Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Would like to give 4 1/2 stars. I’m in love with Pongo!

First of all, be prepared that this place is old Florida kitschy. Everything has that tinge of... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
happycamping1
Indianapolis, Indiana
via mobile
This is a good place to take the kids to see primates up close

The Suncoast Primate Sanctuary, located on Alt 19 in Palm Harbor, is a good place to take the kids... read more

Reviewed 9 November 2018
Ranger231
Palm Harbor, Florida

All reviews non profit monkey food run by volunteers their lives well taken care rescued animals volunteer staff hold a baby alligator nice place to visit a great place to bring walk around monkeys donation gonzo groupon enclosures toys
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Loved this place since I was a kid and still love it now! There's now a gentleman there, The Gator Crusader, who puts on a quick show on how he LITERALLY trains alligators! Bobby (one of the primates) interacts when asked "are you hungry" .. SO cute and Pongo, the infamous orangutan is just one hell of a site to see! It's worth the visit!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

These animals responded to basic interaction of speech and posturing. The afternoon spent supporting the animals was well worth the time and minimal expense. Please, support this effort and spend an hour or two witnessing the beauty of rescue.

Reviewed 15 March 2018

This is not a zoo. The primates,reptiles and birds here are rescued. The staff seem to be loving and the grounds are clean if not up to date and bright. We showed up on a clean up day when it was closed. Understanding that we were n a time schedule we were invited in. We had an amazing time. The staff were very accommodating and informative. Rescue places such as these rely on entrance fees so don’t expect to much in the way of food or entertainment beyond the wonderful animals that are in residence.
I highly recommend a visit, especially to visit Pongo he is very engaging. Happy Birthday Pongo! I highly recommend this for anyone.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

First let me start off by saying that I found this place by searching things to do in my area on Groupon. This sanctuary came up with a good deal. I bought the groupon and decided to take my grandma and myself there one weekend. I wasn't really sure what to expect, and did not do research on it before I came. With that being said, before you go, you want to set yourself up to have realistic expectations. This is a sanctuary NOT a zoo. What that means is that it is a safe haven for animals in need of a safe place to live. The sanctuary is not where you go if you want a typical zoo experience. It is a little outdated and more renovations are needed; however, this facility is more for the animals than for people who want to come and see them. It's a place for them to grow old. The Sanctuary is run strictly on donations. The people who work there are all volunteers. That means all the money you pay to get in goes to the animals. The animals come from different backgrounds including private pets, laboratory animals, entertainment animals, and so on.

I do not recommend this to families with children who want a zoo experience. I also do not recommend this place for anyone who wants to do something for more than an hour. It is a small sanctuary that can be walked through within an hours time if that. I do not recommend people to see this place if you get sad easily by seeing older animals or unusual living areas.

However, I do recommend you come see this if you want your money to go towards helping these animals. If you hate crowds and want to meet some interesting characters, this may be the place for you. If you want to spend $10 or less to get in, this may also be the place for you.

So do your research. Understand what this place is and then decide if it's right for you and your family to visit.

Date of experience: March 2018
SPSFI, Public Relations Manager at Suncoast Primate Sanctuary Foundation, Inc., responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Hi Phillygem! Thank you for taking the time to visit the Sanctuary. We appreciate you understanding and explaining that we are a non-profit, volunteer-run, organization for aging animals (primarily primates). We are not a Zoo and have never advertise the Sanctuary as being a zoo. Our primary goal is our residents first, then guests. We opened to the public after many years closed for two primary reasons. First, being a non-profit, funds to keep the Sanctuary operational were tight. Second, public educations has been a mission of the Sanctuary’s board for a long time. Without educating the public, how do you make change? With that said, please consider changing your rating based on who we are, not who we are not. Giving us a low star rating because we are not a Zoo is comparable to giving a toy store a low star rating because they didn’t sell pizza. As a small non-profit, TripAdvisor, Yelp, Google, Etc rating websites is a key part in making income for our residents. Low ratings hurt :(

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I am sure the folks (all volunteers) who run this place are dedicated and caring, and I assume most of the animals here would die, if they did not have this place taking care of them. But honestly, it is very sad. Few of the animals seemed to have any energy, just staring out of the old fashioned bar type cages that I haven't seen in many years, often just 15 or 20 ft square. The place looks rundown, and obviously is hurting for funds. Although there are some signs describing the particular species, sometimes the sign is incorrect (baboon in the chimp section) and nowhere tells why this or any of the animals were rescued or from what. So we were left to look at a nameless primate staring sullenly out of the cage, holding the bars and resting his chin on the cross bar as if it were too heavy to hold up. Various empty cages, unkempt areas, and fading signs. I don't know if the plastic toys wired to the bars of some cages were for the animals or decorations, but they were faded, sun-bleached throwaways for the most part, appearing more like the trappings of a landfill than a sanctuary. Decades ago, zoos stopped keeping animals in these kind of conditions. We left before hearing a talk, because it was just so depressing.

Date of experience: February 2018