“Great Food in Riverview Plaza”

European Restaurant & Deli
Ranked #592 of 1,165 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Hungarian, Polish
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

The European Restaurant & Deli (also known as the M&M European Delicatessen) is such a unique place, it's hard to describe in words alone (so I'm adding photos). It's a coffee shop with amazing coffee and homemade pastries and cakes. But it's also a deli selling a variety of meats, cheeses and prepared foods from Eastern Europe. It's the restaurant that will bring me back, however, as the casual ambience and extensive menu offer a nice change of pace from the usual fare found everywhere in Sarasota. I don't know if they buy or bake the bread rolls used for my group's sandwiches, but they were light and fresh and slightly crisp and outstanding. The coffee and dessert were very good and the service was prompt and friendly, even when the place was busy. Definitely will recommend the European Restaurant & Deli for breakfast, lunch or early dinner to my family and friends.

Reviewed 27 September 2016

If you are looking for Hungarian or Polish specialties, this is the real deal! Chicken Paprikas is heavenly, chicken soup is the best in town, and I can't go there without having a slice of the plum cake! We love this place for a casual lunch or for carryout.

Reviewed 17 July 2016

My rating means: 5 = great/perfect/yes, 1 = poor/no, 0 = would recommend to my enemies
Food has good quality within a price range: 5+
Food presentation: 5
Taste of food: 5
Quality of food / freshness: 5
Price range: 5+
Menu: 5 - Simple and easy to read.
All You Can Eat: no
Focus on a specific style or cuisine: Hungarian / European
Speed / accuracy of guest payment: 5
Noise level: 5 - quiet
Decor and furnishings: 5 - enhance the experience, very "Hungarian"
Outdoor area clean and safe: 5
Indoor area clean and safe: 5
Restroom: 5 - Spotless!
Location: 5
Parking space availability: 5
Accept credit cards: yes
Hello and goodbye: I was acknowledged at both ends, with a pleasant greeting and a pleasant farewell, in a timely fashion.
I'd recommend: Absolutely YES!
Does restaurant meets its own expectations: 5+ - YES
Bottom line: One of the best of its kind. Absolutely love it and would strongly recommend.

We had:
Ukrainian Borsch Soup 5
Hungarian Goulash Soup 5
Hungarian Chicken Paprikash 5
Hungarian Beef Stew 4 - To much bay leave but it was very good!
Italian Espresso 5+
Iced Latte 5+

We really loved this place. It worth to drive 1 1/2 hour to eat Hungarian food there. The restaurant is very clean, nicely decorated in Hungarian style, the servers are very friendly and welcoming, the food is great and cheap! Will visit again!

DISCLAIMER: I have always tried to measure a restaurant by what it is attempting to be: I give McDonald's five stars because I know what to expect and they almost always deliver. I also ground my opinion on the "experience".

Reviewed 19 June 2016

Planned on having breakfast -- waitress/owner said -- "We have a new cook - I would recommend having something off the lunch menu!! Partner ordered Polish Breakfast Sandwich -- consisted of sliced salami and sliced boiled egg. I had the cabbage rolls.

The sauce for the cabbage rolls was quite tasty!! After third bite toward the center of the roll found the roll to be ice cold!! Food should come hot!! Waitress/ owner said -- "Going to be a long day training the new cook".

Cappuccino's were excellent!!!!

Our first clue that there is a problem--only people in restaurant. Had to ask for check after waiting several minutes!!

Reviewed 18 June 2016 via mobile

The Hungarian breakfast sandwich is amazing. Excellent Polish groceries as well. You can eat in or take away.