“Just day-hiked in and out (very happy we didn't stay the night.)”
Review of Len Foote Hike Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dawsonville
Len Foote Hike Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Dawsonville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We arrived around 4pm Saturday, March 17th, and were shocked at all the children running around *screaming*. So much for a "restful" environment. I seriously do not understand why they ban phones and liquor when they do nothing to provide an actual peaceful, calm getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Sadly, this place has ended up like most "family friendly" places in Amercia- crawling with screaming kids ignored by their parents. (I wish I was as good at tuning them out as the parents seem to be.) So disappointed! We'll leave this place to families with kids.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Michele S

Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife and I have stayed at he Hike Inn once before and enjoyed our stay greatly. This trip was no different, everything was great. The staff even recognized us from from our last trip a year ago. They are very considerate and constantly checking to see that everything is satisfactory. The food is something we always look forward to, especially after and before the hike. The views during the hike and from the inn are amazing.
The hike inn is very Eco friendly and if you are not very conservation minded you may not like it. They have composting toilets, which some people may not like, which I generally do not from previous bad experiences. However, these composting toilets are completely different from the ones I was accustomed to back when I was a boy scout. These toilets do not have a smell and actually have a cool refreshing breeze that comes out of them, which can be a little disconcerting at first. They are also conserve energy and run everything through solar power, even heating the water through solar power, which gets pretty hot.
I have seen comments about there either being too much or not enough food, which is completely ridiculous. I am a pretty big guy and I can tell you I have never left their dining room hungry, and if I have left stuffed that was my own fault not theirs. They have a rule that you eat what you put on your plate and leave nothing, to reduce waste. A good rule of thumb is put too little and repeat if you need to so that there is little chance of you not eating it all, there is more than enough food to repeat. If you should leave something on the plate you are not scolded as they stated. They do weight the scraps and should the weight of the scraps exceed the set goal they will put a sad face on the dry erase board for that meal. Regardless of whether that happens you are not going to have a staff member reprimanding you should you leave something on your plate, as was stated I other comments. They only ask that you be conscious of what you eat and leave behind. You are also required to pack out all trash that you bring in with you, a logical request I believe.
Ultimately it is a great get away, from everything and if you don't mind being a little more Eco consciencious you'll love it here. I will definitely be returning, hopefully one day when I am getting ready to do the AT.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The scenery and hike are nice, and accomidations are rustic but adequate. The staff will corner guests and begin rambling away even when nobody is interested and bored to tears. We didn't like being lectured at, and scolded for our lifestyle choices. We were also FORCED to overeat even when we were full.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
14  Thank 588woodsman
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We took our family of five (kids ages 11, 8 and 5) on the hike to the inn. The hike was a little tough for our youngest. We carried him on the uphills but it was all worn it when we arrived. Beware the first mile and a half was the hardest for our kids but after that they were good to go. Cold lemonade and southern sweet tea awaited us upon arrival.

The inn is a sprawling structure made up of five different buildings draping down a hillside. We reserved two adjoining rooms for our group of five. Each room had two beds ( bunks) leaving one of us to use a thin mattress on the floor. We did not use this option and chose to squish in the four beds. So...if you have an odd number in your party and you hear there are three beds in a room, know that one of those is on the floor.

Besides that, everything was great. Being conservation minded, you select a mug when you arrive, label it with your name and use it for the stay to reduce water usage by not washing
extra glasses. Meals were served family style and the was plenty of choice for the non- red meat eater and three picky kids to still get their fill. When eating the idea is to eat what you serve yourself to reduce food waste. Also if you create trash, you need to pack it out with you ( this doesn't include toilet paper) so bring a few plastic bags.

There are showers and toilets ( composting variety but smell free). There is a rustic room with games, books and even a guitar overlooking the forest. All but one of us was up at 7 am to watch a gorgeous sunrise. Probably could have stayed two days and chilled the middle day reading, hiking etc. but we left the following morning.

For those of you who are more serious hikers you can make this a more strenuous loop by either coming or going via the appalachain trail feeder route. You could also take a hike to set foot othe actual AT from the Hike Inn. Amicalola state park also has some nice options that we did not explore.

Our kids loved this experience and said they wanted to come back. Hopefully we will.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Abole
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is a great mini-vacation 1.5 hours north of Atlanta! Park in Amicalola State Park and make a little harder than easy hike into a rustic lodge that does have hot water & blow dryers. Have a wonderful family style dinner, nice sleep in a bunk, hearty breakfast and hike out again. Beautiful views and great staff. Have done this twice once with 12 ten year old girl scouts and once as a girl trip...good for all ages! NO TV or cell service :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dawsonville
4.3 km away
Hall House Hotel
#6 of 8 in Dahlonega
32.4 km away
Blue Ridge Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Len Foote Hike Inn? Share your experiences!