“Wonderful!”
Review of Old Hickory House

Old Hickory House
Ranked #8 of 146 Restaurants in Tucker
Cuisines: American
Description: The family run Old Hickory House restaurants have been an Atlanta institution for more than 60 years with 4 family members operating their stores in Atlanta before closing and retiring. The old Forrest Park location was the one who had a scene in the movie "Smokey & The Bandit" filmed in 1977. This scene at the Old Hickory House had Jackie Gleason and Burt Reynolds in it. Gleason ordered a Diablo sandwich which we now serve at our location in Tucker, Georgia. Elvis Presley was another celebrity among other's who frequented the Old Hickory House's in the Atlanta area. The Tucker location that opened in 1974 is the only Old Hickory House standing. We plan to be serving our customers for another 60 years. Come join us and "Put Some South In Your Mouth!"
Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

Love this place! Best baby back ribs and Brunswick stew anywhere! Been coming here for many years and never been disappointed!

Date of visit: July 2016

Reviewed 25 June 2016 via mobile

Ordered the people pleaser and the wife ordered the chopped pork plate. Mine were better than sonny's by far but not as good as the hometown places I usually go. My wife says the same thing. The ribs were the only thing that stood out. Awesome flavor in the meat and the sauce pushed it over the edge. It's full of people 65 or over so I'd say it's something special to that generation. This is probably what BBQ was like 50 years ago. The staff was very friendly and no issues.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 10 May 2016

My daughters and I ordered take out from here while staying in Atlanta. I ordered the ribeye steak with 2 sides and all I can say is that this meal was the best Rib eye that I have ever had anywhere, and that includes steakhouses. It was done perfectly with just a hint of HIckory smoke and the sweet potato casserole and smoked green beans were just as impressive. It was so good, that we went back for breakfast the next day.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 5 May 2016 via mobile

I am a traveler and I eat all around the country. This place is old, dirty and food is below average. I felt like I was eating in a restaurant in a poor small town in the 70's. Most of the old ceiling tiles were stained, all ac vents were very dirty, and the booths were very old. The food was smoked but the amount of BBQ sauce drowned out the smoked flavors. My chicken was dry and over cooked. The beans were more like mush and the Brunswick stew had less flavor than the beans. The servers were older ladies and were working very hard and did a good job. I hated to see the place with only a few old couples there cause I'm sure their tips were minimal. This place wouldn't last a month in Texas but maybe there is enough older clientele to keep them floating a little longer. If anyone from the restaurant reads this, clean the place up, do a make over and get a food expert in to fix your recipes.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 27 April 2016

We've been here before and always enjoy it. Love, love, love the grits. They even have cheese grits. The sausage is really good. Gravy is wonderful. Love the biscuits. What can I say....I LOVE it ALL!!!

Date of visit: April 2016

Been to Old Hickory House? Share your experiences!