All reviews fresh fruit make your own waffles complimentary bottle of wine sister property next door free bikes chairs and umbrellas bagels continental breakfast second floor every morning pool and hot tub boiled eggs new york times screened porch full size fridge gulf view room nice breakfast
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I have been staying at Song of the Sea since 2001. Even though I have stayed at a few other places on the island, this is the place that feels most like home to me. I stay in a King-size pool-view room that has a well-equipped kitchenette, small bathroom, and large area for bed, a few chairs, and a flat-screen TV mounted on the wall. Oh, yes, and there is the screen-in balcony which is a nice place to relax.
What I love about Song of the Sea is the landscaping, hot tub, bicycles, beach umbrellas & chairs, the rooms, and the al fresco breakfast where you have the opportunity to start your day greeting others. This hotel definitely is more for quiet couples and singles -- families with children tend to be more comfortable at their sister hotel next door: Sanibel Inn.
I also enjoy seeing Suzi, Sandy, and Linda again. Martha is the missing ingredient and I think LXR needs to get her back.
The other positive are the changes to the rooms: new chair cushions, lighter paint on walls, smaller but ample dresser/drawers, and wall-mounted large flat screen TV! :)
What I don't like that is new this year is the lack of cleanliness of the rooms. Suzi no longer cleans, which is sad as she is excellent. I did not have one housekeeper, instead, each day a new one which means their heart isn't in the job. Only one of them understood English, which is a shame. If they are going to hire employees who have a hard time with English, they need to have a board or something to help them understand. Several times, my place was not cleaned by 4:30pm - I had to call several times for replacement towels, dish towels, and supplies. And the shower curtain had mold on the inside which made the small bathroom smell. This is new this year. :(
The other thing I do not like is the bed --- it is definitely time for them to start purchasing new box springs/mattresses.
Yes, I will go back, but sure hope this isn't a downhill place my favorite hotel is going towards.

Room tip: If you want privacy and can pay the extra, choose a Beachfront Suite but know the ground floor does not give you a Gulf View. If you want some semblance of privacy but are unable to pay for the suites, I suggest the 2nd floor rooms. If easy access to the hot tub & pool are most important for you, then the ground floor Queen and King rooms are best.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank DLFlorida
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The location is on the beach as advertised, with a very relaxed atmosphere. We stayed in one of the beach front rooms second floor was recommended by the reservation staff, PERFECT view of the gulf. Accessibility to the beach to the pool is just right. The staff is exceptional, you need to just ask and you shall receive. If you have a concern, problem, or a request, they will take care of it for you. The staff is informed about the island and was very helpful. The demi-kitchen is just right, yet counter space for food prep is limited. However, the continental breakfast is just right for getting your day started. WE SHALL RETURN :)

2  Thank Matthew R
Reviewed 10 October 2012

My girlfriend and I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Song of the Sea. It was a spontaneous trip and we chose it based upon its high rating for romantic getaways on quick search of Tripadvisor. Upon check-in we met Sandy, she was very friendly and conversational and was more than willing to answer our questions and give us advise about where to eat where to go on Sanibel and Captiva Islands.

We stayed in room 4121 the Toulouse, which was a second floor room with 2 comforatble queen sized beds and nice screened-in balcony with a pool view and a partial ocean view. We found it to be charming. The kitchenette was adequately equipped with just the basics and was simple (but it's a kitchenette, what do you expect?) the floors could have been a little cleaner, I noticed that our feet were dirty just walking in the room barefoot, but the spanish tile wasn't visibly dirty or stained, just another round with the mop would of done it.

The pool and hot tub were clean and there is a little grill area as well. The lanscaping was nicely done wich made sitting on the balcony a joy. With just mere steps from the beach and lounge chairs and some great shelling, you can't beat the location. We took advantage of their free bikes with no hassles at all. The free breakfast was nice and fresh and being able to eat on the patio tables under an umbrella added to the property's charm. The breakfast attendants were a pleasure to talk to as well.

We found the place to be quiet with mostly adults, in fact we didn't see any children which may be akin to it being advertised as a romantaic getaway. All in all we found it to be peaceful, relaxing, and quaint and would recommend it for couples and would return ourselves.

4  Thank Brian L
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We have been back a week to the mainland (mid-west) from our yearly trip to Sanibel. It is the highlight of our year and we look forward to it each year. This year was just as wonderful. We stayed at Song of the Sea. This is where we always stay and fall in love with it all over again each year. We love the hotel because it just feels like we belong there. Although the hotel was sold out (just 30 rooms) it felt like we were the only ones there for the most part. However, when there were people at the pool with us, we truly enjoyed visiting with other return guests to Song of the Sea. Because this hotel is advertised as a "romantic" hotel, it is usually adults only. We especially enjoyed visiting most afternoons with Walt and Linda. The pool and surrounding area is just peaceful and clean. The entire grounds were lush this year as was the entire island. They have had quite a bit of rain and everything was just beautiful and coupled with the heat, the flowers were very fragrant this year. Or course our room was great and they have done some upgrades including a big flat screen TV which my husband enjoyed. I sat out on the balcony in the mornings and read. Very nice. They brought back the white umbrellas and chairs this year which I am happy about. Last year they had the green ones out there. Of course you cannot say enough about the staff and they didn't disappoint this year. Although we really did miss Martha. We used the complimentary bikes to ride down to Lighthouse and eat breakfast. Wonderful perk. This is probably our tenth time at this hotel and cannot bring ourselves to take a chance on any other hotel. We got one free night on top of 10% off our entire bill, so on top of it being a wonderful hotel, it is well priced. Now if we could only earn Hilton reward points on top of it, it would be perfect.

Date of stay: September 2012
4  Thank tembraann
Reviewed 6 October 2012

This was our third time at Song of the Sea. It is our go to place when we visit Sanibel, wouldn't stay anywhere else. The staff makes sure your every minute at the hotel is a high end experience. The Breakfast is wonderful the beach chairs and umbrellas are a wonderful touch They are one of the few that do this, and its a hop skip and a jump to the beach, plus the pool is clean and well maintained. The rooms are clean with some modern conveniences but the only downside to the rooms is the poor quality of the bedding. My wife and I continually woke up with neck and back pain something that doesn't happen at home, otherwise as always a wonderful experience made even better by the wonderful staff

Room tip: Go in the off season Sept, October. You"ll have the place to yourselves and the weather is great.
2  Thank billybrock67