“Relaxing but overpriced and boring”
Review of Inn at Serenbe

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palmetto
Inn at Serenbe
Ranked #1 of 4 Palmetto B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2008

We were okay with our stay at Serenbe over July 4 weekend, but there really isn't much to do there. The room was fine and clean, but you can hear everything through the walls (stayed in one of the cottages). It was also not really worth $205/night, with a 2 night minimum.

The breakfasts were DELICIOUS, but I have ato admit I was a little disappointed in the dinner and brunch we had at the Farmhouse - perhaps because we had heard such great things. My fish was overcooked, and my husband's ribeye was just average. The salad and soup we had as appetizers were wonderful, though. The food at the Hil in "town" was much better.

Unless you're truly fine with doing very little, you shouldn't stay more than one night here.

The staff is also not very helpful at finding information for you. For instance, we wanted to find places where we could pick blueberries nearby, and the standard response from staff was that they did not know where. Period. One woman offered to do research, but she never followed up.

• Stayed: July 2008
6  Thank atlanta14

Reviewed 8 November 2007

Avoid Serenbe if possible...My husband took me to Serenbe as a surprise anniversary gift. We were going to spend the night away from our home in Atlanta and were looking for something fun and romantic. We'd arranged for an overnight sitter for our children and drove the 45 minutes down to Serenbe. When we arrived at 5:30 p.m., the innkeeper had overbooked the inn and told us we were "upgraded" to a loft in the "town". The "town" consists of a bakery, a grocery, a couple shops and about 20 or so permanent residences. We were disappointed because we had reservations at the Farmhouse restaurant (adjacent to the Inn) and wanted to be able to walk there from the inn . The town was about a mile down a dirt road and there was not a way to walk from the town to the restaurant. Since there are not any other options for overnight accomadations in the Palmetto area, we decided to take the room offered. After driving to the town, we found out we had the wrong key. The apartment we were assigned, however, was open. We went in to find a stark, modern loft. Wet towels had been left in the bedroom and bathroom and there was trash in the bathroom trashcan. The front of the unit overlooked the street and the back overlooked the permanent residents' shared courtyard which contained numerous plastic kids' toys, bikes, etc. There was no privacy on either balcony and the loft was not the cozy, romantic place we were expecting. We returned to the inn and the innkeeper did offer to clean the bathroom but maintained they could not honor our reservation at the inn. We ended driving the 45 minutes back to Atlanta and staying at the Ritz Carlton. The whole experience was very disappointing and we truly expected more from Serenbe.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
82  Thank cmpmr
Reviewed 26 July 2007

I had previously stayed at Serenbe and looked forward to returning with my family.

It was our son's 10th birthday, so we made reservations at Serenbe. We occupied 2 rooms at The Lakehouse for $180 per room per night.

Upon arrival, the gate was locked. We rang the office from the gate, but there was no answer. Finally, we located Serenbe's phone number on a cell phone and were given the gate code. This did not work either, but soon a car leaving Serenbe let us in.

When we arrived at the front, we were told that lightning had struck the phone lines and that the phone service was out. Someone was supposed to be on their way to fix it. This was on Friday, but the phone lines were never fixed. Granted, it was a weekend, but the staff did a poor job handling the situation. More than once, the office promised to "send someone right out" to fix at least the internet service, but no one ever arrived. All weekend we were without internet, cable, and phone.

My husband and I were excited about dining at the Farmhouse. As always, the food was excellent. The service, however, was not. The young, seemingly inexperienced staff seemed overwhelmed with just the few tables the Farmhouse holds. We had to flag someone, anyone, down for every single request -- more water, the check.

Serenbe lists fishing as an activity. It stated that bait was available in the compost pile. When my husband asked about the compost pile, the attendant said we would have to go into town for bait. We drove 17 miles attempting to find a bait shop. Finally, we had to settle on shrimp from the supermarket.

Here is the disgusting part: On my previous stay, I occupied the same room that my husband and I stayed in on this visit. At that time, EIGHT MONTHS AGO, I saw a fist-sized, brownish looking water stain on the white duvet cover. I was a little grossed out at the time, but didn't mention it. On our recent visit, the stain was STILL THERE in the same exact place. Hoping that it was a permanent stain and unable to comprehend that Serenbe would not wash a duvet cover in EIGHT MONTHS of guest turnover, I got some soap and water and tried to remove the stain. Sure enough, I was able to remove the portion of the stain I worked on. A quick sniff of the duvet cover confirmed my worst fear -- it had been a long, long time since that duvet cover had been washed. Gross!

I e-mailed the manager about the visit, but he never even had the courtesy to contact me.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
34  Thank abmChattanoogaTN
Reviewed 5 February 2007

It is almost impossible to find a place that works for a romantic weekend getaway AND a fun family spot, but Serenbe really does the trick.
I went with my fiance for a romantic weekend and we couldn't have been happier. We stayed in one of the less expensive rooms with just a bedroom and bathroom. The room felt large, with high ceilings and lots of natural light from the four windows. There was a side chair, a dresser with a TV/VCR/DVD/Dish combo and a fluffy king-sized bed that took some high-jump skills to get into. The bathroom was large, with two pedestal sinks, a toilet and a large bathtub/shower for two. There was also a shared screened-in porch with rocking chairs, an outdoor fireplace and a built-in bench. It was the perfect spot to relax and read in.
The Farmhouse restaurant is incredible! The included breakfast has a hot plate fixed to order and a cold breakfast selection of cereal, fruit and mini-muffins. The dinner is worth much, much more than you pay.
For families, and the young at heart, there are planned activities, like feeding the farm animals and a bonfire. We skipped these as our whole reason for going was just to spend time with each other, but it is nice to know the option is there.
Really, the worst part of our stay was the cold weather. It kept us from enjoying all of the walking trails and scenery.

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank Ineverwrit
Reviewed 12 July 2006

This place has all the best of B&Bs and family hotels. I came from California with my 14-yr old and 5-yr old sons. The 5-yr old loved the petting farm, trampoline, treehouse and hayride. The teenager enjoyed fishing in the lake (poles were provided), hiking trails and big breakfast. We got to feed all the animals (horses, cows, pigs, llamas, chickens, donkeys, rabbits, goats, etc.) and gather the same eggs we had for breakfast everyday. My son fed an apple from the fruit dish in our entryway to one of the horses.

We were surprised to find a TV with DVD/VCR in our room. This was a real lifesaver when a thunderstorm hit and my little one wanted to watch a movie. We sat in the large screened-in porch and watched the show (don't get many storms in CA).

It really was like being on a farm "away from it all", but with every amenity you could want. Plan on spending at least 3-4 days, you will need it to enjoy everything!

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank jblizz

Been to Inn at Serenbe? Share your experiences!