“Great property, but occasional uncomfortable situations”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dahlonega
Cavender Creek Cabins Resort
Atlanta
“Great property, but occasional uncomfortable situations”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed at The Gilmore Estate for my husband's 40th birthday. The waterfalls beyond the house are gorgeous and secluded and we had a good weekend. However, the management's behavior was odd and I would not necessarily come again. While I was treated fine, my in-laws were treated rudely and it was a bit embarrassing. I asked by email if they could come early to surprise my husband and decorate the cabin and he said that was fine. However, when they did not return the key immediately (which neither they nor I were told to do) the owner called and lectured them that they were lucky that he was so "tactful" as the owner of the house would not have been and he would have to charge them if there were any damages to the house. It was very strange. When I came to pick up our key, he said that they didn't like loud parties on their property. I explained that my in-laws were (obviously) in their sixties, that my father-in-law was a priest and that we did not plan on doing any heavy partying. I also reminded him that we had emailed and he knew they were planning on coming to the house.

While my parents- in-law were there, they aired out the place and sprayed to get the musty smell out. The hot tub was not heated well enough to use it until the next morning. Although the house itself was large and luxurious, they did not prepare well for incoming guests. It is a large house, but the mattress in the guest room was of poor quality and there were certain amenities that were missing, such as extra blankets, a proper broom and decent vacuum cleaner to clean, and enough bowls and serving utensils. The chocolates were a lovely touch. It was also odd to have the owner within site of the house in what looked like a trailer, especially considering management's comments that he wasn't very friendly. Not too private! There were also no instructions at the house on what they expected done when you left.

Other things were odd, too. The first time I called, I was given the wrong price, double what the internet price was, by someone who was not the owner. The second time I called, I literally had to repeat my name six names and the woman on the phone did not seem aware of what email was. I do not have an accent and spoke very clearly. When my in-laws called, a woman said that she did not have us on the reservation list, which threw us in a panic. The owner was also very unclear about whether the lodge was free for paying guests or not. He said it was a grey area and if you were not a guest, you would have to pay. Of course, we were paying guests so I didn't understand the statement. I was also told they don't give email confirmations. Finally, my initial inquiry explained that we would be having multiple famiies stay at Cavender Creek as part of the birthday celebration and asked whether he could possibly give any group discount. He emailed back, "What do you mean?" It was odd and not very diplomatic. Group discounts are not unheard of when you're bringing in a lot of business, but he acted as if he'd never heard of such a thing. Also, be aware that, although we weren't told this, you can be charged a good deal of money (I can't recall whether it was 15 or 20) if you return your key past check- in time.

All in all, I might come back and stay one weekend but be aware that the the behavior of the owners can be odd, untactful and basically unprofessional. We had a great time because we rose above these things. I apologized to all the people who stayed with us who had uncomfortable dealings with the management. The cabins themselves are adorable and I don't think the owner meant any harm, he could just do with a few lessons in his dealings with guests.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank GeorgiaJohnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Canton, Georgia
Reviewed 19 March 2012

A small group of friends and I stayed here this weekend in cabin 10. The cabin offers everything you need, but do not be expecting tons of space or five star accommodations. The cabin was very clean and well stocked with kitchen supplies. Also, the hot tub was very nice and overlooked the fishing pond. On Saturday night we walked down to the creek behind the pond and built a really nice bond fire. The property is very relaxing and quite. Be sure to bring a fishing pole and hiking boots for the beautiful trail

Pros:
- location
- price
- clean
- quiet
- beautiful grounds
- full kitchen
- hot tub
- game room

Cons:
- the use of heavy fabric softener on all sheets, towels, etc.- two people in my group are very sensitive to these things. If you are sensitive, I would suggest you bring your own linens and towels.
- the decor and some things could use a little updating. (for our taste)

Overall, I think it is a good place to stay and a family would have a great time here.

Room Tip: Be sure to go for a unit with a hot tub. Also, I would recommend renting a cabin larger than you act...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank WJB1980
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We were only able to stay 1 night. Had great time, cant wait to go back and stay a few days

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2011

My husband and I visited Cavender Creek in late summer. The weather had been extremely hot and miserable and we thought a trip to the mountains would be much better than a trip to the beach. We were correct. The cool breezes and cool evenings were a welcomed relief. We could have not found a better place to relax. The owners were very helpful in reccomending near by places of interest, such as the gold mines. They also told us about several good food establishmemts. Cavender Creek is nestled in the north Ga. Mountains, however it is only 4 miles away from town. The cabins were comfortable and clean with all the amenities anyone would need. Can not wait to return and enjoy again.

• Stayed September 2011
Somewhere, USA
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Cavender Creek Cabins is one of the best places we have ever had the pleasure to stay. The cabin was neat and clean, the bed was comfortable and offered all the amenities of home - with none of the stress! Check out their nature trail, too!

After a day of hiking on the Appalachian Trail we soaked in the hot tub on the back porch while waiting for our steaks (and freshly picked Georgia corn from the Dahlonega Farmer's Market) to finish cooking. Sheer heaven!

In the morning we awoke, took our cups of coffee out to the porch and watched turkey and deer make their way through the woods and along the bank of the softly running creek that winds its way along the lower portion of the cabins.

Cavender Creek Cabins is centrally located to just about everything including downtown Dahlonega, several Appalachian hiking trails, a grocery store and the nearby town of Dawsonville boasts a great outlet mall for those who love to shop!

Do yourself a favor and stay here. I cannot express enough how wonderful this place is.
We cannot wait to return next year. We'll be counting the days!!

Room Tip: The cabins each have their own unique properties. Call Paul (the innkeeper) and he can point you to...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Zoe767
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dahlonega
23.4 km away
Park Place Hotel
#6 of 8 in Dahlonega
24.4 km away
Riverbend Motel & Cabins

Been to Cavender Creek Cabins Resort? Share your experiences!