“A very pleasant surprise”
Review of Plum Tomato

Plum Tomato
Ranked #165 of 359 Restaurants in Vero Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 9 March 2017

This small Italian restaurant near the center of vero beach was a very pleasant surprise . We had driven past many times and always said we will have to give it a try sometime! Tonight we met some friends there and we will be dining there again soon. We each had something different and all choices were great! My husband had the veal piccata and said it was the best he has had in some time. Very tender and large portion. We sampled the pizza and that was delicious.The meals came with toasted Italian bread slices and a tasty olive oil and spices to dip it in, fresh, crispy salad or tasty Italian soup. All in all it was a great choice.

Reviewed 23 February 2017

This place is awesome staff is very friendly, food is fresh I mean fresh ingredients made fresh etc.. food is awesome . Will return and continue to return.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

HORRIBLE experience. Being 3rd generation Italian, I am straight up offended by the food I was served in this establishment. Granted, I usually have ridiculously high expectations that I have to dial back, and I acknowledge that I'm more than likely not going to get anything that can hold a candle to my grandmother's home cooking. However, this restaurant was a totally different story.

First off, their menu leaves something to be desired as they only have 4 options under each category. I still cannot even fathom that a menu so simple didn't even offer spaghetti and meatballs, the most BASIC Italian staple. I still gave it the benefit of the doubt and ordered the stuffed shells, because honestly how can you mess those up? Well I was informed that they were out of stuffed shells, one of only 4 pasta options they offered (at an ITALIAN restaurant, sorry still in disbelief), and they suggested I try the manicotti instead.

So I agreed to the manicotti and was met with a small soggy, cheese-covered log surrounded by flavorless ziti and some smashed up tomatoes. It was almost as if the ziti was being used as filler to cover up how pathetic the manicotti looked on the plate, and the 'sauce' tasted like watery battery acid with tomato chunks that were just too big. My husband's dish wasn't any better. He ordered the shrimp scampi and received a plate of the same awful ziti/water-sauce combo with some breaded fried shirimp thrown in. My in-laws were with us as well, and aren't typical complainers and so ate their food without issue. However, I can tell you that their food did not look any better.

This was supposed to be a nice family dinner, and ended up being massively embarrassing for my husband and I. Even though they were polite about it, we were horrified that we took his parents to someplace so lazy, sloppy, and just plain awful.

I do not review places unless I feel strongly, and I can definitely attest that this place is a total rip-off. You'd get more bang for your buck heading over to the local Olive Garden if that's your thing.

2  Thank Jacqueline_LeClaire
Reviewed 11 August 2016

We went here with a friend for lunch. Not a huge menu, but everyone should be able to find something with no problem. One in our group had a pizza and it looked great. The crust was perfectly done and the toppings were ample. Two if us had subs and thet were excellent. The sandwiches were nicly done and the mwat very tasty. They were so large that neither if us ciuld finish. We both took half of our sandwiches home and haf tgem fot lunch the next dsy. Nothing fancy here, just good food in a neighborhood place. Sometimes that's all that's needed.

Reviewed 27 May 2016

Have only tried the the pizza so far but we'll be back to try more. The pizza very Very good . The crust was nice and crispy and tasty too. They are very generous with the toppings. I'd say twice the amount I've had anywhere else. Theses are real Italians cooking here. So refreshing to taste authentic pizza. We can't wait to go back‼️