“These guys know food.”

Ranked #36 of 1,164 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: USD 8 - USD 28
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Focusing on sustainable seafood and local farms in a beautiful remodeled old Florida cracker cottage, with an amazing outdoor seating area. James Beard Best Chef South Semi Finalist Steve Phelps and his team are focused on creating a better food system.
Reviewed 25 January 2018

Indigenous was recommended to us by our fellow ex-Canuk Tracey Freeman, so we reserved a table for last Tuesday evening. It was cool but we sat outside. The staff were very helpful in ensuring we were comfortable by closing canopy drapes and turning on heaters after the sun went down. Mike was our server and knew the dishes on the menu very well and helped us decide. He also let us try a couple of samples of a wine we were interested to have. We shared the mushroom bisque and a seafood bake. The bisque was wonderful, and the bake (casserole) was good for sharing. My wife had the sustainable fish choice for her entre, which that evening, was an Arctic Char, and I had the Gulf Shrimp dish. Both were delicious with a great combination of flavours. Being from the east coat, we eat a lot of seafood, and Indigenous did not disappoint.

1  Thank Phil_the_Viking

Reviewed 18 January 2018

Four of us shared an unremarkable dinner here recently. Two of us had one of the evening's specials--pan seared grouper served over what appeared to be tomato risotto. The risotto had a strange flavor possibly induced by the roasted paprika over generously added. The fish and the risotto did NOT pair well! The grouper would have tasted better if it had been seared in butter and the risotto was awful. The dish was topped off with a garlic laden chimichurri that heavily influenced everything we ate. Another tried what I remember as pan-seared cobia with very similar results. And, the lucky one was my partner, who endorsed the short ribs but noted the very small portion. Each of us tried a different dessert with no one pleased with what they ordered. The ice cream that accompanied two desserts--appeared to be homemade. But, as usual, my selection of the blonde brownie (really a piece of cake with butterscotch morsels studded throughout) served with vanilla ice cream and a salted caramel sauce which was runny and tasted like coffee. One of our party asked for an extra order of the peanut butter ice cream which we all found to be superior. Two of us shared the petite beignets with a dipping sauce. And the fourth, being a fan of anything ginger, had the ginger-date bar and was disappointed by a lack of ginger taste. Several of us had a bottled diet cola that required a gun to the head to finish the drink--just awful!

2  Thank Drfred39
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

I liked the idea of this restaurant with sustainable foods but came away disappointed in many ways. First off the burger (My Uncle's Burger) was dry, they cook two thin patties, and really not great. I asked for mayo to help it out, but there was none. The wine list was extensive, and my friends like theirs, but they do not serve liquor so no gin and tonics or Manhattans. We reserved a table outside but was told none was available after waiting. On the good side, the desserts (esp the one with cardamom) was great and I think the waitstaff is trying. Seats outside looked nice too with rows of lights. Maybe giving them time to refine the menu would help especially if a steak is added.

2  Thank markbY4408EQ
Reviewed 8 January 2018

Located in Towles Court, in an atmospheric pair of older 'cottages'. (I prefer the Wine Cottage.) Indigenous serves interesting food prepared by a talented chef who is committed to serving sustainable, locally grown food. The menu changes periodically - seasonally? - and I always hope to see the Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad. I've never had a bad meal there, and I've been at least half a dozen times. Service is always very professional as well.

1  Thank Cando
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Last week we dined here with very savvy restaurant folks visiting from NY. We had told them how wonderful our meal was last winter when we were down here. Boy, what a difference a year makes. First of all our waiter ( bearded, can’t recall name) was beyond casual—- more like he could care less. Spent far more time at the table adjacent to us ( obnoxiously loud— BUT with a very pricey decanted bottle of wine!). Explanation of menu was perfunctory at best —- and since the entrees have vague descriptive titles you really do need an explanation. Salads were good;; my app was combo of 2 fish served in the manner of escargot— very tasty. We all had fish entrees- I had the cobia, the others had the other special. Sadly, theirs was oversauced; even worse,All fish were really tasteless- without the sauce , no flavor. And we have had delicious meals in many places in Sarasota. Dessert menu is meager— many more dessert wines than desserts. Our friends were a bit surprised: we had hyped this place as among Sarasota’s best. We won’t return: this season, our best meals were Cafe Longet in Venice (wonderful, carefully prepared cuisine by a chef who CARES!), and Cassariano, also in Venice, serving fabulous Italian food: pastas are amazing, and a veal chop that may be the best I have ever had! Trust me, skip Indigenous!

1  Thank dmnmd
86LIST, Manager at Indigenous, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your evening. We strive to give the best food and service to everyone at all times. We will address the team about your review, and react accordingly.