New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #134 of 333 Hotels in Orlando
Ottawa Ontario
“cockroaches in our room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We got to the hotel, everything looked really nice, got up to the 7th floor - and the place looked like crap. Get into the room - meh things looked okay - carpet was dirty from previous spills. Bathrooms where okay - they said they started renos...all I say was a new counter top, the paint was chipping all over, there was black mould in the shower grout, toilet didn't really flush like abother lady had complained about. Figured for 60$ it as just a place to sleep.... UNTIL we woke up to cockroaches in our room! We packed up in about 2 seconds went down to the hotel lobby explained that we wanted a full refund and that we would not be completing our stay due to cockroaches, the lady at the desk didn't even fight us *almost as if they KNOW they have them* Gave us our bill to explain that they couldn't do the return since we went through expedia, all I can say is we ended up having to spend our entire 3nights stay on one night at another hotel so our trip was cut short.... ignorant I must tell you!! Don't stay there unless you want to bring them home!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HenryAli
GMatBWOrlandoGateway, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
I ceratinly apologize that you did not have a good experience while staying with us on your recent trip to Orlando. Like all hotels in Orlando, we have a nationally recognized pest control company that performs routine service of the interior and exterior of the property. When you reported the issue I had them go into your room and perform the service and take care of any issues. I also had our maintenance department repair the bathroom issues you mentioned.

We had completed the installation of our granite counter tops for both of our vanities two years ago and we are now in the process of replacing the bathroom floor tile. Again, I apologize for your experience and do hope that you will give us the opportunity of regaining your trust in our product in the future.

Sincerly,

Bill Jones, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel during Allstar weekend Feb 24th - Feb 26th 2012, and I enjoyed my stay even thought I was barely in my room as I was out shopping, hanging out, and partying.

This is no fancy luxury 5 star hotel, but it is also not a dirty roach motel either. The hallways were a little worn down looking, but my room was clean. The room was a little on the small side but it was clean had a nice flat screen TV with basic cable, a mini fridge & freezer, a iron, and a comfy bed. I did not like that fact that they do not provide complementary breakfast. The hotel is in a great location right across the street from Wet and Wild, Universal Studios, and City Walk. The Outlets, Florida Mall, and Millelia Mall is only about 5 miles away. There are also a bunch of restaurants, fast foods places, gas stations, and 2 WalMarts by the hotel, so I did not have to travel far at all during my stay at the hotel. Even thought I did not use none of the hotel's accommodations, it does have a tennis court, pool, bar & restaurant.
If you are a upscale, fancy boojie person then you probally won't like this hotel, but if you are just looking for a inexpensive descent clean room then this is the place for you. I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. Your comments are certainly appreciated and I will pass them on to our staff. You are right, we are not a 5 star property but we do pride ourselves in providing, clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations right in the heart of all that Central Florida has to offer.

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Within walking distance to parks, however, we drove. Room was very clean housekeeping was great you only knew they were in your room because the bed was made and you had clean linens. Buffet was average (nothing but carbs could have used a bit more fresh fruit).
There were 2 restaurants and a Walgreens located in the same parking lot, everything was within a few steps. Front desk was very friendly when cheking in and out. We will be staying again soon!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your commetns, I will ceratinly pass them on to our staff!

I am gald that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you soon!

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

i was very surprised at how nice the hotel was because when i checked in the lobby was very noisey so thought i wouldn't enjoy my room i couldn't hear anything in the room on the tv it tells you beware of pizza places that delievers to your room that's because they sell pizza there a no soda vending machines you have to go to there store, so expect to pay $3 dallors a bottle and if they are closed oh well. go to the walgreen's around the corner. i liked the room but when you come out it's another world the staff was very friendly i will stay there again the rooms has microwaves and fridges.

Room Tip: ask for first floor trust me
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your room and that you will stay with us on your next trip to Orlando.

Just to let you know, we do have vending machines on each floor they are centrally located next to the "14" rooms on each floor. The price for a 20 oz soda is $2.50 which is that same as you would pay in Shades Deli which is located in the lobby.

Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to see you soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We had stayed here a few years ago when it was The Clarion and it was awful, the only thing which has changed is the name. The lobby is bright and clean but when you get onto the corridors it is dark and shabby and really needs re-painting and new carpet. The room was pretty basic but the bathroom had gaps in the floor tiling which meant it was constantly dirty. There was never any hot water for the shower, and when I told them at the front desk I was told I was showering 'at the wrong time of the day' (I did try at 4am but still no hot water and despite comp). The TV had been messed with and so 3 channels were the same, not that there was much choice anyway. The hotel was noisy, there was someone in the basketball court at 10.30pm constantly banging with a ball every night we were there (14 nights) and despite complaining to the front desk nothing was done about it. I also complained twice about a nasty sticky black patch on the carpet near the bed and nothing was done about that. Will not stay here again

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah F
I want to apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our bathroom tile project that has been started will alleviate the issue you had with your bathroom. I will be honest and say that we ceratinly had an issue with hot water last month and we have replaced two boilers and added circuit setter valves on each floor which controls the returning flow of the hotel water and the problem seems to have been rectified.

I appreciate that fact that you have stayed with us previously and I certainly hope that you will give us the opportunity of regaining your trust in our product in the future.

Genral Manager