“Happy hour is the best!”

Umi Japanese Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Umi Japanese Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 347 Restaurants in Winter Park
Price range: USD 15 - USD 30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Umi offers a unique twist to the traditional Japanese cuisine in Central Florida. Every menu item is prepared by using meticulous methods starting from the preparation down to the execution. The dishes express refinement and art in the chefs final presentation to you. Locals and world travelers alike are treated to a dining experience to share small plates cooked from the robata grill, kitchen and the sushi bar, or dive into our Signature sushi rolls and Moriawase platters. You'll find Japanese, Korean and European flavors in our food and in the masterly crafted desserts that are a hit amongst locals. Navigate to our online menu and come in to see and taste for yourself! Chef de Cuisine César Cruz and Head Sushi Chef John Park select only the finest and freshest produce, seafood and meats sourced locally and from around the world, insuring that each handmade dish is prepared just for you. Are you a world traveler and love artwork? The restaurant walls are lined with authentic Japanese artwork from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries used for decoration. Japanese screens, woodblock prints, masks, tables/stands, ceramics and wood carvings are just a few of the things you will spot while dining.
Reviewed 8 November 2016 via mobile

Enjoy the grilled squid appetizer, a happy hour favorite! Delicious, simple, freshly prepared japanese food.

Reviewed 2 November 2016

Some of the best sushi we have ever had! The tuna caesar salad was so good, the tuna melted in your mouth. And DO NOT pass up the garlic lime edamame! We took another order to go it was so yummy!

Reviewed 25 September 2016

Tried this place for the first time last night.
They had a wait for inside seating, so we sat outside with no wait.
Took about 10 minutes for the waitress to come over anyways.
Ordered several different dishes, totaling about $60.
They were good! The lobster was great, and the Tuna Tataki was really tasty too.
The dishes are small, so I then ordered a 30 dollar "chef's choice" sashimi platter.
..... The sashimi platter came, included standard sashimi options such as salmon and tuna, and some not-so-typical ones such as Oysters and Shrimp.
We started eating the sashimi we were used to, and my wife insisted that the Shrimp was raw (I know all sashimi is raw, but I didn't believe that they would give us raw shrimp, that is just not common by my knowledge, and I've ordered sushi and sashimi at many places before, so I'm not a newbie). Eventually, I attempted to eat the shrimp, sure enough it was raw,.. and it was so gross, I had to spit it out, I could not get the taste out of my mouth for 30 minutes after. One waitress came by and I told her we kinda had an issue, and she said she would send the manager over .... manager never came.
So, when the other waitress came back, I explained to her that we could not eat the shrimp, and that we thought it was sketchy. I also said that I don't think oysters are considered to be sashimi, they were not even listed among the a la carte sashimi on the menu. Then, she proceeded to lecture me about how with the "chef's choice", you can not choose what you get, and that "all sashimi is raw."
Wow .... I know that all sashimi is raw, and I know that we don't get a choice.
I was just hoping for some good customer service, and expected it based on all the other reviews of this place.... but, no.... She gave us such a hard time about it, and all they gave us was a 3 dollar seaweed salad to appease us. ..... tf? (Also, keep in mind that I have already ordered almost $100 worth of food at this point.)
The waitress didn't even attempt to make it right, all she did was try to argue that THEY were right. What is an extra 2 or 3 pieces of sushi, or some sympathy, to earn a return customer?
I've gotten better customer service at casual dining restaurants where meals cost 10 bucks.
Such a disappointment... terrible attitude.

Reviewed 18 September 2016

I usually have a problem with verbosity, but I'm actually at a loss for words. Hands down, one of the best meals I've ever eaten. The service was spot on. Dish after dish was gorgeous to look at, and the flavors were out of this world. Fantastic place for a date night, or a special occasion. Very, very impressed!

Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

What an amazing lunch we had today. It was so beautiful, fresh and delish. Wish I would have taken a picture. We ordered the raw Bento and it was spectacular. The real surprise were the kimchi croquettes. The miso soup was a perfect way to start off (which came with the lunch). The sashimi melted like butter in your mouth. I can say enough and can't wait to go back with my husband.