“Pleasant Surprise”

Fort Mountain State Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 31 May 2016

We rented Cabin No 6 during our kids' spring break this past April. We took our 50lb dog and since the cabin was a pet-friendly cabin, I was expecting a dive of a room, but I was pleasantly surprised. The ca in was updated, well-furnished and very clean. The staff was very helpful and the park was very peaceful. We hiked with the kids' and the dog and had a relaxing long weekend.

1  Thank Denise J
"bath house"
"memorial day weekend"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 26 May 2016 via mobile

Check in was easy and fast. The staff was helpful and friendly. The camp site was very wooded and large. You were almost too isolated. They helped the bath house and grounds very clean. I would give the camping area a 4 star. The lake was beautiful and it had a trail that circled it. The park had very good hiking trails that were well maintained.
I was disappointed in the mountain bike trails. They were old service roads that were not used very often.
Overall it is a good place to camp.

Reviewed 25 May 2016

This state park is so peaceful. It is so laid back. The lake is nice to go fishing in or taking a boat ride. This is a park that you can spend the day at or you can camp overnight. The campgrounds are really nice. The bathhouses are always clean.

Reviewed 24 May 2016

This is a smaller yet spacious state park that offers amazing views of the mountains and surrounding towns in the valleys. The drive up to the park is scenic. There is a lake and beach with cottages and campsites, and plenty of hiking trails as well. There is also a restore stone fire tower that is sometimes open for tours. A lot of history is found in this park. Definitely recommended for either the tourist or local person to see.

1  Thank DM_1278
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 May 2016

I have been to this camp ground twice now. It is in a very scenic place. The campground is awesome. Lots of conveniences, clean, safe, fun, affordable etc. The lake is awesome to relax and cool off after a long hike. Or a moonlit swim if your sneaky like me. Last time I went here is was in the high 90s in the town down below and very humid. I was worried I would be miserable there in a tent. There was a late thunderstorm while I was riding my bike that cooled it off. The temperature there at night was perfect. The lake water was warm and steamy, so perfect for a late night dip, don't tell the rangers. While I was biking the camp manager put my stuff out of the rain so it wouldn't get wet. That was so nice cause I had quickly set up camp and went for my typical bike ride. The bike riding is awesome. Steep grades, awesome overlook views, drivers that are understanding. Just perfect for a road cyclist like me.

The beach is nice to get a tan. I always take the 8 mile hike around the whole park. It is awesome. The views are to die for. There are few people there and you feel like you have the whole park to yourself. But watch out for the bears. Saw two. One while biking one while hiking. Very close encounter, but I wasn't scared. They are very scared of humans. Just nice to interact with nature. The fort is pretty cool too, with an ominous story if you read about it.

1  Thank jessicaf1971