All reviews camp store rope swing fisheating creek fire pit spanish moss outpost alligators lasalle florida
Reviewed 20 February 2015 via mobile

I stayed here twice and my first time it was very quiet compared to the second. There is a big board at the entrance of the campground with rules and regulations. Which probably my neighbors didn't read it. They started partying at 10:30pm and go on until 1 am. The music was loud and they were screaming. I didn't complain at all because they had good music, but they have to respect other people that were looking to relax. The are were we camp was near the lake which is primitive . The vault toilets needs to be clean more often, i don't know how often they clean it but at least this second time did not smell. About activities, you can rent kayaks and boats, or bring your own. Also can fish in the river or do hunting. don't forget to get your license there is a lot of wildlife patrol. Talking about wildlife, we saw turtle, possums, rabbits, alligators and crows. There are available store in the main office and also showers are available next to bear loop.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2015 via mobile

After years of coming here and recommending the place to everyone we can, we've stopped camping at Fish Eating Creek and choose to visit Koreshan or Myakka instead.

It's not the surroundings...

Fish Eating Creek is absolutely beautiful.

It's not the ridiculous three-day minimum on the weekends, on holidays, or really whenever else the manager feels they should institute the policy to make some extra bucks.

Annoying yes...

But not the end of the world.

It's not the fact that the campsites are so small. Or the fact that everything in the Outpost Store costs twice what it should.

Honestly, all of this can be overlooked because the place is just stunningly beautiful. We always loved camping there.

So no, it's none of that.

It's the crappy attitude of the people who run the place.

When I told the officer workers I thought the firewood was overpriced and wet, I was told "don't buy it"

When I told the office manager I thought the 3 night minimum policy was ridiculous, she promptly hung up on me.

So yeah. Eventually someone out there will figure out how to treat long standing loyal customers.

Until then - stay away.

• Stayed: September 2014
14  Thank Erik S
Reviewed 2 January 2015 via mobile

We camp in a new place every year for New Years. I found out about Fisheating through a friend and decided to try this place. Check in was smooth and the camp store was good and decorated nicely for Christmas. Since we reserved late we couldn't get a tent only spot so we were in P2, next to RVs. It was fine, we had nice neighbors, but the sites are all pretty small and not much privacy. The bathrooms could use a little better maintenance. The campground itself was lively. Kayaking the river was a great experience, but didn't get a chance to go on their hike. The real negatives for me though were: campground near the highway and railroad so it's constant noise all day and night and the mosquitoes were horrible. I would come back for the day to kayak, not too sure about camping though.

Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Xflor
Reviewed 2 December 2014

According to the office, we stayed during the busiest time of the year - Thanksgiving weekend. We stayed Friday and Saturday nights.

When I go camping, I want to feel like I'm in the wilderness - I want relative privacy and quiet. Also, I want outdoorsy things to do - hiking, biking, canoeing/kayaking, wildlife viewing, etc. Facilities are nice but not necessarily required.

In this review, I'm speaking about the primitive campsites, not the RV side of the park.

This campsite is relatively nice and well-maintained. Likewise the facilities. You're likely to be exposed to all types of camouflage fashion. That is the extent of my positive feedback.

However, the sites are right on top of one another; you will get to know details about your neighbors you may not care to know - you'll clearly hear their conversations, their arguments, their snoring, their music, and anything else going on in their site or in their tent.

There is no quiet time. Yes, the posted quiet time starts at 11 p.m. but it is not obeyed nor is it enforced. While we were there, it was redneck party central. The first night was karaoke. It began at 7 and ended at 10:30. You cannot escape it no matter where your site is located. It's loud. I don't know if they do this every Friday or not.

Campsite parties went as late as 1:30 a.m. You'll hear all different kinds of music from different sites, people laughing, yelling, swearing, etc. People walk through your campsite at any hour with no regard to courtesy. Someone was shooting a gun (was not firecrackers). A couple of others were very proud of the engines in their trucks and wanted everyone else there to know (hear) it too. There is a train line that runs along the entrance and east side of the park. The variety of car alarms was almost musical. Friends with us decided to call the posted phone number for assistance. The line went unanswered, they left a message, and the call was not returned.

There is one 1.5 mile trail and it was flooded, so no hiking. There is no bike trail though you can ride laps around the park. The park is along highway US 27 - three lanes of high-speed travel - no biking there. There is a small river for canoeing and kayaking. It's not bad but FL has much better to offer.

Our wildlife sightings consisted of a bunch of turkey vultures constantly prowling the campsites and one, fat squirrel. That's it. But we did hear some stuff at night.

Bring your own wood. We bought four packs of wood from the campsite store. The wood was soft and moist and would not burn. Call me crazy, but I took it back and asked for my money back. I was refused: "All sales are final." So, we drove 15 miles to the nearest town and bought better wood.

We had a good time because we enjoyed the "vacation" with our friends. But I will not stay here again. This is not my idea of camping. Maybe it's yours.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank ChrisK-Traveller
Reviewed 18 November 2014

My family had been coming to this campground for years. They always said how fantastic and wonderful it was. When I wanted to take my two oldest ( 6 & 8 ) camping for the first time my boyfriend and I decided to come here. Best decision I made.

We pulled in and got our site spot and WiFi info. We settled on the creek side and was not disappointed with it.The view was spectacular and the neighbors were nice and friendly. Started to set up and unload only to be told we set up in the wrong spot by a member of the staff. Surprising they told us to wait before we moved everything while he called up to the outpost and checked if it was okay we stayed and it was! Site 12 was a great little spot.

We were right across from the bath house. It was clean and well taken care of. had two electrical outlets which were helpful to do a quick charge on the cell phones while everyone got ready for bed to let family know we were alive.

While we were there I realized I forgot my sons sweatshirt at home stupidly. We ran up to the outpost store and they had many different sweatshirts and shirt. It a very well stocked little store. Perfect for forgetful people like myself who inadvertently left the syrup magic fire and other small things at home. I was able to find a sweatshirt in his sized that he actually wore. Its soft and very well made. He still wears it and keeps him very warm. Calls it his camping sweatshirt

While in there though my son who is autistic had a minor meltdown by our standards. The staff didn't blink and was very sweet with him and very very patient which to me meant so much and was very refreshing. When he calmed down later on was able to go back up there and buy a toy with his own money. He of course being a boy picked a phaser that lit up and made noises. the ladies behind the counter made a big deal about him making good choices and and paying with his own money. He played with that toy the whole trip. He still has it and it still works.

I made camping adventure binders with different activities before hand thinking they would be bored. no tv. no phones. no video games. THE HORROR! Nope they had a blast my daughter drew on the ground. Went on a stick hunt. She was just generally in awe of her surroundings. My son was too busy inspecting everything enjoying the water and seeing everything to bothered with a binder.

At night it was a little loud with the kids running and our neighbors had a lantern that shown right into our tent and woke up us once. Amazingly I was able to put the kids to bed at their 8:30 pm bedtime with no problems. Around 10 or so the whole place quiets down.

Very peaceful and very relaxing overall.

There was so much to see and do while there that we couldn't pack it all in one trip. My kids ask every morning if were going to on another camping adventure soon. We will be coming back again to different sites on the campground.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family