See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 September 2016 via mobile

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Flip Flop Cottages in Siesta Key. My cottage was clean and nicely updated. The location was great being away from the congested north end of the island (but still just a short drive for beach going or restaurants. Richard was very friendly and welcoming when I checked in. He was busy renovating one of the cottages while I was there but always had the time to stop and chat. He offered several great suggestions for things to do and places to eat.

Last but not least, your pet is not just accepted at the Flip Flop Cottages but truly welcome !

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Chowhound321
Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

The good: Location. Reasonable distance from beach for price. (1 mile from Turtle beach, 3 miles from Siesta Key beach). Also, the cottages are located on intercostal and provide kayaks, canoes, paddle boards for free use. Gear is a little run down, but they are free!
Room rates were below average.

The bad: I stayed in Captiva room.
The A/C is a single ceiling unit that only supplies cold air to the main living room. Expect the sleeping area to be a good 4-6 degrees above set temperature depending on the outside temperature. We had to sleep on the couch the last night it was so hot in the bedroom. Also that last night, our AC went out on us late in the evening while sleeping. We woke up at 2am due to the high heat. We called the emergency number given to us due to no one being in the office. The owner lived close by so he was able to come over. The owner says that the units are fairly new, but he also mentioned that this has happened before. He said that we can't put the AC lower than 72, or system will overheat and shut off. 72 would not be so bad, but as mentioned before it will not be 72 in bedroom. It was likely 76-77 in the bedroom when set at 72. We finally got AC back around 4am. The owner did not offer any refund/discount for major inconvenience, but did offer us a 2 hr. later check out. It was apparent that they would not offer any reasonable discount for current stay no matter the circumstances or issue. Some other minor stuff like bed considerably sinks in the middle, low water pressure in shower, out of date appliances but all was not surprising given the below average price to stay.

Bottom line, flip flop cottages was not considerably bad, but do not expect a high level of customer service. I believe management will do what they can to correct an issue, but will not do anything at the expense of losing money. I have read reviews that were highly favorable, but also read some similar to mine. So it is possible to have a good experience, but hopefully your luck is better than mine.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brandon E
Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

It's taken me a while to write this review because I didn't want to write it out of anger, but I think it's only fair to share my experience so you know what to (possibly) expect. I had booked a room for myself and a friend for a her birthday weekend. We only live 12 minutes from the cottages so we are very familiar with the area. We were excited to have a night to be sans husbands and kids and enjoy a good dinner and some girl talk and some wine when we got back to the room. The cottages look so sweet from the outside and probably some of the rooms are a bit better, but we weren't super impressed upon arrival. Not very clean and just run down a bit. Nothing a little time and swapping out a few things couldn't help. Our real disappointment was when we found 3 dead roaches/palmetto bugs in our room. We cleaned the first one up ourselves and thought nothing of it. Then we found a second one on the bedroom floor that wasn't all the way dead and just couldn't bare to pick it up. We were feeling discouraged. We called management and said that we just didn't think we could stay and decided to leave. As we were washing our wine glasses we saw the third bug. We took out the trash and washed the glasses and returned the keys. We were in the room less than 60 min and left it as we found it, minus one dead bug. We were told that "this is Florida and there are bugs here and we spray for palmetto bugs, which is why they were dead." We didn't find that acceptable. We live here too and don't have bugs in our home and my husband and I have stayed at a near by resort (5 min away) and didn't see one bug in sight. We had hoped for a refund, but were denied. We were offered a 15% discount on our next stay and they were much apologetic. You should know I did try and dispute charges as well and it did not happen since we were welcome to stay in that room. We were so hoping for a great time here and ended up being very disappointed and out $211. I will say when we asked for a later check out, he said that was fine at no extra fee which we thought was gracious. Unfortunately, we were unable to take him up on it.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
6  Thank sandysunnysalty
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

We booked two cottages and the Heron House for a family vacation. The location of the cottages is lovely. At the south end of the key, it is less crowded, a couple of miles from Turtle Beach and surrounded by amazing homes. Check in was very easy. We followed the instructions in our email. There is plenty of parking and right in front of each cottage! We all went into our cottages/house and we're pleased with the size of each space. There is plenty of room to move around. Our cottage needed updating in the kitchen and bathroom, however, the cottage my sister stayed in, Cottage #1 had an updated kitchen. The AC unit in our cottage worked well but needed a little work in order to get it going. The AC in my sisters cottage did not work well at all. The floors in all three locations (my sisters cottage, my cottage, and Heron House) were filthy! My nephew who is crawling, looked like he crawled through the dirt. I took a washcloth and got down on the floor and cleaned the floor of my cottage (a ton of dog hair was on the washcloth). Our bathroom had this huge empty space behind the door that could be used a lot better than it is. Some drawer fronts are very worn or crooked. The last few nights, my sister found 2 cockroaches in her cottage (I think they were the Palmetto bugs which fly in with you) and they had a major problem with a raw sewage smell coming out of their bathroom. The pool is small but refreshing and the dock is nice although needs new furniture which isn't torn. All-in-all we had a nice stay, it served its purpose.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank casmith_93035
Reviewed 25 April 2016 via mobile

We had our wedding reception at this property 8 years ago and decided to visit for our anniversary weekend. The new owners have done a lot of work around the property and it looks beautiful!!

We stayed in the sunset cottage which is a romantic studio with complete kitchen, king size bed, and private patio with beach (sand with loungers)

We used the paddle boards and kayaks in the lagoon behind our cottage and rode the complimentary bikes to the secluded beach at the end of point of rocks road.

We had such a wonderful time and cannot wait to come back!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple