“Charming”

Shrine of Saint Michael Taxiarchis
Ranked #4 of 22 Tours in Tarpon Springs
Reviewed 15 July 2013

St Michael's is a charming little Shrine nestled away in a residential area of old Tarpon Springs. Built about 75 yrs. ago by a Greek Lady to honor St. Michael for the miraculous cure of her son. Since then there have been other cures attributed to it. Inside it is very peaceful and obviously a place of worship. Please be respectful.

6  Thank cordyroy
"praying"
in 4 reviews
"greek"

Reviewed 8 July 2013

This little shrine is located among homes in a residential neighbourhood. Nobody in the Sponge Docks could tell us where it was, and we asked many, many people. Finally, we found a postman delivering mail, and that person told us how to find it. It was well worth the visit. It is a very small building, with a nice story about how it was created. It is worth finding and seeing if you are at the Sponge Docks, and if religious Christian sites are meaningful to you. It's free to see, parking is free, and you only need 15 minutes to half an hour to see it and experience it.

5  Thank cubatourist
Reviewed 9 June 2013

In August 1991, I was diagnosed with a rare incurable disease.
and I was given 2 months to live. Upon discharge from the hospital, my then fiance (my husband now) took me here to pray.
We were not members of the church but we thought we would come and visit. I am still around and I go there to pray and light candles.
There are a lot of people from all over who come to visit and pray. I got to know the volunteers that take care of the church. They are all Greek and very friendly.
It is a small church with icons and stained glass windows.
It may not be for everyone to visit but I enjoy going there.

8  Thank TRAVELdglobenow
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I have lived in Tarpon Springs now for 8 years and I try to get to St. Michael's Shrine at least once a month. It is a hidden jewel a few streets away from the sponge docks in Tarpon. If you have anyone who needs a healing prayer, this is the place to go. St. Michael is said to be the healing saint. There is no charge to go in, but only a donation should you want to light a candle. It is a beautiful little shrine. Very comforting and peaceful. Well worth a visit. Everyone knows someone who needs a prayer. If you're lucky enough not to, it is still so pretty to see.

7  Thank theduke345
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We found this little shrine by accident several years ago when we were on vacation on the west coast of Florida. We live there now and visit this chapel every time we are in that area, Tarpon Springs. It is like visiting a little Greek village. The Shrine was built by a Greek woman who credited St. Michael with curing her sick child. If you go, be sure to read the printed handout they provide for more info. Plus they ring the bells (Angelis) at 6:00 (not sure what days they do this) but it is very special. The inside of the chapel is beautiful and feels very spiritual. Love it.

6  Thank Isi1234