“First time visit”

Kani House
Ranked #226 of 373 Restaurants in Roswell
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Picked this based upon online reviews, where were solid. Had a selection of hibachi vegetables, salmon, and chicken, as well as a roll. The food was solid, nothing spectacular. The service was fine - we have some other places we visit so not likely to get back here as it is not most convenient to our home

1  Thank David M

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I ate at the Sushi Bar and had the recommended Holy Molly Roll as a appetizer which was at best OK. Plus a Sapporo Draft. And for an entree, I had the Tilapia Hibachi (see pic) which was again OK. Friendly service and good.

1  Thank Jacob G
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The food was just ok, terrible soup just a warm cup of japanese flavored water. I liked the decor but couldn't eat that. I had shrimp and scallops which were alright nothing special. The spicy tuna roll was very good. All in all it was a good dinner because we were enjoying ourselves with family so that made up for the lackluster food.

1  Thank Louise L
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I went to Kani House on a Sunday night. I celebrated my friend's birthday there, and we had a good time. I ordered the NY Strip Steak, and I found that it was cooked pretty medium rare, which is what I wanted it cooked. The restaurant itself was pretty empty, but there were a few folks milling around. My friend's brother got some type of an allergic reaction to some food. We didn't know what had caused it, but luckily it wasn't serious.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

I had decided to treat my girlfriend with some nice habachi last night around 8:00. I was going to take her to Benihana(which has always been great for me) but she has had a great experience with your Mall of Georgia location. Me, having been to one Kani House before and having my food super over cooked I was skeptical about going but decided to give it another try.

We arrived about 8:20 to the Roswell location and the place was empty. The bartender was sitting in the sushi part of the restaurant and turned around and saw us, but did not greet or acknowledge we were there. At first we did not realize she was the bartender until we left and she was behind the bar. We thought she was a patron being served. After waiting for 5 minutes for someone to greet us the waitress came from the kitchen, saw us, walked to the bartender, back to the kitchen, and back out to the bartender with her food...all without saying a word to us. The entire time we were waiting we were contemplating on going to Benihana, but I gave the benefit of the doubt and we decided to be seated.

After being seated, the waitress disappeared for another 5 minutes without taking our drink order. During that 5 minutes I once again contemplated leaving and going to Benihanna, but my girlfriend loves your restaurant and I like seeing her happy. For the second time, we decided to stay.

After the 5 minutes the waitress came back out and took our drink and food order. We both ordered the steak and shrimp and I got a scallop side dish. My girlfriend ordered a pot of green tea and we were told that it comes with the meal. A usual order for us. Our drinks came out quicker than expected and so did our soup and salads. But the salads were very disappointing. There was barely anything there! The soup bowl was only filled halfway and was cold. The green tea never arrived and when we asked she said she would bring a pot...which never arrived either.

Once the chef came out and started to prepare our food I thought to myself, "at least the food will be good." I was right, partially. The chef prepared our food extremely quickly and gave both of us fatty parts of the steak. My scallops were all very overcooked. We both ate and decided to take the rest home. I understand that is was near closing time, but there no reason to overlook quality.

Now, my favorite part of the habachi experience is the ice cream. I'm not sure why i like it the best but it is the perfect compliment to any habachi meal. The waitress explained that the had no ice cream and that it all melted due to a power outage. Needless to say I was super disappointed and let down even more. I had expected to be discounted for the lack of tea and ice cream, but I was not. I did not even want to ask because I was already so frustrated that I just wanted to get out of there. We were in and out in less than in hour. Most habachi restaurants that I have visited will keep us there for hours because of the atmosphere, service and great food.

Now, I'm not quite sure what was going on but you can count on me NEVER returning to Kani House to eat. There literally not one good thing about our visit! I spent $57.57 plus tip (which I did tip, because I know how it is to be a server, they rely on tips) on a meal that I wouldn't pay $20 for at the mall food court. I honestly feel that I wasted my hard earned money just to have a horrible experience. And not to mention your establishment ruined our night, we rarely go out and when we do we want to have a great time. Your lack of service and quality ruined that for us. Again, don't expect me to ever return and I will be putting this experience on every review site I can get my hands on.

Been to Kani House? Share your experiences!