“A little disappointing.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
florida
“A little disappointing.”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I was really looking forward to staying here, but have to admit I was a little disappointed. Our suite on the 3rd floor was nice, but the furniture and accessories were so dark and heavy looking it made the room look drab and dreary. The dark brocades did not belong in an oceanfront hotel. There was plenty of room but the bed was so high that I almost needed a step ladder to get into it (I'm 5'1"). And there were so many heavy cushions on it when we took them off to get into bed they took up half the room. It was nice to have two bathrooms because the tub in the bedroom again was so high that it would have been very hard to get in and out of. The standup shower was very nice though. Breakfast was so so, but nothing exceptional. The staff were all extremely helpful but also very slow. We had a nice view from the balcony but I really don't think I would come back again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank picky75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Weren't sure what to expect but were very pleasantly surprised. Reviews from others were accurate. Only downside was the evening meal. Not the quality that matched the hotel. Breakfast was great.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This review is soooo late. I stayed at Ocean Lodge a year ago and what can I say, time flies...

I could not neglect writing a review for this hotel, no matter how late. I travel ALOT, and this was one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed. Pure class and top notch service. Morning made to order breakfast was fabulous everyday. This is by far way better than any of the large resorts. Get a corner room on a high floor if your budget permits, windows surround the living area, just beautiful. You must use a bike and take a tour of the island. When I stayed there, the bikes were free. But again, it was a yar ago. A few tips for your trip:

Anne Marie Smith: best facial on the island.

Bubba Garcias: best mexican food (veggie fajitas are to die!)

Coastal kitchen: two words, Crab Cakes.

A little secret, if you are a food network fan, Alton Brown lives just across the street from Ocean Lodge. You may spot him out walking his 3 dogs :-)

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank withni7
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I have been by this hotel many times as we have been going to th eKing & Prince down the street for decades so we though we would give it a try this weekend. When we checked in we noticed that this hotel had been awarded as a Trip Advisor Best of 2012 award. After our stay, we agree with the other visitors. This is a unique hotel but a great place to stay.

The hotel has 15 suites, all over looking the Atlantic though it is one block from the beach. The rooms are works of art. There was a mural on one wall as you enter the room and there were five beautiful pictures with very expensive frames in the bedroom and living room. each suite has two baths, a full kitchen, a complete living room, a balcony off the living room and bedroom, the bedroom we stayed in had a king bed. The master bath has a jacuzzi tub with a shower. The rooms are decorated in Spanish type design. There are two flat screen TV with cable. There are a lot a channels to choose from but the room needs a better guide to select from so many channels. The room also has a DVD player connected to the TV in the living room. The rooms were probably the best designed five star room I have stayed. The hotel is classified a boutique hotel because it is so small but the staff there do a great job handling your every need.

They provide a free hot breakfast to order every morning from their menu from 8 to 10 am. It is worth getting up for the food, it is great and they also provide great service. Everything about this small hotel was first rate. They even have free wifi (it was fast) which is unusual for a 5 star hotel. I loved the Keurig coffee maker, a great cup of coffee every time. You bring back your dog bag and store it in the full size frig.

They have a restaurant on the top floor that is open Monday through Saturday but closed on Sunday. We missed out in trying the restaurant because we did not know they were closed on Sunday.

Room Tip: The corner room seem to have bigger rooms with better views.
2 Thank crapsguy
Brattleboro, Vermont
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed two nights at this stunning Inn. Met the Innkeeper, Joe McDunnough, (sp?), over breakfast the first morning. A very easy-going man with obvious impeccable taste as Ocean Lodge is his baby and he has created a one of a kink location steps from the beach in St Simons. However, when he mentioned that the economy had noticably had a negative impact on his business and blamed it on the ' Kenyan in the Whitehouse" my husband, daughter and I were rocked back on our heals. And, when I suggested that the economy was already in the toilet before our current President took office ~ and further suggested that I did not want to discuss politics ~ he gave me a very steady glare and continued to expound on his political views, including something derogatory about "Muslims'. I am also and Innkeeper; my policy is to not discuss politics with my guests. I suggest that Joe adopt the same policy to avoid a situation I found myself in that tainted my view of the paradise he has created.

5 Thank vvogel
Joe_M_OL, Owner at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for your suggestions in regards to political discussions with guests, and I would like to sincerely apologize for anything I may have said that was offensive to you, I certainly didn’t mean for it to be interpreted that way. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and personalized service. As the innkeeper, I try to make it a priority to get to know all of our guests and ensure they are all receiving quality service.

I remember the morning I met with you and your family. It happened to be the day after Newt Gingrich was discussing his opinion of President Obama’s religion to the media, and was quoted as saying, “I think it is very bizarre that he is desperately concerned to apologize to Muslim religious fanatics while they are killing young Americans, while at the same time going to war against the Catholic Church and against ever right-to-life Protestant organization in the country, I just think it’s a very strange value system”. The story was being covered by most media networks, and I, being a very devout member of the Catholic Church, have been extremely interested in this story.

As far as the economy is concerned, you are correct. There are other factors that contributed to the recession. Every business has been impacted, especially the hospitality industry. We have tried to maintain a positive outlook; so far it is working splendidly for us. In fact, we just had our best month since opening our doors in 2008.

We appreciate your feedback, and I assure you that my personal opinions on the state of the economy, and President Obama’s religious beliefs, have no bearing on the quality of service we offer and I deeply apologize for the misunderstanding. Thank you for being our guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
0.9 km away
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Westin Jekyll Island
#4 of 9 in Jekyll Island
4.5 km away
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#3 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Ocean Lodge? Share your experiences!