Fisheating Creek Campground
Clewiston Inn(Clewiston)
USD 77
Plaza Travel Inn(Clewiston)
USD 67
All reviewscamp storerope swingfisheating creekfire pitspanish mosstravel traileroutpostalligatorslasalleflorida
Reviewed 23 July 2015

We decided to make a test run in our travel trailer some place close by. We live about 60 miles from here. We are not the typical camping type. I like A/C, nice bathrooms and I hate bugs. I decided to jump right in anyway. We found that this place is so serene and peaceful this time of year. I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of mosquitos, the cool breezes, and shade trees. We rented canoes and took the creek upstream the first day. Yes, we did tip over, but thankfully did not see one gator. I have never canoed before and it was a little out of my comfort zone, but I really enjoyed the view and took lots of pictures. The next day we went farther up the creek and stayed in the canoe, we found a nice spot to take a break and stretch a little. I recommend the shuttle upstream because you only have to steer for the ride downstream. (we aren't youngsters). Next time we will do the shuttle. The water level was really good, 4'+ so no walking the canoe. We were referred to this place by our son who has camped there many times. He met us and thought it was great especially since he has gone 'in season' which is very crowded and noisy he says. The only downside is that the showers are kind of not great, but still ok. There is really nothing to do in the area, so bring plenty of ice, firewood, beer, wine, and food. You can buy ice, bait, firewood, and some items at the on site store also. Oh and bug spray, the ants were ferocious, I also recommend some of that great Benadryl spray for the bites or whatever else you might use. Sunscreen and a camera with a waterproof bag just in case. Happy Camping

Room Tip: For tents only pick #16 or #62 right on the creek. RV's that need hook ups are not near the water, but close enough
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Debra F
Reviewed 1 April 2015

Trying to find a last minute birthday activity I was recommended this campsite. Lets just say I gave the person who recommended it a big hug the next time I saw them.

My family and I had a fantastic time here. We stayed far in the back by the "swimming hole" and could not have had more fun. The rope swing was a major highlight for my wife and kids. The fishing was fun and we were able to put our kayaks in the water right next to our campsite.

Each campsite has plenty of tall, old trees decorated with Spanish moss and brush giving you complete privacy from the neighboring sites. It will definitely be our "Go To" spot for camping from now on and I expect we will make many great family memories there. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2015

Friendly staff, the sites were clean. With sewer and wifi available. River was vey nice to canoe on. Well maintained!!! Camp sites are quite large with nicely shaded areas. The only down side is that it's close to Hwy 27.

• Stayed: February 2015
2  Thank Janine3904
Reviewed 20 February 2015 via mobile

I stayed here twice and my first time it was very quiet compared to the second. There is a big board at the entrance of the campground with rules and regulations. Which probably my neighbors didn't read it. They started partying at 10:30pm and go on until 1 am. The music was loud and they were screaming. I didn't complain at all because they had good music, but they have to respect other people that were looking to relax. The are were we camp was near the lake which is primitive . The vault toilets needs to be clean more often, i don't know how often they clean it but at least this second time did not smell. About activities, you can rent kayaks and boats, or bring your own. Also can fish in the river or do hunting. don't forget to get your license there is a lot of wildlife patrol. Talking about wildlife, we saw turtle, possums, rabbits, alligators and crows. There are available store in the main office and also showers are available next to bear loop.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2015 via mobile

After years of coming here and recommending the place to everyone we can, we've stopped camping at Fish Eating Creek and choose to visit Koreshan or Myakka instead.

It's not the surroundings...

Fish Eating Creek is absolutely beautiful.

It's not the ridiculous three-day minimum on the weekends, on holidays, or really whenever else the manager feels they should institute the policy to make some extra bucks.

Annoying yes...

But not the end of the world.

It's not the fact that the campsites are so small. Or the fact that everything in the Outpost Store costs twice what it should.

Honestly, all of this can be overlooked because the place is just stunningly beautiful. We always loved camping there.

So no, it's none of that.

It's the crappy attitude of the people who run the place.

When I told the officer workers I thought the firewood was overpriced and wet, I was told "don't buy it"

When I told the office manager I thought the 3 night minimum policy was ridiculous, she promptly hung up on me.

So yeah. Eventually someone out there will figure out how to treat long standing loyal customers.

Until then - stay away.