All reviewssandbar billscheeseburgerbeach barpete beachone bedroom apartmentfamily ownedrooms are cleanyear after yearpublix groceryfrozen drinksacross streetbeach frontgreat drinksgulf boulevardlaid backsmall kitchenbeautiful beach
Reviewed 17 November 2011

This is a long-standing, family owned, quintessential, what-Florida-used-to-be resort. The rooms are clean and airy. You can step right out your door to the beach or pool. The burgers and margaritas at Sand Bar Bills are just what the doctor ordered. Everything you need, including Publix and Walgreens are a stone's throw. Shopping and amusement parks are an easy drive. Walk down the beach at night and join another party at another bar. You can't find a better value for your money.

The only unpleasant situation we ever had was that my husband and I overindulged one night down at Sand Bar Bills. I thought he paid, he thought I paid. As we were preparing to hit the pillows, there was a very insistent knock at our door and a rather irate bartender tracking us down. She wasn't very happy, but we cheerfully apologized, paid and generously tipped her. We laughed - she didn't. That was kind of embarassing, yet unintentional. I believe she rushed to judgement and could have handled this a little differently. But we were clearly smashed and Dracula could have been knocking at the door.

You step back in time here. Even if the weather doesn't cooperate, this place is worth every penny. Been here many times. Hope to come back many more. You can have Clearwater--this is where we want to be on vacation.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LoJo517
Reviewed 29 October 2011

This was the first time I have been at the Bon Aire, it is such a nice family atmosphere. The staff was so very nice, the rooms are very clean. The land scape and the access to the beach is great. Sandbar Bills has the best burgers I have ever eaten, everything I tried was excellent. The service at Sandbar Bills is excellent Jackie is the best, everyone working there was so friendly and nice. Rick is the cook and he does an amazing job. The pools were nice and all the conviences were great, you couldn't ask for a nicer place to stay.
Loved it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed 28 October 2011

My family was there just this past week and wow did we have a great time! The staff are very nice and friendly, the rooms were exceptionally clean. Loved the staff at Sandbar Bills, they do a great job even when they are packed with people! If you go say hello to Jackie and Niko for us at Sandbar Bills they were absolutely great!

I plan on going back as soon as possible!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Sylvia E
Reviewed 25 October 2011

If you want fancy, go somewhere else, cause it's not here. This is vacation not a fashion statement. My family has been staying at the Bon-Aire Motel for 45 years. We love it! My dad first discovered it when I was 5 yrs. old and the room rate was $14 a night. The best deal on the beach, he said. Back then it was just a drive in motel. Over the years they have expanded at least twice to include a new building and an acquired motel next door. They have 2 pools and a beach bar. Sandbar Bill's is a great place for lunch, dinner, snacks and drinks. The beach is BEAUTIFUL and the sand is soft and white, unlike the "sand" you'll get up the beach by the Tradewinds Resort that is nothing but broken shells. You can walk the beach both ways from here and work on your tan or sit at the beach or pool. Sure parking is a bit tight but there is always a spot. Yes there is no dish soap in the kitchen, Publix is just down the street or you can get some from someone else checking out. Over the years we have received and passed on numberous plastic rafts, inner tubes, flippers, floaties, dish soap, paper plates, condiments, etc. upon arrival and departure. The families at the hotel have always been friendly and kind to each other. During return visits, with my own kids, I've often seen other "kids" that I used to play with when we vacationed. They have also returned with their families. This is a great place to vacation with kids as there is plenty of roaming room but it is safe and fun. Again, if you want fancy go elsewhere, if you want a relaxing vacation that is a no brainer, stay here. In 45 years we've never stayed anywhere else on the beach. My folks now live in Tampa and still take a week every year at the Bon-Aire.

Room Tip: If you have kids you may want ot request a room close to the pool so you are close in case of bathroom, snacks, etc. you are not running around the motel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna H
Reviewed 15 October 2011

This place is highly recomend. Has two pools for your pleaseure ocean side view also very family friendly. Beach acess, bar and grill and spectacular sun sets. Efficinties for your convince also wireless access. LOVE YOU BON AIR<3:)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family