“Tepid”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This restaurant was recommended to us by our waitress at Bernie's in Sautee. We were really looking forward to going to this seasonally open restaurant. much to my dismay we were severely let down. mozzarella lollipops = crisp with warm center - they were o.k. ; crab soup needed salt x2 - lukewarm temp ; foccia with oil dip = o.k. ; house salad = o.k., two caesar salads = oily caeser dressing is a little powerful - I keep belching it up. onion rings = delicious; Gouda mac and cheese = tasty but tepid; my plate - prime rib = grossly tepid ( I couldn't eat it), green beans - too under-cooked and barely warm, maple sweet potato was delicious with no butter and hot ( it would have been better with butter); his meal - ribeye - ordered medium rare - that had major potential but was a complete letdown because it was under-cooked - the steak didn't even melt the herbed butter, he liked cold green beans , baked potato was hot; child's meal - filet ordered medium rare was way under-cooked and cool to the touch , mashed potatoes were ok, didn't touch green beans; our waitress, Reagan, was fantastic. after talking to mgr and having him touch the meat (ribeye that wasn't even hot enough to melt the butter on top) - mgr comped under-cooked entrees.
I'm not sure what was going on tonight but I definitely was let down. will not return unless manager personally supervises our meal being cooked because whoever prepared our meals was not a "chef"

1  Thank Crystal M
James R, Owner at Chop House At Laprades, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Dear Crystal M,

I appreciate you taking the time to post a Trip Advisor review of my restaurant and letting us know about your experience. I'm sorry you didn't fully enjoy your meal with us. Normally our cuisine is served piping hot and this is first time I've heard a guest mention the temperature of the food. I'll be sure to review your comments with the staff and ensure that the food is served at the appropriate temperatures. I hope you decide to visit us again and I'm certain we'll exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

Few places in Clarkesville have views when dining but this restaurant has a good one.
The restaurant was very chili in spite of being seated by the fireplace. The food was ok , nothing to brag about. Two of us ordered soup and a half sandwich. When the bill came we both noticed an " up charge. " apparently since we did not order the soup of the day, it cost two dollars more . Yes it was on the menu but it would have been nice for the server to have mentioned it.

James R, Owner at Chop House At Laprades, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Dear Cameron1946,
Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor post for my restaurant. I appreciate you taking the time to review The Chophouse! We are currently closed for the winter months. We will be reopening in the spring with a new menu and a lot of exciting things to offer our guests. I hope to see you then.

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

This place came recommended from someone who grew up knowing the name but who had not yet been; my mom. I wanted to check it out and get her a gift certificate for Christmas. Not happening. Arrived at 7:30 on Saturday evening. Had to walk through the patio to get inside. Wait staff standing around at front door, one of them drinking, not being of much help in directing where we were to go. Were seated in the dining room, which actually is very aesthetically pleasing with a fireplace and big glass windows over the lake, by a friendly waitress. There was only one other occupied table which should have been a warning (they blamed emptiness on the rain). Waitress took our order: she crab soup, prime rib med rare, daily veg, cheese grits for me and bison chili, prime rib med rare, daily veg, and mashed potatoes for him. She crab soup was mediocre, watery, very little crab, no depth of flavor. Chili was no better, being bland and lacking acidity and spice. Entrees arrived and looked nice but were not executed well at all. Cheese grits were room temp with unmelted shredded cheese on top. Daily veg of beets and collard greens wasn't prepared well and each bite included a healthy dose if grit which rendered the veg inedible. The prime rib was absolutely awful. It was not tender, full of gristle, and had Zero flavor. It was truly the saddest piece of beef I've ever had and tasted of nothing (seriously, it was pink but had no beef flavor and no seasoning). To add insult to injury, the kitchen was blasting the radio while banging and scrubbing every pot in the kitchen so our totally subpar meal wasn't even quiet. The bill for prime rib x2, a glass of wine, and a beer came to $58 before tip. Totally disappointing. Was looking forward to having a place closeby to eat when in the area visiting my mom.

1  Thank Jenna H
James R, Owner at Chop House At Laprades, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Dear Jenna H,
I received your Trip Advisor post for my restaurant. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience with us. I've reviewed your comments with my management team and staff and have taken corrective measures to ensure these issues don't arise again. This is a slower time of year for us and there are no excuses for lax service. I hope you try us again in the future. Your next visit will be much improved.
Thanks, James Reaux

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

We Went for lunch. The She Crab Soup is delicious. BLT was good. Our service was very good. The Bison burger was very tasty! Great view of the lake.

James R, Owner at Chop House At Laprades, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Dear Roxanne H,
Thank you for taking the time to post a Trip Advisor review for my restaurant. I'm very glad your party enjoyed themselves. We pride ourselves on the quality of our food and service and it's nice to hear our guests positive comments. I hope to welcome you back to the Chophouse at Laprade's in the near future.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Excellent restaurant with great view of one the most beautiful lakes lakes in North East Georgia. Has ample seating in inside and outdoor sections of the restaurant. Menu includes a variety of comfort food selections including burgers, steaks, tuna, fish and chips. Ample selection of domestic and foreign beer and wines. Good service, good food and reasonable prices

James R, Owner at Chop House At Laprades, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear jkriegsmann,
Thank you for taking the time to post a Trip Advisor review for my restaurant. I'm very glad you enjoyed your experience with us! We pride ourselves on offering great quality food and service in a relaxed upscale atmosphere. I'll be sure share your comments with the staff. Please visit us again in the future.