“I can't believe all the phony reviews”

BEST WESTERN Palm Beach Lakes
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in West Palm Beach
New York City, New York
“I can't believe all the phony reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Those who know me know I am a straight shooter. I travel alot and I am not a Prima donna. When I read reviews that say how "great" or "the best hotel I have ever stayed at" after I stay in a place that is basically a circa 1962 hotel with very little if any updates in 30 years, I know is a phony review. I booked 2 nights through Hotwire for $60.00 a night in February with my two teenage girls. We arrived late from a wedding and proceeded to the room, The smell of mildew was so overpowering it literally burned in my throat. My daughter wanted to sleep in the car the stink was so bad. The bathroom was disgusting as well as the rest of the room. Called the front desk at 1AM only to be told "there was nothing we can do" They said they would make some financial compensation. We left first thing in the AM, dropped the keys and did not return for the second night. I called Hotwire, received a full refund and they blocked this hotel from ever showing up on my acct. again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Steve B
murray123, Manager at BEST WESTERN Palm Beach Lakes, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Steve B.
Just wanted to apologize for the experience you encountered while staying at our hotel. While we are an older property we take great pride in the cleaniness of our rooms as well as the overall appearance of our hotel.
We value all reviews both positive and negative and in fact used your review at our staff meeting to avoid anyone having such an experience in the future.
Once again, please accept our apology's.
Sincerly
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Finnish first
Bresso, Lombardia, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I spent a very relaxing week in Palm Beach Lakes BW hotel: very nice room and very good breakfast.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I was so surprised not only at the exquisite nature of the hotel full of plant life, grass, and beautiful amenities, but at the kind, helpful staff that made sure my stay was the best it could possibly be! Clean and beautiful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

We stayed here for a week.Staff was pleasant and accomodating. Our room overlooking the shuffleboard court was clean and large, except for the bathroom, which was very small.The sink, tub, and toilet were all in one area and only one person at a time could comfortably fit in the area.The tub drain did not hold water in the tub.To be fair, I did not notify mgmt, as we did not want to be bothered. The breakfast was o.k., with two kinds of cereal, oatmeal, bagels,waffles(make fresh), juice, and bananas, apples, and oranges.It was quiet except for one night when a guest brought THREE barking dogs, who woke us up in the morning.The only two recommendations I would make are softer toilet tissue and towels(they could really have used some fabric softener) Be aware that if a workout room is important to you, it is actually at another hotel two blocks away.You will get a free pass to use.

Room Tip: Our room facing the shuffleboard court had lights shining in the window all night, which the blackou...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Palm Coast, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

This is an older Best Western and, by Florida standards, probably qualifies as a "historic inn". It's not impressive from the outside, but it is very serviceable and well worth considering if you're in the area.

The thing that most struck me about this hotel is that it is ABSOLUTELY SPOTLESS. It was so clean that I stopped the housekeeping staff and complimented them (a first for me) on what a thorough job they were doing. That said, the rooms were very pleasantly decorated and tasteful. Our room looked out over an interior courtyard, which was quite pleasant, with pool and very nice gardens. I would also like to point out the front desk clerk (Nadia) who was among the most pleasant front desk people I have ever met. Made check in a pleasure. The hotel was also a good value, for that part of the room.

Things that weren't quite so good were the wireless internet (there seemed to be plenty of signal, but I could never get on the net in 40 minutes of trying - might have been my fault) and the shower, which took forever to get hot water going (it did, eventually). The breakfast was at best adequate, although they did have a wide variety of bagels available, which is unusual for a "cellophane bagel" place. The whole wheat bagel was a treat.

So, bottom line, this hotel is well worth considering if you like clean comfortable accommodations with friendly staff and a pleasant overall feel for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool. That's about 1/2 the rooms. The others give a wonderful v...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple