“Pure WIldlife Adventure. I Hike/Ride For 30 Miles On A Rainy Day”

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I went by myself yesterday to explore the rual area of Polk County. To my complete surprise I had numerous wildlife encounters, probably because I was the only one on the trail in the rain. If the sun was out this would have been a brutally hot day. It is a wilderness hike/ride there is no help if you get into trouble and your cell phone does not work. The signs did post these warnings so just be prepared. I encountered 4 snakes two of which were poisonous. I got close up to two raccoons. I was able to capture two alligators. There were llamas, donkey's, bulls, cows, goats, water fowl, snakes, one armadillo about 100 gopher tortoise and two raccoons. I would say that is a great exploration in my opinion. Also thisis a remote area so instead of cars in the driveway people had airplanes parked in their driveways. I found that amusing. Afterward around the corner I stopped and got soft serve ice cream from the soft serve stand it was a terrific day to end a successful wildlife hunt. I was not bored.

All reviews
"geocaching"
"scenery"
"picnic"

Reviewed 25 September 2012

easy parking and it is free. Take your insect repellant and a camera. we only walked the first 2 miles as it was very warm and humid, Take a Bike.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

...about 5 miles north of the Polk City trailhead, the trail takes a sharp (maybe 18°) turn to the West. So if the numbing straightness of the trail has put you to sleep, you could wander off (or ride off) into the swamp if you don't make the turn. In spite of the boredom of a perfectly straight trail, the scenery makes up for it, and there's an abundance of nature all over the place. Go slowly and watch for it -- also watch out for the competitive cyclists going way too fast to worry about nature. You'll see tortoises, alligators, snakes, fox (if you're lucky), and a bunch of Old Florida pastureland. Hurry before it all gets paved over. Bring plenty of sunscreen and water.