“Food fair, service poor”
Review of ECHO

ECHO
Reserve with OpenTable
ECHO is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I really wanted to like this restaurant as we were staying at the King and Prince. We had lunch on the patio first with a lovely view and ambiance. We ordered a burger, salmon BLT and cheesesteak sandwich. And waited and waited and waited. We really wanted to get back to beach and pool. Finally we got the food and it was pretty good. Sandwiches tasty; fries luke warm. Okay, we decided we were on beach time.

We tried again for dinner. At 8:00 p.m. we walked in without a reservation on a Thursday. There was a rather loud wedding type band playing in the lounge. We had considered eating in the lounge but decided it was too loud and asked hostess if we could be seating in the dining room. "No, not until 9," she said firmly without a smile. "um, okay, that's fine, we can wait in the lounge....do you want our name?" Strangely unwelcoming, but okay. We headed to the lounge and I ordered drinks and a cheese plate at the bar. Another stern and unsmiling bar tender filled my order. The fellow who brought our cheese plate in just a few minutes was the most pleasant encounter of our night. The cheese plate was great with lots of fruit, nuts, etc. In around 20 minutes we were called that our table was ready. We still had a full cheese plate and drinks which we carried with us to the hostess station. We were walked part way to our table, but oops, it hadn't been cleaned yet. We were walked back to hostess station. For a while I stood, becoming annoyed because I was holding a cheese plate with nuts rolling off the sides. A young man who seemed about 12 kept apologizing to us. A manger type guy asked if he could help and the hostess told him she had asked for our table to be cleaned twice. Soon it was ready. Is it me or should someone have taken our cheese plate so we didn't have to carry it around???? Finally we are seated, a nice table facing the ocean that would have been a very nice view before sunset I imagine. The manager hovers and asks if we want anything and we ask for more bread to go with the cheese and I ask for the wine menu. The bread never arrives. After a while (and I mean a while) a waitress appears and I order wine and we ask again for the bread. I ask if she recommends anything light since I am getting full from the cheese. She seems brand new and uncertain. "you could share an entree" She then tells us about one salmon special and leaves. The bread never appears. My wine arrives. She does not return. The manager returns again, seeming aware that all is not well (but not remembering our bread.) I ask him also if there is something light. He recommends some of the appetizers (which I appreciate) and also tells us about three entrees (not just the one) they all sound good but at this point we are not very hungry anymore. One of us orders a Caesar salad no anchovies please, and I order an appetizer lamb chop, medium rare. After a LONG time our food comes. (cheese plate still sitting off to the side of our table, no extra bread.) The salad has a bunch of anchovies and their juice remains even after they are picked off plate. My lamb chop is actually three chops, but are practically raw. I am a bit flexible about rare, but they are very tough to cut. I eat one, but find the dish unpleasantly tough and raw. After a long while, we get our check.

It is surprising to me that a restaurant that is part of a very nice resort, and is clearly trying to offer a fine dining experience is so inept in service and execution. Some of the food was very good and some of the staff seem to have very good intentions. The setting is lovely. I feel that the management at the top needs to provide better training to staff to assure better systems are in place.

Allen L, Manager at ECHO, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you for your visits to ECHO and we appreciate the feedback. Please accept our apologies for the missteps that you encountered during what seems to have been a very busy night. We appreciate the kind comments for the quality of food that was served as well as the opportunity to improve the items you mentioned. I am sorry that the manager was not able to recover your experience sufficiently and I understand that he did recognize the difficulties and apologized even going so far as to provide some complimentary beverages. Again, we are very sorry for these problems and will look deeply at how we handle these high volume events.
We hope to see you again and will be certain you have a better experience.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

