“Good Food”

Columbia Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 2,621 Restaurants in Tampa
Price range: USD 15 - USD 40
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Historic Ybor
Cross street: 21st street
Description: Open 365-days a year, including all holidays. Serving lunch & dinner daily. Reservations accepted. In addition to award-winning Spanish/Cuban cuisine, the Columbia features flamenco dance performances nightly, Monday - Saturday. The Hernandez Gonzmart family has been making restaurant history since 1905 when they opened their landmark Columbia Restaurant, which today is Florida's Oldest RestaurantSM. Today, 4th & 5th generation family members work hard to preserve the family's legacy that their great-grandfather Casimiro Hernandez, Sr. created over 113 years ago when he opened the Columbia as a corner café frequented by local cigar workers. Casual attire is fine, but we don't allow sleeveless shirts on men. Our guests enjoy many of the same century-old family recipes that have made the Columbia famous like Paella "a la Valenciana," Snapper "Alicante," and the Original Cuban Sandwich. Don't miss Columbia's Original "1905" Salad(R), prepared tableside.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I ate here on a Thursday night. We arrived at 6:00 pm and were seated immediately. We opted for the tapas trio sampler to split, whereby you pick three tapas from their entire list of between 15 and 20. (We WANTED to choose about 15 of them!). We got the lobster croquettes (came with 2), the beef empanadas (came with 2), and the sea scallops casserole. These three items, plus bread and butter, comprised our whole meal. We could have easily added a fourth tapas. Instead, we each had dessert. That plus one glass of wine and one beer ended up costing about $80 with tip. The food was good but the tapas could have been served hotter (in temperature).

Write a ReviewReviews (5,227)

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Is a great place to eat . one of the oldes places still open in the historical area of Ybor City in Tampa is worth the visit

guestservices1905, Public Relations Manager at Columbia Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you for dining with us. The Columbia is Florida's oldest restaurant, founded in 1905. We are still owned and operated by 4th and 5th generation members of our founding family.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Not only is the food, service and drinks great but so is this magnificently decorated and exterior and interior. It is expensive but worth it if you can afford to give yourself a special treat.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Service was great!! The food not so much.
VERY SALTY!! I don't understand why restaurants think they need to add so much salt.

1  Thank motomo31
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Went there with my wife for our 36 th wedding anniversary

First we were seated next to the piano so close we could have played a duet.

It was so loud I could not hear my wife so we had to ask to be moved.

The waiter was very nice and professional

The 1905 salad and bread are great

The veal isabella was without doubt the worst piece of veal I have ever had and for the first time I returned a meal after 1 or 2 bites. Waiter said he would let the manager know. The manager never came out to apologize

My wife had a shrimp and spaghetti dish that I ended up having some of and that while edible was not very good either.

I was surprised by all of this since I recently read that the owner was up for the James Beard restauranteur of the year - thats a joke.

when I read bad reviews on trip advisor it invariably revolves around bad service - this is not one of those - this review is on the bad food.

We will not go back and suggest you avoid this restaurant also

1  Thank bobbyk57

We never want to hear that we let our guests down. We are very sorry to read that on your anniversary celebration, you and your wife were both served meals that were not properly prepared. And when you mentioned this to your server, one of our managers never came out to correct the problems. We appreciate you leaving these comments so that we can share with our general manager for further investigation.

Been to Columbia Restaurant? Share your experiences!