“I Won't Go Back”

Ranked #30 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“I Won't Go Back”
Reviewed 10 December 2002

I've stayed here twice. The first time was nice. The second time was terrible. The innkeeper was not home when I arrived although he said he would be when I gave the time. The keys were left in an envelope taped to the front door (a security issue). The front porch area was tattered and filthy. My room was fine the first day and I had actually requested the same room as my first trip. From that point on, however, the room was not cleaned, bed not made, linens not changed. The towels were thin and dingy. There were no amenities...just a bar of Ivory soap. Breakfast was a scrabled egg and I had to wait nearly 45 minutes beyond the time I was told breakfast would be ready while the innkeeper complained about his personal issues. I was not able to access the living room to relax or read like the first trip since his nephew was now living there and the area was closed off. I got to come in to my room period. Laundry was piled all over the kitchen and the place was covered with dust. The second breakfast was as bad as the first and when trying to go out for the day was again subjected to listening to the innkeepers personal complaints. I will not stay here again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 November 2002

My husband and I stayed at Castle Garden Bed & Breakfast in St. Augustine, FL for two nights in October of 2002. The owner had told my husband that we could check in at 1:00pm; but when we arrived, all the doors were locked and no one was answering the door. We looked around the front porch where we were standing. It was crowded with old wicker furniture with torn cushions and dying plants and tourist literature piled against the screen of the porch which had allowed it to get wet too many times. Just as we were about to turn and leave, the owner came to the door. He invited us in and intorduced himself but told us a room wasn't quite ready. It was 1:20pm... definately after 1:00pm. He had us pay with our credit card for the 2nd night (the first had been paid by deposit) and then asked us to come back in an hour. We came back a few hours later to an empty house, but our room was "ready." It was the dustiest, dirtiest room I could imagine. The towels he left for us were rags. The comforter was old and faded. Every time we moved on the bed, it hit the wall with a loud bang. The room was crowded and didn't have enough room for our luggage. We had to store it under the dusty bed. My allergies were so terrible in this room that I barely slept. The owner had told my husband when he made the reservation that he would have breakfast ready for us both mornings. On our first morning, he told us he had some things he had to take care of and that he had to "split." He made no mention of breakfast. We looked at the table that had glass bowls and brown-spotted bananas...nothing more. We then went to The Bunnery on St. George Street and paid for breakfast. The 2nd morning was even worse. Because of the tiny room, my husband couldn't really pack his suitcase with me in there. I, therefore, went down to the living room which the owner had said we could use. I was planning to write post cards. The owner was in there with some friends who had stopped by and was reveali
right there in the room. Finally, I couldn't take it any more. I went back to the room and helped my husband load the car as fast as we could. When we left, the owner said goodbye but did not offer breakfast and obviously had not prepared anything for us since he had been sitting in the living room for the past hour at least. We were so disappointed with this bed & breakfast. Wallpaper was pealing off of the walls. Linens were piled behind doors and spread out across the kitchen table the entire time we were there. We could hardly make it down the path to the parking lot from the bed & breakfast because it was so overgrown. I highly recommend that you pay the money to stay somewhere else in St. Augustine. There are several other bed & breakfasts which looked lovely and even some of the hotels near the old fort that were just adorable. I hope you have a better experience in St. Augustine than we did.

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member