coaster ride when I was 4 years old). We ended up spending the majority of our time riding, and happily so. We also participated in multiple other activities that were offered and always had a blast!

Additionally, the food here is amazing. There is enough variety to suit lots of different tastes, but not so much that you feel that you are missing out on anything (you can grab a couple different items or split with your family/friends to make sure you don't miss anything amazing!). One word: BACON. My sisters and I found a way to sneak it into pretty much every meal. The desserts were also off the charts and we joked about having "lunch dessert" every day because it is all too good to say no to.

Saving the best for last...the staff here is unlike any I've ever encountered. They are all incredibly friendly, interesting, accommodating people. We ended up spending quite a bit of time with them during downtime, cocktail hours, etc. and everyone knows exactly how to make sure the guests are having a wonderful time.

We had such a great experience that as soon as our last day arrived we were already trying to figure out how soon we could make a return trip. I miss the ranch! Take me back!

Room Tip: We stayed in upper level of Eagle's Nest and found it to be lovely with great views!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah G
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

We just returned from what may very well have been the best vacation of our lives. My husband and I are in our mid 30's, no children, we both work for corporations in NYC, and we are very well traveled throughout the world.

We love to be active and outdoors and we love great food. We are typically NOT into the all-inclusive experience type (in fact we usually run in the opposite direction). Truth be told we were very skeptical of all the tripadvisor reviews of RHMR before we went (not a negative comment among them). We often use Tripadvisor and both asked how can it be so good across the board?

AND NOW WE GET IT. It was like the best summer camp ever for adults!

RHMR is as good as every prior reviewer has said it is and then some. From the moment we arrived to the wine tasting adults only week-not a single detail was overlooked. The entire staff is generous, kind, down to earth, and fun. Getting to know the many wranglers, servers, and guides was a big highlight. Everyone at RHMR that we encountered made every guest feel like they were a very dear friend who they were excited to see again. We have never experienced such genuine warmth before. Thank you to all!

The activities on the ranch were extremely varied. You will not be bored. If you want to be challenged you can, if you just want to chill, you can do that too. If you are brand new to horseback riding or an expert rider their is enough variety to keep you engaged at all times. If you don't want to ride at all, not to worry because there is a plethora of other activities to choose from. We tried just about every activity that was offered and it is impossible to rank which was the best, They were all unique and fun in their own way. You can ride, shoot, fish, yoga, hike, etc!

Shall we talk about the food? It was phenomenol (this coming from two New York City foodies). There is ample variety and the quality is top notch. All the baked goods and the breads were fresh and homemade each day. There was vegetarian options at all meals in addition to high quality meats, cheese, salads. And the bacon. It deserves its very own blog, it is simply that good. Yes, there is plenty of beer on tap (local and the usual suspects), lots of wine- you will want for nothing. You may however come back five pounds heavier than when you arrived.

I could tell you far more about the ranch but I will leave you some surprises for when you get there. It is simply an amazing place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Milemark
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

This ranch was a wonderful experience. I cannot describe it any better than the other reviews, beautiful scenery, comfy accomodations, fabulous food, friendly staff, happy well kept horses... but was impressed by how well organized the schedule and all activities were. There is something for everyone at this Ranch.

As someone that loves to travel and get out there to explore new things, this place was fantastic. Definitely a repeat destination!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank J C W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrison
23.3 km away
The Coeur d'Alene Resort
The Coeur d'Alene Resort
#5 of 22 in Coeur d'Alene
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,376 reviews

Been to Red Horse Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!