“Best Fried Whole Clams in FL!!”
Review of Rosie's Clam Shack - CLOSED

Rosie's Clam Shack
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner
Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you're from New England and longing for some great fried whole belly clams
This is the place! My husband grew up in MA and he said these were as good as
any he had back home. Perfect light breading, huge portion and delicious. It was his birthday and
we had a great time...My lobster role was perfect...prices reasonable.

2  Thank MylesMunroe

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I was surprised that the inside looked so run down and the place just looked like it was almost ready to throw in the towel. The fried clams were not special in fact they tasted like they were fried in stale oil.

2  Thank FloridaView
Reviewed 29 May 2014

There are better places to seek your seafood in Pinellas County, this "joint" has been there for years but lack atmosphere and charm

3  Thank thekegler
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I've been eating here for 3 decades but the dining room is dirty and smelly. Badly in need of a cleaning and updated resturant.
when I went in the first thing I saw was an empty lobster tank with cloudy and dirty water in it. There was an old lingering odor in the room that got stuck to my clothes for the night. I wasn't the only one that noticed the upkeep issues. they didn't even have proper napkins. The enjoy windows were dirty and the blinds were broken. I love the food here and hope they get it together.
But the food is great and priced right.

3  Thank sokemike
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined 49th Street in Pinellas Park to be a culinary destination, but twice over the last several days my bride and I found ourselves drawn to this boulevard of nondescript strip malls.

Our first trip took us to Terra Mar Brazilian Steakhouse where we enjoyed a very flavorful and affordable churrascaria. As we were pulling into the parking lot, there right before my very eyes, I spied Rosie's Clam Shack. Oh, be still my thumping gizzard. I considered a change in dining venues, but we had already made reservations at Terra Mar. I am glad we kept those reservations, but a return to 49th Street was in our future.

So it came to pass this past Sunday that my bride and I made that trek across Gandy Bridge to Pinellas Park in answer the Sirens's call of Rosie's.

We were immediately greeted by the vivacious and ever so charming Janai who would be our server, guide, and instructor on our dining adventure. The early dinner crowd had not arrived yet, so we were fortunate to have Janai pretty much to ourselves.

The first order of bidness were beers to wash away the road dust. Next on my agenda were appetizers. I couldn't make up my mind, should it be oysters on the half shell or Whole Belly Steamers in Shell. To break this mental impasse, I decided to have both.

The oysters were perfectly shucked to preserve that delicious salty liquor and brought to mind these lines written by Hemingway, "...as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.”

My happy plans were to polish off the supremely delightful clams, after a quick lesson from Janai. She correctly observed that I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing and suggested that I remove the sheath from the clam appendage before rinsing it. Who knew? We didn't have "them there Yankee" clams when I was growing up in the Florida panhandle.

My only disappointment while at Rosie's was finding out that some hog-dawg before me had scarfed up the last of the whole Maine lobsters. What now, thought I? I remembered that a previous visitor to Rosie's had commented on how good the fried oysters were. I haven't had any fried oysters since Altman's Drive-In burned down on Panama City Beach, and that was over fifty years ago.

Rosie's fried Oyster Plate was piled with lightly breaded, perfectly fried oysters. These mollusks were still plump, flavorful, and juicy. The oyster plate comes with a two sides. I chose extra crispy fries with a bowl of coleslaw.

My dining partner was mulling over the Fresh Catch of the Day. "I wonder what it is?" queried my bride. "Haddock," called out Janai who was cleaning a nearby table. So, a lightly battered, succulent haddock it was, with a side of parsley potatoes.

Even if the food had not been delightful, the trip across the bay still would have been worthwhile just to enjoy the company of the very professional and personable Janai.

We were seated in the main dining area, but as we were leaving I discovered a rather cozy looking full liquor bar with a happy hour from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Rosie's Clam Shack was a great food find, and I can definitely suggest a return trip or two. The food, adult beverages, and 20% gratuity for Janai came to a very pleasant $86.72.

3  Thank Jon R