1,453 results
All reviews periwinkle building beach hut paddle boards pool bar resort fee beach staff new york times butterfly garden fridge and microwave screened in porch chairs and umbrellas gulf view second floor coffee maker pool side free bikes ocean front
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We booked a 2 bedroom suite. They did not tell us it was privately owned and may lack necessaties. Carpet was old & smelled musty. Bathrooms had no hooks so clothes, robes, etc. had to be left on toilet or sink when showering. Leaving it on toilet was not appealing and when left on sink it got wet or fell on floor. There was no soap and nothing was replaced in bathroom. There was no place to dry bathing suits. Housekeeping left 2 bath towels in each bathroom. There was 6 of us. We asked housekeeping plus called the front desk and never received extra towels so we had to share. Not to good when you come back from the beach and morning towels were still damp. When I book a hotel I expect to stay in a hotel. If they are privately owned then I ezxpect to be told that and to be told that it may lack certain things. Why should I spend $555 for 2 nights and not receive all while someone else spends the same and receives more.
I reported all of this to the front desk plus have sent 2 emails to the hotel and they have ignored me.

8  Thank holmark276
Reviewed 29 June 2010

spent five nights at the sanibel inn in late march. terrific location, nice, quiet atmosphere, clean rooms, beautiful beach. we did not want to leave. highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2010

My husband and I, as well as our 6 year old son, decided to leave Orlando and escape to the West Coast for a few days. Thinking initially of travelling to St Pete/Clearwater, we wanted to try something different. The Shelling is what drew us further down to Sanibel. Sanibel Inn was a suggestion from a friend. From the minute we arrived, we felt so welcome and relaxed. We got the 2 bedroom suite as a suggestion from trip advisor entries and my friend. It was FABULOUS!!!!! The suite was so clean, updated and the view was AWESOME!!!! The kitchen was a nice addition to a regular hotel room for drinks and snack and leftover storage. Our room/building was located right outside of the Butterfly Garden with views of the ocean, resort and pool. The covered parking was a nice bonus and surprise. The Inn is right on the beach, just a short stroll through the butterfly garden and you are there... The pool bar is a nice and convenient bonus, my son loved the kids fruit icies/drinks. They have snacks and light fare, however we didn't order any food. They have free beach chairs setup in the morning (umbrellas are $25/day), we were in the water the whole time and didn't need an umbrella. They also have complimentary beach towels. We brought our own bikes but they have bikes free to checkout at the Inn. What a great island to bike to dinner to the Island Cow, lunch to Rosie's, and dessert at Pinocchio's.

We found some great shells just on the beach, it was so cool to see (never been here before). I've never seen anything so beautiful. And what kid (young or old) doesn't like to collect shells. We had such calm waters, we went out at low tide to the 3rd or 4th sandbar and snorkeled to find such amazing "live" shells. We found tons of sand dollars, star fish, fighting conchs, conchs, clams (don't worry, we didn't keep any, that was the joy of finding the "live" shells).

If I had to mention one minus, it was the pool. The pool was smaller than it looks on the website and with it being June and really hot, the pool was way too hot, not refreshing at all. But it was clean. The room wasn't cheap, but we didn't want cheap. We wanted comfy, beachy and clean! We got all 3 and more. We were also so impressed with how quickly the room was cleaned each morning. We had a GREAT experience.

We will definitely come back, soon... I hope!!

Reviewed 24 June 2010

On business in Orlando, I decided to drive down to Sanibel Island to spend a long weekend. I'd booked the Sanibel Inn after reviews here on TripAdvisor. The hotel is easy to find as you come off the causeway bridge. Parking up, I registered and was given a key to a room in the Lantana building (there are a number of apartment style buildings on the property). Although it was a little difficult dragging my suitcase up the steps to the first floor, and the outside of the building looked a little bland, the room met all my needs. The room was equipped with two queen sized beds, a table and two chairs, an armchair, a tv cabinet with clothes drawers, a built-in closet with a free safety deposit box. It also had a microwave, a coffee maker, a fridge and courtesy coffee.

The TV was a good size, and there was a DVD player (you can get films from the reception area apparently). There's also free wi-fi from AT&T. I was delighted with this, having just stayed an the Ritz in Orlando and being charged for wi-fi (as if the room hadn't been expensive enough!).

In the bathroom, I had a tub with a good shower overhead, a basin, a well-powered hair dryer, plenty of toiletries and towels and more storage drawers.

I also had a balcony with two comfortable chairs and a small table, and it was enclosed with anti-bug netting, with sliding doors from the room to the balcony.

The hotel is very "green", encouraging guests to recycle and with the materials they use around the hotel and grounds.

My room overlooked the pool and the beach. The pool is pretty large, though I didn't use it, preferring to visit the beach. It didn't seem to get crowded and sunbeds were always available. There were free sunbeds on the beach, and the hotel provides towels for the beach or pool. Also, you can borrow the hotel's bicycles for up to four hours at a time to explore the area.

The location was fabulous - literally a two minute walk to the beautiful sandy beach with the most wonderful wildlife. While there I saw manatees and dolphins within yards of the hotel, pelicans, ibis and other birds. Further along the shore, at Bowman's beach, I photographed an alligator in the river just before photographing the most gorgeous sunset.

The hotel facilities are more than enough for a stay. I didn't cook there but the refrigerator was handy for storing lots of water (and some wine!).

The property is clean and well cared for. The staff there are very friendly and smile and greet you every time you see them.

All in all, I had a wonderfully relaxing stay. I wouldn't hesitate to return to the Sanibel Inn or recommend it to anyone. You won't be disappointed in the people, the facilities or the location.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank WendyAM
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We stayed five nights on Sanibel Island at the Sanibel Inn. The rooms are clean and in fairly good condition. The air conditioning worked well which was good since it was in the 90's everyday.
Since it was so warm, we tried to get out and do things in the mornings and left afternoons for beach, pool, and reading. The hotel provides free bikes so cruising around the island for breakfast was a daily event.
We visited the nature preserve three times, once to drive through on the road, once to take a kayak tour in the mangrove swamp, and finally to rent kayaks and explore the mangrove swamp on our own. The kayaking was the highlight of our trip and we enjoyed both the guided tour and our solo kayaking equally.