“You have try their “goulash””

European Restaurant & Deli
Ranked #600 of 1,157 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Hungarian, Polish
Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

What a great little deli. I was showing a client properties in area so we wanted to stop for a lunch. Took a little longer than fast food, but so worth it. I had goulash, a hot vegetable beef soup, big chunks of beef.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

I know should end a sentence with a prep...but....I am trying to be different as the European Restaurant was today...A limited menu for lunch...We both ordered soup. the Hungarian Stew and Fish Soup....Both were excellent. Great broth but scant on the fish and meat..No crackers available but was offered a kaiser roll. the waitress wth limited english skills did tell us the Fish Soup would take about 10 minutes as it was fresh made. It did and it was a large portion. Two soups, coffee and a water was $18 a bit much for lunch, but the Fish soup was excellent. These are new folks to the place and I think learning..Certainly not a typical Sarasota Restaurant...but the soup was EXCELLENT...I would hope if you try the place have patience and be open minded..you might enjoy it..I know I will return

Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

The European Restaurant & Deli (also known as the M&M European Delicatessen) is such a unique place, it's hard to describe in words alone (so I'm adding photos). It's a coffee shop with amazing coffee and homemade pastries and cakes. But it's also a deli selling a variety of meats, cheeses and prepared foods from Eastern Europe. It's the restaurant that will bring me back, however, as the casual ambience and extensive menu offer a nice change of pace from the usual fare found everywhere in Sarasota. I don't know if they buy or bake the bread rolls used for my group's sandwiches, but they were light and fresh and slightly crisp and outstanding. The coffee and dessert were very good and the service was prompt and friendly, even when the place was busy. Definitely will recommend the European Restaurant & Deli for breakfast, lunch or early dinner to my family and friends.

Reviewed 27 September 2016

If you are looking for Hungarian or Polish specialties, this is the real deal! Chicken Paprikas is heavenly, chicken soup is the best in town, and I can't go there without having a slice of the plum cake! We love this place for a casual lunch or for carryout.

Reviewed 17 July 2016

My rating means: 5 = great/perfect/yes, 1 = poor/no, 0 = would recommend to my enemies
Food has good quality within a price range: 5+
Food presentation: 5
Taste of food: 5
Quality of food / freshness: 5
Price range: 5+
Menu: 5 - Simple and easy to read.
All You Can Eat: no
Focus on a specific style or cuisine: Hungarian / European
Speed / accuracy of guest payment: 5
Noise level: 5 - quiet
Decor and furnishings: 5 - enhance the experience, very "Hungarian"
Outdoor area clean and safe: 5
Indoor area clean and safe: 5
Restroom: 5 - Spotless!
Location: 5
Parking space availability: 5
Accept credit cards: yes
Hello and goodbye: I was acknowledged at both ends, with a pleasant greeting and a pleasant farewell, in a timely fashion.
I'd recommend: Absolutely YES!
Does restaurant meets its own expectations: 5+ - YES
Bottom line: One of the best of its kind. Absolutely love it and would strongly recommend.

We had:
Ukrainian Borsch Soup 5
Hungarian Goulash Soup 5
Hungarian Chicken Paprikash 5
Hungarian Beef Stew 4 - To much bay leave but it was very good!
Italian Espresso 5+
Iced Latte 5+

We really loved this place. It worth to drive 1 1/2 hour to eat Hungarian food there. The restaurant is very clean, nicely decorated in Hungarian style, the servers are very friendly and welcoming, the food is great and cheap! Will visit again!

DISCLAIMER: I have always tried to measure a restaurant by what it is attempting to be: I give McDonald's five stars because I know what to expect and they almost always deliver. I also ground my opinion on the "experience".