See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 November 2017

This hotel may have once been grand, but don't let the website photos fool you -- this hotel is terrible. The foyer is the best part of the facility, and even that has a section cordoned off for massive ceiling damage. The adjacent breakfast area is dark and no longer serves breakfast, only coffee. The hallways are dingy, the doors between sections creaky, the floors creak, my room seemed clean but poorly appointed, the pool looked like a disaster area, and the environment outside just felt unsafe. Unless new management takes over and revamps the place from top to bottom, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. It's the only hotel I've *ever* walked back out of and canceled my reservation.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 21 December 2016

Worst hotel ever, room smells like old carpet and smoke, don't offer breakfast like they say,Roaches OMG roaches they are every where, Do not sleep under the covers. Only thing good is the size of the room. All room furniture is very old, night customer service person states its over 10 years old. Very bad experience. Please view room and make sure everything works before booking. NO phones works inside of the hotel and wifi works sometimes

Room tip: Go next door better hotel
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank IRIS M
Reviewed 11 October 2016

Oh God, where do I start it was SO BAD!!! 1. Management was RUDE to start!! Especially the night manager, who must have been from India, lacked English. He was no where to be found the last night we where there. Rang the bell at front desk, and waited about 25 mins for him to finally show up 2. They over charged my credit card. Had me booked for 3 nights, when went back that night on the 2nd day, wouldn't let me in the room. Night manager of course was rude, told us we on paid for 2 nights!!! So where is my other $70 bucks??? CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD REPORTS!!!! 3. The room SMELLED!!!! 4. Ask front desk to fix the safe, nobody never showed up to fix it. 5. Door slam shut, ever door in the hotel. 6. It was Atlanta Pride weekend, and Hurricane Matthew was coming up the coast. Hotel was booked, there was nothing to do. So figured we go swimming. NOPE!!!! Pool was empty!!!! 7. Has a nice gym in it to work out in. But guess what, YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO IT!!!! 8. They don't have breakfast, but that weekend the had only waffles and toast. 9. Wi-fi didn't work. Night manager said was because of all the people staying there. After it was empty, still NO WIFI!!! 10. Hotel is badly numbered. Hard to find your room. 11. No microwaves in rooms. The only microwave in the hotel was down stairs in the lobby. So you had to wait to use it. 12. Bar they don't use, Nor the restaurant part, which could bring them in some money. 13. A/C noisy in the room. Between the I285 outside my window, and the A/C, I285 made less noise then the A/C. 14. The elevator needs to be services. I was afraid of getting stuck.
We had a suite there. But in all, DO NOT STAY AT THE THIS BUSTED DOWN HOTEL!!!! I just don't see how the the owners of this hotel, which is The Congress Plaza Hotel in Chicago can have such a place like this!!!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

Room tip: NOTHING great about this hotel!!!
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank gpardue
Reviewed 5 August 2016

Unfortunately this was once a very beautiful place, but it's current condition leaves a lot to be desired. Price is good but the condition is awful.Everything is rather dated and rooms are not in good condition, not a recommended hotel.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank edwardkupa
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

If only there were a way to put a minus 3 rating. You’ve been warned! Take your money elsewhere. Pictures for ads must be really old . A/C is terrible. Interior. Employees and mgmt. are less than enthusiastic/helpful. No breakfast is included.

Details-
I must say that this was among the worst I've ever stayed in. To begin with, the pretty pictures showing a well-lighted entrance, etc. must surely be old. The place is actually quite old and smells stale - mold/mildew/smoke - like an old musty hotel from the 70s, when smoking in motels/hotels was common. The design appears dated and feels unsafe, because there are too many blind corners and dark areas my wife and daughters got a creepy feeling from the whole property because of this.

Service from all employees was possibly the worst I've ever experienced. Asking for sufficient bath towels was treated as a bother. People smoking in the room next door? Can't help you. Toilet paper? A bother. I suggest an education in hospitality to learn how to operate a successful property like this; maybe from a local college or university? There was no breakfast included, in spite of website claim AND our verbal confirmation. We were then told that they "stopped that in June". I believe a hotel should either do or do not; at least be up-front about the fact that it changes.

I felt like the standards of service and hospitality at this property were the lowest I have ever encountered stateside. I’d drive a long distance to avoid staying here again!

Date of stay: June 2016