I took my family of four (two kids ages 14 and 12) to Sandpiper for a four night stay over a Fall Break weekend. I had done a fair amount of research, and I was aware that some folks had said that the rooms were at times dirty. This was definitely not the case for our room. We got a pretty basic room. A "motel" style room facing Front Beach Road that had a king sized bed and bunk beds. The room was VERY clean. The carpet was well vacuumed and the bathroom was spotless. The shower and sink worked fine, and I like the fact that the bathroom and the room had a lot of cabinet space where we could put our stuff down. The room had a mini-fridge and a microwave, which came in handy for heating up leftovers, cereal for breakfast, etc.
The bunk beds worked well for the the kids, and there was an additional closet with a room safe (although we never used the safe). There was not a chair in the room, which I thought was a bit odd. It is my understanding that there is quite a bit of variety of room types you can book, so you probably want to research the Sandpiper and plan accordingly.
There was some amount of noise the first couple of nights--kids running down the corridor and the like. However, the noise died down by 11 or so. Plus, after full days at the beach, we were so tired we did not notice most of the time anyway.
The location is great. Right on the beach, which is a fantastic clear-water, calm ocean experience. We saw dophins off shore swimming around, and it was nice to see the botton of the ocean. Bring goggles or a scuba mask--you can have a pretty good time just swimming around that part of the Gulf.
There is a restaurant right across from the hotel. We had a good breakfast there the first morning. Pier Park is close by, although it would most likely be too tough to walk it. You're better off driving. I do recommend checking out Pier Park. Also, Diego's for burritos--just a little farther down Front Beach Road from Pier Park.
I did get a drink from the "Tiki Bar" but it was a little too much of a "fruity beach drink" for me. They did have a full bar there, though, with daily specials. Lots of kids activities and karaoke--lots of TV screens for games. A true "beachside bar."
I think the best feature of the Sandipiper is they do take advantage of the location to give it a beach feel all across the back of the hotel (the side facing the Gulf). They have lots of tables with shade, the Tiki Bar, chairs on the beach for rent (with shade umbrellas) at reasonable rates. Sand volleyball courts and a mini-golf area. The hot tub was HOT but that came in handy for the colder October days.
I would definitely stay here again. I would probably look into one of the "suite" options for a longer stay. The prices were reasonable and the desk staff were attentive and extremely courteous and helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Also known as the "FUN Place!" The Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort & Tiki Bar offers year-round fun, activities, and entertainment for all ages. Located directly beachfront on Front Beach Road, the Sandpiper is a family-friendly resort-hotel with planned activities and entertainment, waterslides, multiple indoor/outdoor (seasonally heated) swimming pools, free WiFi, indoor lazy river ride, on-site Deli, Ice Cream Shop, Gift Shop, Restaurant, Arcade and more. Offering 24/7 resort services, including housekeeping, guest services, and maintenance. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sandpiper Beacon Beach Hotel Panama City Beach
- Sandpiper Beacon Beach Resort
- Sandpiper Beacon Beach Panama City
- Sandpiper Panama City Beach