“Interesting and educational ”

Spanish Military Hospital Museum
Ranked #22 of 201 things to do in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: Travel Back in time to the Spanish Military Hospital, where the doctor is always in. Our fully guided tours take you back to the Colonial Spanish days of medicine. Learn why the Spanish were considered 400 years ahead of their time in medicine. See how surgeries were preformed in Colonial times with our surgical demonstrations. Watch how medicines were made using the plants and herbs grown in their gardens with our apothecary demonstration.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Family with teens and tween. We were all entertained and learned quite a bit. Our tour guide was entertaining and funny. She was very informed about the surgical procedures of the time and the herbal medicines used then and what we use today. I highly recommend this tour. As a side we tried the cafe con leche at the Cuban restaurant la Herencia across the street and it was great!

All reviews
in 22 reviews
"amputation"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

You would not have wanted a hospital in those times some crude tools, I am not sure the cure would have always been better than the disease. Costs ten bucks to get in.

Reviewed 7 March 2018

My teenager is premed so this tour was a fun addition to our vacation. We have visited St Augustine numerous times since it is my favorite city in Florida and we don't live too far. I'm shocked we never noticed this museum over the years!
We did the daily tour and I loved the period clothing. Everything is set up in a way to give you the best example of what the hospital would of looked like. I also enjoyed seeing all of the different instruments and the herbs that would of been used.
Only negative is that I felt the tour was a bit overpriced for the amount of time given but if it helps preserve history and the museum then I feel bit better about the cost. This was a fun educational tour.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

This is a small museum that is packed with interesting information. Our guide, Leonard, was very knowledgeable and obviously loved his subject. He was willing to digress and answer questions when asked. If you are a history lover, don’t miss this! I thought I knew a lot about old medical practices, but I found that I was mistaken. This place was worth a visit.

1  Thank FLTeach2