“Where do I begin....”

Ranked #122 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Where do I begin....”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

So firstly I should mention that apparently this chain is owned by a company that owns a number of other hotel brands which have hotels in the area. I originally booked to stay at the Rosen Inn, Closest to Universal however upon arrival (after a 10 hour flight from London and a $45 cab ride) I was told that my reservation had been moved to a different hotel without my knowledge. So we were sent to Quality Inn which is half a mile down the road. They paid for the taxi (which I would have expected). This didn't make a huge difference to my holiday but I imagine if you purposely booked the hotel because of its location you would be pretty mad if you had been in my shoes.

Anyway, the basic standards of the hotel are good. The rooms are big and clean enough and breakfast was nice and reasonably priced. There is also a mini-market and vending machines around if you get hungry and don't want to venture out onto International drive. There is lots to do and see on International Drive and lots of restaurants too. Out of interest, it is next door to the world's biggest McDonalds.The free shuttle to/from the parks is also good.

My biggest problem with my stay was the staff. The staff at the Theme park ticket desk looked at us like we were crazy when we asked for "one park, one day" tickets even after I explained that we were only there for one day. Why would I pay for two parks and two days when I wouldn't have the time to visit both parks? Secondly when we tried to book a transfer from the hotel to the airport (orlando international) the woman was FAR, FAR more concerned with closing her desk than she was with serving us. She took our money and gave us tickets but said that the shuttle company phone line was engaged so she gave us the number and said we had to ring them ourselves to confirm the reservation. Now when you travel from the UK roaming charges on mobile phones are extortionate. I wasn't happy with this at all so I went back to her to ask if she got through but complained to me as people (i.e me) kept interrupting her as she closed her desk. Eventually she rung my room to confirm the booking.

Now this is the bit which annoyed me the most: unbeknown to me, daylight savings time kicks in 2 weeks earlier in the US than it does in the UK.No one told us this. There were no signs in the lobby, no notes in the room NOTHING. Not even the woman booking the shuttle thought it worthy to mention that the clocks were going forward that night. Consequently we missed our shuttle the next day. We complained at the front desk but this complaint was met with judgy looks, disbelief and chuckles which I did not appreciate. We were told that they could ring us a taxi but that we would have to pay the difference between the price of the shuttle and that of a taxi. After much deliberation we eventually got them to pay the difference as I believe that a hotel should provide this type of service as they often have international guests. Not to mention they have world clocks hanging behind the desks.

This left a very bad taste in my mouth so I do not think I will be revisiting this particular hotel.
I'm not one to make complaints but I was really annoyed at the attitude of these particular members of staff.

8 Thank Meregy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gloucester
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The Quality Inn is located at a busy junction (International Drive and Sand Lake Road) - depending on which end of the hotel you are located, you could be disturbed by traffic waiting at the junction. There is also a pub/restaurant called Tilted Kilt on I-Drive directly opposite the hotel that plays loud loud music at weekends starting in the afternoon. It usually quietens down after 11.30pm.

The hotel is situated near lots of different restaurants so plenty of choice for meals, and only a 10 minute drive to Universal Islands of Adventure / Universal Studios. There is also the Titantic Experience and CSI Experience just along the I-Drive to visit. The hotel rooms are cleaned daily, and are a good size and include a flat-screen TV, microwave, coffee machine and hairdryer. There is also an in-room safe which is useful.

We enjoyed our stay in Orlando but wouldn't choose this hotel again purely because of the noise levels from the Tilted Kilt.

3 Thank jooliem2001
RosenHotels, Manager at Rosen Inn International, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts. We appreciate your business and would love the opportunity to serve you again. We rely on reviews like yours to improve the quality of the services we offer.
Ipswich, UK
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Stayed here for one night after flying into Orlando to start a road trip. Quick and welcoming check in. Room was a good size, clean and pleasently furnished. The hotel gardens are well kept and the hotel feels safe. The location is towards the northern end of International drive easy to find and particularly good for anyone planning to visit Universal or Sea World. We decided to go to Dennys next door for breakfast so cannot comment on the breakfast provided in the hotel.
We booked the room via Virgin Atlantic at a very good rate and felt we got excellent value.

2 Thank gostling
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay!
UK
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Great check in (and out) staff on reception desk alway helpful. I had to report a problem with the fridge leaking but this was repaired while I was out. Carpets were cleaned whilst I was staying but again done while I was out so caused no problems.

My only one groan regarding the room would be the pillows, I don't know why they are so small that they don't fill the pillowcase but I ended up having to sleep with four of them.

I was travelling alone but as this is a gated property I wasn't worried about security at all. I had a room facing International Drive this time, overlooking the car park, and yes it was quite noisy but silicone earplugs sorted that out.

You get a lot of extras here for free like wifin in your room, fridge, microwave, iron and ironing board. Then flat screen TV has a HDMI and USB port on the side so you can plug in your camera or laptop etc to play on the TV.

I only ate in the on site restaurant once and will only say that although the food was not to my personal taste alot of people seemed to like judging by how high their plates were piled.

Would I stay here again? Yes I would

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Ticky58Uk
Moncton
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We had to kill a couple days before going on a cruise this past week. We found the Quality inn was offering a good price (via a website for hotels). As we were only staying for a night, and we expected the quality inn to have a pretty good reputation, we booked one of the last two rooms they had available (this place has like 750 rooms). Out stay was perfect. The price was great, the location was great, the room was clean, comfy bed, well well equipped and modernized. The hotel is like a compound with security gates. The security guards are very nice, but very serious.

We really liked it here, and would DEFINITELY stay again.

Room Tip: Anything overlooking the pool would be nice, there are like 6 stories.