“Easter Sunday Brunch”
Review of Michael's On East

Michael's On East
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael's On East is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 1,165 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: USD 20 - USD 60
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bahia Vista
Description: Discover inventive cuisine, world-class wines and exceptional service in a glamorous supper club atmosphere. Live music, Tuesday - Saturday evenings.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

First the positive: Great dessert selection.

Now the negatives: If you expected an array of breakfast items you would have been disappointed. Basically eggs benedict.

I don't expect food to be served piping hot on a buffet but I do expect it to be at least warm. Food was not even warm.

The biggest negative was their outright misrepresentation of "prime rib". They were serving FLANK STEAK. I initially gave them a pass as our reservation was at 2:00, about an hour before they closed. So, I assumed they ran out of prime rib and substituted it with flank steak. Wow, was I wrong. The owner came by our table and made some small talk. He then moved over to a table across from us and the lady at the table asked him why they didn't serve lamb which is an Easter staple for many. His answer... well, we served prime rib this year. That is when I knew they were deliberately passing a much cheaper cut of beef off for prime rib.

Service was very spotty also.

For a supposedly "fine dining" restaurant it was a very disappointing experience. Sad. This place is resting on its laurels.

Michael K, Owner at Michael's On East, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

I would like to first thank you for your choosing to dine at Michael’s On East for Easter Brunch. We are in the business of exceeding our guests’ expectations and experience here at Michael’s On East. We obviously failed in our mission this evening & I wanted to personally apologize if your most recent experience did not reflect that high standard of excellence. Please email me at michael@bestfood.com and include the title of your TripAdvisor review in the subject line if you would be willing to contact me personally, that way I can learn more about your experience and welcome you back as my guest.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Michael Klauber

Reviewed 5 April 2018

One of the best, both in food, atmosphere and service, with upscale prices. Convenient free valet or street parking.

Thank you for the exceptional review, we truly appreciate the positive feedback. So glad you enjoyed your experience at Michael’s On East. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Michael Klauber

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

On the recommendation of an acquaintance, we made reservations for Easter brunch for a group that ranged from pre-teens to grandparents. The whole experience was excellent. The service was quick and friendly. Kimberly, our waitress, was attentive without hovering or rushing anyone. The food was varied and delicious. All items were fresh and hot, nothing appeared to be sitting around. Restaurant was full yet there was little crowding and waiting at the buffet. Would definitely repeat!

Michael K, Owner at Michael's On East, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive thoughts about Michael’s On East via TripAdvisor. I deeply appreciate your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon! I will let Kimberly know she received such a rave review. Best wishes, Michael Klauber Michael's On East Co-Proprietor 941-366-0007, ext. 236

Reviewed 31 March 2018

The GPS on our rental car mislead us in trying to find the restaurant on a back street behind a strip shopping mall. When we entered the eatery, we were not sure we were in the right place because it was a very loud, crowded spot with a bar feel with the house pianist singing happy birthday on a microphone. This was not what we expected in a high end restaurant. Our server was very good although a bit too folksy. We shared a good beet salad to start, and then my wife had the excellent duck two ways for her main course. I had the best veal chop of my life accompanied by sublime potatoes and excellent grilled zucchini. The bread was excellent, and the wine list extensive. Our apple pie dessert was very good. Would we go again? I'm not sure in spite of top-notch food. The loud ambiance was just not normal for a fine restaurant.

1  Thank Robert L

We are so sorry to have disappointed you. For over 30 years, I have had one singular focus for service in my restaurant - to treat our guests the way we would expect to be treated! Obviously we failed in our mission that evening. I will read your review to my staff tonight and go over your experience with them. We will take your comments to heart and work hard not to let you be disappointed again. I hope you will return and let us show you how we do it right! Please contact my personal email at: michael.klauber@bestfood.com. Best wishes, Michael Klauber Michael's On East Co-Proprietor 941-366-0007, ext. 236

Reviewed 31 March 2018

My first reaction upon entering Michael's was that it looked like 1980's posh - a high level of décor that's not keeping with the times. Of course, the restaurant was quite busy, so I guess there's a market for that style. The food was pricy and just okay. I ordered the swordfish, which came with a nice presentation but it was overcooked. One of my companions order the scallops and said they were a bit tough. Those who had the snapper and the pompano seemed to like their meals. The wine list is extensive and a bit pricy, but we found a nice bottle of South African red for a reasonable price that we liked a lot. If you decide to try Michael's, be sure to buy the gift certificates at Costco - two2 $50 gift certificates for $80.

I wanted to personally apologize if your most recent experience did not reflect that high standard of excellence. I would greatly appreciate your detailed feedback so we can immediately address any challenges with our staff and management team. Please email me at michael@bestfood.com and include the title of your TripAdvisor review in the subject line if you would be willing to contact me personally, that way I can learn more about your experience and welcome you back as my guest. Many thanks and best wishes, Michael Klauber