“Charming place with good food"” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Suwanee, GA
“Charming place with good food"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Went there today (8/4/11) for lunch with five female friends, one who had been there several times prior and highly recommended it to us. If I'd read the last couple of reviews....I might have suggested we go somewhere else. But....I'm glad we didn't!

The house is very old and the various rooms, all with fireplaces, are decorated in a very charming manner. Our waitress was very sweet and attentive and kept our water & tea glasses filled. We ordered an appetizer of sweet potato chips, which was served almost immediately. We all thought they were good, but I thought they were a little bit greasy with too much of a salt taste - but I'm a person who never adds salt to my food. Thus, I would not order them again.

The food did take a little longer than would have been expected to be brought to the table, but thankfully was worth the wait! I ordered the vegetable plate and had a very nice salad w/raspberry dressing on the side, sweet potato souffle, green beans, and dressing with a side of gravy. It was all SOOOO good I wanted to inhale it! Everyone else felt the same with their orders. We all thought the food was excellent...and plan to return there again with our spouses!

I debated between giving a rating of 4 or 5 stars. If I hadn't ordered the chips (which a "salt person" would probably have loved) and the food hadn't taken quite as long, the rating would have been a 5. The rating for just my vegetable plate is a solid 5 stars!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Dawsonville, Ga
“Awful place to go - poor service, lousy food, ran out of dishes by 12:30 for lunch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

Went with our daughter, son in law and 2 grandchildren aged 6 and 4. The service was terrible. Had to wait forever for them to even take our order. At 12:30 they were out of one of the "special of the day" veggies. The grilled cheese that finally came for our grandson was burned on one side. The adult entrees were awful, they "ran out" of fried green tomatoes by the time they finally got our food ready. The chicken and dumplings was cold when it arrived and tasted like cream of chicken soup straight out of the can. The May review sounds exactly like ours except the A/C was working when we were there. The staff did not seem to know what they were doing and didn't seem to care and the food reflected that apparently the cook didn't either. It is a shame because the old house is nice with a wrap porch and lovely setting. What a waste with such lousy food and service.

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cumming, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful Experience for Mothers Day 2011”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

This place was awul. Not only was it uncomfortably hot (little or no air conditioning) the food was awful - you could do better at the deli of Kroger. There was no desert let ran out of certain food and no one seemed to care - I would advise anyone not to go. It is a shame - the staff just did not want to be there.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank localcumming
Canton, Georgia
“Great food and wonderful atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2009

Visited The Foster House this week with friends for lunch. Wonderful historical home used as a nice place for any meal, reception or group party. The staff is friendly, warm and very welcoming. Homemade very good foods.
I had the vegetable plate with fresh veges. Try the onion casserole...not what you expect by the name and is very enjoyable. The crowder peas were good as well as the great seasoned collards. Fresh cornbread and rolls.
Salads are fresh and crisp. Soup special of the day was French Onion.....very good.
Always a new pot of coffee. Desserts are homemade. The pineapple coconut cake was 4 layers and delicious. Large enough to split.
Daily specials, vegetables rotate not the same every day and same with desserts.
Prices are less than most chains and reasonable.

North Georgia
“great place for lunch with the girls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

I have been to the Foster House several times for lunch and the food is always great, the staff friendly, and the quaint atmosphere clean and inviting.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Foster House? Share your experiences!