“Authentic Mexican Seafood Cuisine Good Not Excellent.”

Las Costas Nayaritas
Ranked #252 of 446 Restaurants in Duluth
Reviewed 31 March 2016

We went to Las Costas Nayaritas in Duluth, GA on a Sunday afternoon in March 2016. The parking lot was very packed when we arrived and were worried that might have a long wait, but we didn't. Our wait was less than 5 minutes. We did arrive around 4:25, so the wait was short. When we were leaving around 6:00 there were many families waiting for a table. If you are going for dinner on a weekend you may want to arrive before 5pm if you don't want to wait.

We were seated in a booth and loved the decor and ambiance of the restaurant. Lot's of wood and vibrant colors, really a traditional Mexican feel. We were quickly brought tosdadas, habanero sauce and fish ceviche. My husband is from Mexico, so we know authentic Mexican food. I enjoyed the ceviche, but my husband thought it was very bland. We did add salt to it, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Our waitress was a little slow in taking our order, but they did have a full dining room. My husband ordered a beer and I ordered the Michelada Costeno which included 4-5 shrimp on the rim of the glass and two oysters in the michelada. They were out of draft beer on the day we visited so my husband settled with a bottle of beer, which he was unhappy about. The michelada was good, not great, but I enjoyed it.

We ordered a shrimp and octopus cocktail to share and my husband ordered the Seafood soup with 7 kinds of seafood and I ordered the garlic and guajillo pepper shrimp. The cocktail de camaron y pulpo (shrimp and octopus) was not good. Although the octopus was VERY tender, the cocktail mix was nothing like what we'd ever tasted before. I do know that different regions of Mexico have their own unique ways of making certain dishes, so maybe this is the problem, but we've had Mexican shrimp cocktail in various locations in Mexico and this was by far the worst we've ever tried. I think they must have just put in too much black pepper (we never use black pepper in our cocktail when we make it at home, so that's why I say it's the black pepper).

The main dishes were GREAT. My husband's soup was one of the best we've ever tasted and my garlic/guajillo shrimp was just as great. Really flavorful and tasty. My dish came with rice, lettuce/tomatoes and french fries. Not sure why the fries, I didn't eat them, but the shrimp and rice were amazing.

While we chose the seafood dishes, they did have meat dishes and fajitas on the menu.

Also Note they do have a mariachi band playing on the weekends, (not sure about during the week). My husband didn't like the loudness of the Mariachi, I thought it was fine. In some corners it was hard for the waiters to move around the band to deliver food take orders. In some spaces their the aisles just aren't big enough to accommodate a band like that.

Our waitress was friendly and we had a nice dinner. Our only complaint with the waitress, was that it seemed after we asked her for the check, she didn't return for about 10-15 minutes with our check and she seemed more interested in helping other tables since we were already finished. It did take us almost 20 minutes to actually leave the restaurant after we requested our ticket.

We would return to the restaurant and give it one more try because of the quality of the main dishes. We would however pass on the cocktail and just order the main dishes. Hopefully next time they have draft beer.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

Although the staff was pretty courteous this is one restaurant I will never return to. After being picked up at Atlanta airport, my best friends and I stopped off at this restaurant becaus it looked like a decent place from outside. The Mexican decor was nice and they had a mariachi band. When we ordered a very large seafood appetizer for the three of us to share, none of us could eat it. It was extremely spicy. It didn't say anything on the menu about it being so spicy. They must've used the hottest peppers to season it with. We each ordered different entrees and they were all just "ok". The drinks were very good. I was in the middle of a sentence and all of a sudden one of the mariachi guys started playing a tuba very loudly and it scared the daylights out of me because it was so sudden and unexpected. It does seem to be a well-liked popular place, but I simply didn't enjoy it. The staff was wonderful but it's not enough reason for me to return.

Reviewed 28 July 2015

Pros:
Las Costas is hard to rate. They have the largest selection of Mexican style seafood I have seen anywhere, and very tasty (Server had never heard of chili rellenos--honest!!). The food is at least a 4, or 4.5 for taste, selection, and presentation.
No chips and salsa served with the meal.
They have at least one band playing at all times, sometimes two--very good atmosphere.
Now for the Cons:
The food and drinks are pricey--most measls are $15 and up (One selection for a large group $124). The large plain margarita is $13--and WEAK for both our drinks.

2  Thank carolyn021
Reviewed 13 May 2015

I loved the Margaritas they were great. They have a great looking menu if you like seafood. You have to go. We only went for drinks but had to get an appetizer Shrimp and Octopus. They have a mariachi band that were so good. Next time it will be dinner.

1  Thank Cheryl W
Reviewed 6 October 2014

This is our third visit to this restaurant authentic Mexican restaurant but above your standard Mexican restaurant, they cook fresh food, great service the best is Snapper fish which is grilled to perfection,HUACHINANGO SARANDEADO this is not your fillets you are used to!! it is whole fish grilled and buterflied sliced.you will pay market price of the day, there are many other choices too!!.Really Delicious food.Antonio the server was great.There is a live Mariachi band playing on the weekends.

1  Thank fariaz14