On our most recent trip to the island, we had three lunches at Echo. We have enjoyed it in the past because it is the only place with ocean-side seating and the food is pretty good. HOWEVER- the one consistent thing on all three visits was the terrible service. Hostesses were uniformly unfriendly, and everything is always unorganized. Reservations are through Open Table, and in the past the hostesses here have never properly checked us in, resulting in a "no-show" hit on my account on every visit until I straightened it out. So during this trip, I asked the hostess each time if she had checked us in. Each time, she rolled her eyes, and each time, I later got a message from Open Table that I was being penalized for not showing up for our reservation. We tend to go early, right when they start serving lunch, so that we can get a good table on the patio. The hostesses always act really weird when we request seating on the patio by the ocean...even when every single table is available. That is, after all, the reason that we go there. And there always seems to be some sort of confusion. On our most recent visit, we arrived at the start of lunch, went to host stand and said that we were there for our lunch reservation, and were told to have a seat in the hotel lobby. The hostess then disappeared for about 10 minutes. With a couple of notable exceptions, every server we've had at the restaurant has been unfriendly and inattentive.

All of that being said, some of the menu items are really good (the cheese plate especially) and there is a nice cocktail/wine/beer list. Despite the service issues, it is nice to sit by the ocean and relax. Here's hoping the service improves by our next visit.

Allen L, Manager at ECHO, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

We appreciate your continued visits and observations of our great food and ambiance. Thank you for letting us know about the open table and we will correct this mistake for the future. We will spend more time training our hostesses to be more friendly as well as accommodating. Please accept our apologies for these unacceptable issues.
Thank you again for your kind words about the view and quality of food!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We made reservations for Easter Sunday, for the buffet, that has previously been magnificent. This time, however, we were disappointed. We drove from Jacksonville after attending church, with reservations for 1:00. We had requested a table in the main dining room, by the window. When we were seated, we got that seating, but in a corner where the view was bushes with a tinge of ocean. There were other tables available windowside when we arrived at which we could have been seated, with a full view of the ocean on a beautiful day. We made no complaint, however, and continued on to the buffet. The serving utensils with the chafing dishes were covered with cold, congealed food, and there was dropped and spilled food besides each. The buffet used to be maintained so beautifully, but not today. The mahi was dried out and the sauce sparse and lukewarm. The prime rib was carved from a tiny piece that looked as if it could be a leftover, and was cold and pretty much tasteless. There were no oysters on the half-shell, and the crab claws were so messy to try to eat.
However, the shrimp were wonderful and the ham flavorful, as was the lamb. The vegetables would have been good, had they been hot or at least warm.
This is not an inexpensive place to dine, and we were quite disappointed. We have always enjoyed the Echo holiday buffets (we come on Thanksgiving also), but will be rethinking the long drive for a mediocre meal this year.

Allen L, Manager at ECHO, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thank you for visiting us and sharing your holidays with ECHO and the King and Prince family! We are grateful for the kind words as well as the constructive observations as well. We will work with the Chef and team to better maintain the buffet as you mentioned. We do take pride in our holiday events and your support is important to us so we will take these suggestions to heart and make the necessary adjustments.
Thanks again and Happy Easter!

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Easter brunch
Elegant. Wide variety of entrees
Every was well presented and well prepared
Leg of lamb was super
Had an outside table with excellent service by Sara
Full. Contented and fat
Of course we will e back

Allen L, Manager at ECHO, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Thank you for sharing your Easter experience with us! We have a long tradition of celebrating the holidays with food and friends and are happy that you could enjoy as our friend this year!
See you for Thanksgiving for an even bigger spread!

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Echo is located inside the beautiful King & Prince. Unfortunately, it does not live up to the same reputation as the resort. We made reservations for 7:30 on Friday when they have their $29 three course Prime Rib dinner. Get there early - people who sat next to us at 8:00pm were told they were out of Prime Rib. The first course was a spinach salad that was tasty, but was served in a small canoe shaped bowl that was difficult to eat out of. The prime rib (ordered medium rare) was over cooked and dry. Could not send back as they were out. It was still edible for me, so I ate it. It came with sweet potato mash which was tasty but cold. The dessert was a tasty rice pudding. The server was polite, but slow. This is our second time eating here in as many years (visit while on vacation). Both times unimpressive considering the high standards everywhere else at the King & Prince.

Allen L, Manager at ECHO, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Thank you for visiting us and for the subsequent review. We are sorry for the issues you mentioned and will review with the dining room managers as well as the chef to correct in the future.
Again, we appreciate your visiting us ere oceanfront and hope to see you again for another chance.