New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #27 of 79 Hotels in Saint Augustine
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“We Have a Winner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

Easy 2 minute walk to Old Town St Augustine and the fort. Best location for the price. My wife and I drove in from Orlando without choosing a hotel. She was on the Iphone checking hotel price and location for most of the drive, we stopped by several hotels from Datona heading north but didn't like the areas. This hotel is the clear winner for price, location, quiet, and safe feeling. They also have a nice simple breakfast, helpful staff and clean rooms. You can stay 100 yards closer but you'll pay 4 times more.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dg2623

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

First off let me say that this was the first trip for my wife and myself to St. Augustine ,so we were both a bit leery about choosing a hotel . We had a shuttle from Jacksonville drop us off at the hotel about 2 pm. We checked in with the desk guy Pete (very friendly). Got our keys and went up to our room. I noticed the stairs and walkways (all outside) were clean and free of debris ,even though it was a windy day. We opened the door to our non-smoking room and it really was free of any smoky smell. Yet there was a bit of a musty aroma as "gold68 chevy" had noted in their review .We chose to simply leave the door open for awhile as it was a cooler day anyway. The room was a good size with 2 twin beds, table and chairs, armoire and a half armoire . The sink and vanity are separate from the bathroom .The vanity was a very nice size which my wife really appreciated as she likes to spread her make-up, etc . out as she gets ready in the morning. As some others have stated the bathroom is a bit small which means you have to lean into the toilet area to close the door behind you, but not that big a deal. The shower was a nice size . The bathroom overall was dated ,could use new grout , but clean. There were plenty of clean towels . The beds have clean and fresh linen on them . We were pleased . One thing was missing though .We had asked for a fridge when we booked the room.There was no fridge. I went and talked to Pete at the front desk and asked about it and he truly turned red with embarrasment . He apologized and asked for our patience as the maintenance man had left for the day. He asked if we wanted to change rooms but we had mostly unpacked so we declined. Pete promised there would be one in our room the next morning . It arrived the next morning with the housekeeping staff and it looked brand new. Speaking of the housekeeping staff , they do a very good job of cleaning and leave the sheets with that little extra bit of folding flourish . The beds were a bit too stiff for my liking , but were clean and there were plenty of pillows. The air conditioner worked fine and was pretty quiet. We sat by the pool and spa everyday. They were both clean . It was a bit chilly outside so the pool was out for us but we sat in the spa. It could have been a lot warmer . This hotel has a nice continental breakfast : waffles,muffins,cereal,toast,bagels, fresh fruit, milk ,coffee and juice. Its served from 6am to10am. I had dealings with the manager Shari daily and she pleasantly provided me with all sorts of info and assistance. This hotel is in a great location ,within walking distance of many great sights such as the fort and Ripleys museum and trolley train ,also food and drink establishments. By the way there is a convenience store a few blocks north of the hotel for any miscellaneous stuff,beer,wine,band-aids,etc. I would definitely books this hotel again .Good rates and nice people.

2 Thank supremo
Brooksville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed 10/5 - 10/7/11 in Room 208. Upon arrival we were greeted by April at the front desk. Do to a bad experience at he Lakeside Inn located in Mount Dora, Fl., I asked to inspect the room before we checked in. She was more than willing to accommodate my request and concerns. The room was clean and so was the restroom. I did smell a little of musky smell but the cleaning lady sprayed something to remove the smell. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful with any questions that we had (examples: Good places to eat, extra towels). Both April and Pete Front Desk employees gave us discount coupons and menus for the local restaurants. Unforgettably I do not remember everyone's name but I believe the lady with the long blonde hair was the manager and she checked us out. When we checked out we still wanted to spend the day in Saint Augustine and she let us leave our vehicle parked there so we did not have to pay additional fee some where else. Everything was within a block walking distance. They have a nice continental breakfast. Coffee pot, hair dryers in the room. Outdoor pool and hot tub (which were all clean & nice). Two adults and two teenagers stayed in the room. I know it is impossible due to building design but the bathrooms could use a little more room in them. We parked the vehicle and walked the block to the City Gates or the block to the Ripley's Red Sight Seeing Train. I would recommend this hotel and would stay here the next trip. Pricing is much more reasonable than any other place that I checked. Thanks.

3 Thank gold68chevy
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

I was looking for a cheap, decent hotel close to the historic district and that's what I got. There wasn't anything necessarily wrong with the place, there just wasn't anything great either. The breakfast was poor and there was no place to sit so we opted to eat out instead. The room was clean but the shower could benefit from some Clorox, so could the towels which were old and stained. The hotel is within walking distance of St. George Street, the Castillo de San Marcos and Ripleys. Even so, next time I will definitely stay some place else.

2 Thank Barbara1106
West Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever been to, and due to business I have stayed in many many hotels. After a very late flight, my sister and I arrived at 1:30 am and were "greeted" by a very snotty woman who promptly informed us, her tone dripping in disdain, that she had no reservation for us. Even though we had a printed confirmation with a confirmation number, we were told by Lydia that her "cards' had no reservation listed for us and that she was "doing work" on her computer and the system could not be interrupted. After staring at us as if we were inconveniencing her, accusing us of being morons and booking at the wrong hotel, and calling around to all other Best Westerns in the area...Lydia was finally able to determine that another one of her fine coworkers had booked us under the wrong dates. With that said, Lydia did nothing to offer us a room or any type of suggestion, instead she just stared at us as if we were interrupting her and she just could not be bothered. After I told her that this was completely unacceptable and started screaming at her, she finally replied snidely" well i think I have one room, God" ...after running our credit card AGAIN she told us our room number and THREW our credit card and room keys at us, literally threw them...she then slammed the window (used at night instead of going inside) down so hard it sounded like it almost shattered. Upon entrance to the room we were enveloped by the smell of cigarettes (in our non smoking room), and greeted by dirty bed linens, no toilet paper, a broken air conditioner, and cockroaches just to add to the ambiance. I could barely even get myself to sit on the bed to sleep because I was afraid of catching bed bugs or some other disease. In addition, the pool was disgusting and the parking lot was so narrow we could barely eek our tiny economy car out of the spot without hitting the wall The next morning, after bringing our complaint to the manager, we were told that she would knock $5 of the price of the room...the whole hotel isn't even worth $5...the place should be condemned, with Lydia inside of it.

Room Tip: Do not stay here