“Your family will LOVE you!!!”
Review of Callaway Gardens

Callaway Gardens
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A 2,500 acre, year-round horticultural display garden that offers the Virginia Hand Callaway Discovery Center, Birds of Prey Show, Cecil B. Day Butterfly Center, Walking Trails, Ida Cason Callaway Memorial Chapel and Pioneer Log Cabin as well as golf, tennis, fishing, fly fishing and biking. Those looking for some adrenaline will love TreeTop Adventure's zip lines and aerial obstacles. Seasonal events and educational workshops are offered throughout the year. Four lodging types, eight restaurants and a lounge are available.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Check out the website. It is accurate. They only thing it leaves out is how much your family will love you if you take them.

Plan to stay at least two nights to enjoy it all. If you have your own bikes, bring them. Bike rental is not cheap. We have stayed at the villas (meh) and the cottages (yay!). On this most recent visit we discovered that you can rent a golf cart if you can't ride a bicycle. We wish we would have remembered our swimsuits too, although the ten miles of bike trails and tennis courts kept us busy.

The food ranges from mediocre to amazing. It depends on where you go and what time of day. You can get hot dogs (meh) or a seafood/southern food buffet (yum!). Or if your palette is a little more refined, you can find organic fare too! Breakfast was lame, but the other meals were wonderful.

We love going. Every time we go we find a new treasure.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

I had heard -- and read -- so many glowing reviews of Callaway Gardens, that perhaps I was expecting too much. The map is not sufficient, and I drove around in circles quite a few times (there are mostly one way roads that require you to drive around the entire park if you miss a turn), I parked too far away from attractions due to lack of proper signage (and with an elderly person accompanying me, that was a hardship) when their was closer parking. The property is large, but the nature walks are not very impressive and seem to be in need of repair. I imagine bicycling through the Gardens is a better way to see it, but that wasn't possible for me). Very few flowers were in bloom, and the Butterfly Pavilion was a real disappointment (it's a very small actual exhibit for such a large building). For the $18 fee per person for entry, it was overpriced. I wish there was a category for Fair, because it was below Average but above Poor in my book (and I'm usually easy to please)!

1  Thank Valhallapix
Reviewed 20 May 2012

So the location is very nice, yes I will give you that. However, a few thoughts based on my experience.

1. I have visited many gardens, parks, etc. This is a nice location but it is just average. There are NO colors at all, just a bunch of trees.....Botanical in Atlanta is nicer
2. The bikes we rented had a problem which injured one of us and upon informing management not only could they care less about it but they were rude. It was great to spend $43 to rent bikes for a few hours, get hurt because they were not fixed properly and leave with a sour feeling because management does not care

If you go, don't expect anyone to be nice to you if anything goes wrong and stay away from the bikes, too risky to rent the old and rusty bikes they want $21.50 for a few hours for...

4  Thank runnersar
Reviewed 17 May 2012

If you like plants and flowers and butterflies and birds, you will love Callway Gardens. Be careful to get good directions and estimates of walking distances, sometimes the signage is lacking a bit and the signs never indicated distance.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Pine Mountain, including Callaway Gardens is a great place to take the kids. We have been going to Callaway for years to enjoy the scenery in the summer time, and the fantasy of lights at Christmas is awesome. They are a bit pricey, but overall, it gets the whole family back to nature.