“Great Prime Rib!”
Review of The Black Bear Pub

The Black Bear Pub
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Big Canoe
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We went for the Prime Rib special on Thursday night. It did not disappoint! My husband & I both had the 12 oz. and it was plenty big! The salad was very good, my broccolini and wild rice were excellent, as also my husband's mashed potatoes and sautéed vegetables. We really didn't have room for the "included" dessert (Coconut Tres Leches Cake), but ate it anyway - delicious!

1  Thank 123Freckles

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

This is a lovely spot for grab a bite to eat, overlooking the lake and golf course! We ate there several times for lunch and dinner. They have TVs too. We stayed in Big Canoe for a week and loved every minute! We took the boat out and saw eagles and dear! We ventured to local waterfalls and other local treasures.

1  Thank Beachbums32903
Reviewed 10 February 2018

We have lived in Big Canoe for 18 years and often enjoy the Pub. We enjoy their Sunday brunch, their lunches and an occasional dinner.

1  Thank Gamma596
Reviewed 16 November 2017

First of all Craig is a great guy and excellent Bartender. But this place is just such a mismanaged mess it really is sad. Some of the food is solid but consistency is not there at all. But the other things about this place are what make it so frustrating and not just for me but the whole community and especially guests who visit.

The fact that on trivia night they have like 4 things on the menu in the pub because "the kitchen can't handle it" So we spent millions designing a restaurant that can't handle Trivia night, seriously?

Add to that we have a community of people who are avid sports fans yet instead of doing a great Monday Night Football Event every week which would draw like crazy what do they do. O just shut down the place at 8PM. Talk about shooting yourself in the head.

Things like the Bear mugs are so cool then you have food so inconsistent that you just don't bother. I have spent many nights in there just watching and observing. It could be an amazing place. Just look at Sourwood, they blow this place so far out of the water it is not even funny. Pretty sad I tell everyone don't bother going for anything but a drink with Craig.

Really disappointing we as owners have to subsidize this place when it could be a profit center and the center of the entire community. We are a resort community with 1000's of renters each year. We should cater to them and get them to spend there money yet I rarely see any "guests" there. Probably because they have heard how inconsistent it is and would rather not take the chance.

I actually think the employees try but management is in over their head or just don't have the direction they need to succeed. So hopefully we get a new GM of the community with serious F&B talent and he can turn it into what the community deserves.

1  Thank RFAD
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

My husband and I are at Big Canoe pretty regularly. The staff is phenomenal and service/ food spectacular. Craig is a friendly face we have seen for quite a few years; he always remembers us. Kristen was fun at Halloween and we always enjoyed our food. I had the in-house Pizza four times. It was unbelievable! They also have the best Hamburger, too. So sitting at the 18th hole overlooking Lake Sconti makes this a perfect place to visit while in Big Canoe!