All reviews fresh fruit make your own waffles waffle maker complimentary bottle of wine free bikes chairs and umbrellas continental breakfast second floor every morning sister property pool and hot tub boiled eggs new york times full size fridge screened porch gulf view room nice breakfast
Reviewed 1 February 2013

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The grounds are well maintained and they have a great breakfast buffet. Our room was ocean front and we had a great view. The pool and hot tub area was very nice. The tile in the unit was sealed so it looked worn and dirty, but overall the unit was clean. The bathroom had been updated, but they hung the shower rod too high so the shower curtain hung outside of the tub. The king sized bed was situated in the room so that you had 10 inches between the end and the wall. The pull out couch needed to be replaced and was uncomfortable. We booked for a week but left after 2 nights because the bed was very hard. The staff was very understanding and apologetic, but they had no other beds to move us to. Overall this place was just above average, was slightly overpriced, but we would probably stay here again if the beds and sofa were replaced.

Room Tip: The pool king suites on the second floor are roomier
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend in January and really did enjoy our stay. Below are the pros and cons of Song of the Sea
Pros
1. Great location. Easy access to the beach.
2. Very helpful and friendly staff.
3. Bike rental included. This is very handy and worked out great for seeing the island.
4. Overall quite atmosphere .
5. A decent breakfast is also included.

Cons
1. Rooms are a little dated. I would not consider it a luxury property.
2. No restaurant or pool side service. Although, you can use the sister property next door that does.
3. Not clearly marked as to where and how you check in.
4. It would be nice if no children were allowed. If you are going to advertise it for couples keep it that way. I love children but sometimes we all need a break from them.

We would definitely return to the area and while we would not be opposed to returning we may also check a few other places out to see if we are getting our moneys worth.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Leroy D
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We went to Sanibel as a belated anniversary trip. Our second trip to Sanibel. We booked the Coastal King room. Screened balcony looking over pool out to Gulf. You have to carry everything up the stairs and it was raining when we got there but the room was worth it. Big room, really comfortable king bed. Kitchen was a disappointment but we had been planning on eating dinner out anyway. Breakfast buffet on the patio every morning was very nice, free bottle of wine was waiting in the room. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Chairs and towels on the beach. Not an economy hotel but nothing on Sanibel is.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elaine K
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Song of the Sea Hotel was almost perfect. This was our first visit to Sanibel Island.
Upon arrival we were greeted by Cheryl. A perky mid-westerner who was chipper and helpful even while breaking the news to me that our check in was four o’clock. A detail I neglected to notice, we arrived at 2:30. She informed us that due to their 100% capacity that the cleaning staff would be busy and we wouldn’t be able to get in any earlier. Cheryl took my cell number and at around 3:15 it rang with the news that in fact we could get in before their scheduled time.
The property is apart of a cluster of properties in the area operated by the same company, their name I neglected to inquire. The grounds are an immaculate display of manicured grass sprinkled with lanes of crushed shells lined with lush blooming shurbs. We found out later that if there is one commodity that Sanibel offers, it’s shells. The pool was crystal clear, as blue and clean as any I seen. The out door jacuzzi also well attended, and was a God send for my back, more on that later. There were ample beach chairs on their patch of beach accompanied by umbrellas. I don’t think I saw one scrap of trash anywhere. Probably due to the thoughtful receptacles for trash as well as recycling. So far so good.
We entered the room, the terra cotta tiles were gleaming and clean. The kitchen area, in all it’s tininess, was cute and also very clean with just enough utensils and dishes to be useful but not over done. A bottle of red wine with cork screw awaited us on the small dining table. Next to the table was the bath, small but equally clean and well appointed with shampoos and amenities like a lighted make up mirror and clean fluffy white towels. Upon further use, the immaculate shower had ample water pressure and hot water.
To our delight was a new giant flat screen T.V. with all the usual channels anyone could want to idle away hours in case of rainy days. The room had adequate furniture for sitting and reading and convenient wall outlets for plugging in electronics. There is free, emphasis on FREE wifi although the connection comes and goes, but mostly worked well. Our unit was a ground level one but all have cute screened in porches with nice teak chairs divided by a small table adding to the feel of extra space. Please note that if you have a ground level unit, you WILL hear your neighbors above you.
Now for the negatives. I am opposed to soft mattresses and probably shouldn’t travel because it seems all the hotels I’ve ever stayed in default to soft mattresses rather than firmer ones. Song of the Sea was no exception. The mattress and box springs were ancient. I asked the front desk clerk, (not Cheryl) about it and she said “we’ll just slip a board between them” and they did. The board didn’t help. It felt like we were sleeping on a trampoline. My back is at best weak, but this bed almost put me in traction. I lived on Advil the entire time (this is where the jacuzzi comes in ). To the hotels defense, they did try. They also obliged my asking for a box fan, being a city person and used to the noise. It only took them ten minutes to round a brand new fan out of storage for me.
There’s so much more good than bad to say about the place, like the fantastic breakfast included in the price of the room. Fresh, not frozen, FRESH squeezed OJ. Lots of other juices, cereal, hot waffles if you wish, bagels, boiled eggs, yogurt, great hot coffee and more. It was more than I expected. Free bicycles too. We check out other properties and most of them charge and extra fee for bikes. The bikes we used were great, they even have helmets for the leery.
There’s a washer and dryer area too if you need it. I am a really picky traveler. I usually walk away grumbling about most places, usually the cleanliness. But I can say in all sincerity, this place was clean and exceeded my expectations.
I am sorry the beds were so terrible. I hope the management sees this and gets on the stick to replace them. I know I’m not the only guest that feels this way. There’s got to be a middle ground between too soft and rock hard.
Then, Song of the Sea would be perfect.

Room Tip: In high season, this end of the island is far from all the action, like resturants and traffic is terrible. So, if you want to avoid traffic, stay in the other end of town.
2  Thank free120
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Song of the Sea was exactly the kind of hotel we were hoping for. It is quiet and relaxing with the amenities we sought for a beach vacation. The staff are exceedingly helpful and we had a wonderful stay. Breakfast options are plentiful and varied. Highly recommend the facility.

4  Thank Frances F