“Best trail in Florida”

Gen. James A. Van Fleet State Trail
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

We enjoy this trail each year.
It is paved and long. There are alligators, turtles and birds.
Take your time and stop at the bridges you are sure to see something.

All reviews
"bridge"
"ranger"
"adventure"

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We spent 10 days in Orlando on vacation and wanted to bike every day so we made a special trip out to this this trail on October 6th. We started in Auburndale as that was the start of the trail on the south end. Unfortunately, we wasted a trip to this trail as Polk City had not cleaned up the trail after hurricane Irma came through (NOTE: we did bike the section from Auburndale to the Polk City city line as it was cleaned up and fully open; about 6 miles one way). It would have been nice if Polk City made this known on the trail map or on their city webpage...

2  Thank Frank-in-MI
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

We've done this trail before and as usual we see trail maintenance people doing their job. If you complete the entire ride you cover 3 counties.

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Visiting in town with bike in tow and found this nice Polk city trail. I googled trails on trail link and gave me good directions. The signage made the trail head easy to find. Ample parking. Trail is paved with mile marker signage. It is wheel chair accessible, but note the parking lot is not paved. It was a well maintained trail with many stop/benches and stretch tables with a view (mostly farms). I rode the first 5 miles to the next main road and returned. At mile 3 there is a bike RX station (nice addition). There is a bathroom at mile .05. Why is it not at the trail head? I did not notice any water stations or maps at the trail head. There is a picnic pavilion at parking lot area. Enjoy all the cows and turtles that make their home near by.

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 March 2017

My brother told me to bring a bike on this visit and he would take me to a bike trail near his house. Not knowing what to expect I brought the mountain bike. Wrong one I thought when I saw it, this is road biker’s dream, as evidenced by the packs of road bikes running up and down it.

The mountain bike however turned out to be the better choice this trip because my Mom and nephew went along with us and the mountain bike is better for social rides.

We saw gators, more gators, and even more gators from babies to big guys, so many I stopped taking pictures. And Cottonmouth Snakes. And lots of birds.

I rode 24 of the 29.2 miles, 19 miles alone. Even at speed if you are observant you can spot gators and other wildlife.

Benches, restrooms, and trail-heads are located along the trail. This trail is great for a nice easy social ride with friends and family to hard core road training. Everyone I met was super nice, even the running packs of road bikers. One pack even stopped to see what we had stopped to look (gators and such). Never seen a pack do that before.

Some sections are remote with spotty cell phone reception, so go prepared.