“not nearly as good as I expected”

Residence Inn Tampa Downtown
Ranked #73 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 9 November 2017

We booked one of the small suites: bedroom + kitchenette because we weren't sure how long we would be in Tampa, and the price was reasonable for downtown.
First, the good things. The room was very clean, the fridge/microwave/cook surface nicely scrubbed. Two large TVs; sitting area and bedroom. Hallways also clean (i.e., no rugstains in hall or room. Plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, etc. easy to connect to WiFi. The full hot breakfast was very good.
BUT:
-there was construction going on below us, and painting on outside walls; drilling noises were intrusive, both the elevators were dirty with construction debris. The tiny lobby was full of loud workmen and noisy equipment wagons passing through which made registration tedious and annoying.
-the view out the windows was of the adjacent Mariott-Courtyard, also undergoing renovation. Between the two buildings all the construction debris made the view look like a town in Syria (that is, bombed out).
-the girl at the desk was slow in registration, with not much personality [rote greetings, questions, information] gave instructions in parking across the street, then failed to give me a parking sticker and the gate code until I asked about it.
-the room thermostat was very insensitive: very slight adjustments made the room either too cold or too warm.
-the tub drain was soooo slow - a 5 minute shower brought the tub water up over my ankles; about 3 inches.
-on our 2d day walking around Tampa all day, we got back to the room looking for a soothing and cool shower but found there was NO WATER (shower, sinks, toilet).
-the room rate increased over $100 between day 1 and day 2.

We left after two days. I should point out that the manager gave us a $100+ reduction for the 2d day because of the water problem. Some of my complaints are probably temporary, but still, we won't be back. I expected Marriott to be a much better quality than we got. It's not bad enough to be 'poor', but 'average' is probably a bit of a stretch.

Room Tip: elsewhere for 2017-18
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Tamela P, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I communicated the information over to the correct departments and we are making changes immediately. Please allow us another chance when your travels bring you back to Tampa.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

Stayed here for 6 nights last month, the hotel is under construction and is very dirty with workers coming in an out. The food in the morning and evening was not edible, after sitting in the makeshift dining room you would not even have an appetite to try the inedible food. Out of the 6 nights I stayed my room was only serviced twice, even asking the front desk to have it serviced. I was also surprised when checking out I had over 4 different charges on my credit card that the front desk lady couldn't explain. Upon arriving home I had an additional charge and couldn't even get anyone on the phone to explain or send me a receipt. The only thing I came away with from the hotel were two of their staff, a young man working the dining area in the evening and a young girl working the front desk, both were very nice and helpful. Would recommend staying at another downtown hotel if you have the option, I would guess any are better than this one.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Tamela P, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very sorry that you had an experience like this. Although, we pride ourselves with providing a memorable experience, it seems that we have fallen short on your stay. Please give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time your travels bring you back to Tampa.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

Room was great, very comfortable and remodeled.
However, some of the staff need improvement. I did not feel very safe as at once I asked for a hotel key (when I lost mine) and no identification was asked from my part, they just gave me the key. On the floor I stayed (long stay=three weeks) one of the maids kept the lock on to facilitate her from entering and exiting rooms she was cleaning instead of using a doorstopper, this resulted in slamming sounds each and every time she was going in and out of every single room (try working on your laptop with that sound).
I was in the conference room another day, trying to connect to a work meeting and another member of staff entered, asking me if it bothered me if she cleaned the carpet with the vaccuum to which I responded that I was taking a meeting, if she could postpone it just by a bit. She didn't understand or didn't care and continued to clean the room with the vaccuum. I had to leave the conference room.
Food is ok.
Location is great.
I'm very considerate of staff, but they have to consider that the majority of their guests are people on business.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Tamela P, Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2017

Thank you so much for reviewing your stay with us. I have passed the information you provided to the appropriate department and we are addressing these issues immediately. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Tampa.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Hotel was in urgent need of a renovation. The rooms were very worn and breakfast was of "ok" quality. The front desk staff at check in ignored me while I stood waiting to check in. Helping guests that walked in behind me first was inconvenient as we were in a hurry. The courtyard was beautiful, clean and one of the best I've seen! The hot tub was perfect after a long day. It was my favorite part of the whole stay! I'm sure the rooms after renovation will looks amazing and I'm excited to stay again!

Room Tip: A view over the Courtyard was awesome!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Tamela P, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Unfortunately, there is room for improvement. Please when your travels bring you back to Tampa please allow us the opportunity to provide you with a more memoreable stay.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I stayed here in a newly re-done suite, and it was lovely. I had everything I needed, and enjoyed the comp. treats in the evening. Breakfast was also good, being re-stocked continuously by a conscientious hostess. I enjoyed my stay.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Tamela P, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2017

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay. The next time that your travels bring you to Tampa please think of us.