“I liked this place”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2017

The man who cooked for us was amazing I didn't get his name. He put on a very good show. I order the ninja steak,chicken and shrimp. Only thing I didn't like was the waitress was rushing everyone leave and pay.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

Daruma's is near the mall and has plenty of parking. The food is great and Van (if you get him) is an excellent cook and showman. On the weekend expect to wait, because everyone knows about this place.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

As a combination dinner and entertaining evening out, especially for special occasions with young kids, this teppanyaki (teppan=iron plate, yaki= grilled) steakhouse isn’t bad—décor is atmospheric and the entreés (beef, chicken, shrimp or almost any combo thereof) are good and more than ample (around $24). But the included soup is a tasteless broth with a few mushrooms floating in it, the salad is forgettable iceberg lettuce topped with what is supposed to be a ginger dressing but was generic tasting (no sign of ginger), and the dessert is a scoop of garish-neon-colored sherbert (not my favorite in the best of circumstances).

I’ve been here several times before with family who live in the area and have enjoyed the pyrotechnics and chef’s jokes and knife-tossing antics. But the other night, for the first time, I didn’t feel like such a bounteous spread so opted for sushi. I’m not an expert, but I’ve eaten my share of sushi/sashimi/nigiri—just the night before I had been to a sushi restaurant where I Googled a refresher course. It’s just that I can’t keep all the types straight in my head. On our menu, though, they were not tagged as sushi, etc., and not wanting a large, one-note “roll” with a lot of ingredients, I ordered what was called simply the nine-piece appetizer…thinking it would arrive over the usual vinegared rice. But no, only the raw salmon, yellowfin, and one other—which I could never flag down the waitress to get the name of—with a small lump of shaved daikon (some things I do remember). I expressed dismay to the waitress, who said what I wanted was nigiri—which was on the menu in the other room at the sushi bar. Who was to know there was a separate menu? Next time….I asked if she could bring me rice on the side, which she gladly and promptly did.

I’m not a knowledgeable saki drinker, either, but decided to order some and give the younger folks a taste of the exotic. Only house sake, hot and cold, was available; I got the hot. Of course everyone else hated it, and I must say I did not care much for it, either. I’ve had better. Perhaps a larger choice is on that other menu, as well.

Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

We went on the spur of the moment after shopping. The chef was great in the aspect of presentation and performance. The food on the other was something left to be desired. They don't allow for substitutions, so that's fine. The yum yum sauce seemed too thin and lacked the taste I have had at other places. The appetizer shrimp tasted as it was cooked in a burned pan. The chicken was fine nothing to write home about. They make sure once you order and have tasted your food you can't change your mind. I wish the food have been as good as the performance. Price was fair for the type of restaurant. I wish it would have been better, would have been nice having a Japanese Steakhouse on this side of town we could enjoy.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

This is the second time for Terri and I at this restaurant and we enjoyed it last time and this time.
Combo chicken, steak and shrimp was great as was the service.