“Cheap Alternative on Business Trip”

Days Inn Orlando Convention Center/International Drive
Ranked #242 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Cheap Alternative on Business Trip”
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I chose to stay at the Days Inn Orlando Convention Center because it was across the street and much cheaper than the hotel where I had a four day business conference. Although my assistant confirmed my reservation within the day or so before my departure, I arrived at the hotel to find that I had no reservation: hotel staff claimed my reservation was for the previous month! However, they had a room available at double the original quoted rate and I took it. The hotel exterior and grounds are neat and fairly well kept up, but the hotel is definitely older construction. The rooms are fairly quiet, although rooms that face the street like mine did can pick up a some traffic noise, but running the heater/airconditioner beneath the window blocks it out. However, the heating function did not work, even set at "high"; however, I was able to use blankets from both beds and slept warmly. The first night, the room reeked of bleach to an eye watering extent (but the bathroom/toilet/sink area was nice and clean). Excellent, free wireless internet! The IHOP restaurant that is part of the hotel buidling is dismal. This should not be a problem because there are a number of restaurants within very short walking distance of the hotel, and a "supermarket" (really more of a beefed up mini-mart, but they had a fairly good selection of things). Since the room includes a nice-sized little refrigerator and a little microwave, it should be possible to eat on the cheap by bringing things in and zapping them right in your room. Because the hotel is on International Drive, it is just steps to the tram that takes you all over Orlando, so very convenient. In my case, the weaknesses of this property outweighed the strengths and, on my next trip to Orlando, I will try a different hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the opposite side of the hotel from International Drive.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank DivineMissMaja

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Thai first
Maui
Reviewed 6 November 2011

First, let me say that this was the second time I chose this property for a week long stay to attend a trade show at the Orange County Convention Center. It is right across the street and a short walk back & forth, so the location and price is perfect. There was a refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker in the room so breakfast and a few dinners came from Whole Foods.

Do not expect first class maintenance, bedding or other amenities. There was a distinct musty odor in the room but a 98 cent can of Glade from Walmart sprayed on the AC filters took care of most of it. Numerous maintenance & cleaning items such as a clothing size sticker stuck on the wall the entire week, mold in the shower, clean but stained towels and sheets but as I said, don't expect a first class property at the bargain price.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at this hotel for our 3 week holiday to Orlando and we found it to be a great hotel to stay at for the price and location, we were worried before going after reading reviews left on here and I'm glad we never let it affect are decision because we couldn't fault the hotel, the room was clean and comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful and the pool area was spacious and clean. To take into account the fact that when your on a holiday in Florida you only need a place to sleep at night this place is perfect considering how cheap it is. Will be staying here again next time we return

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Marfbashir
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Located near the convention center, this Day's Inn is pretty much what you would expect for what you pay for the room. However, I received excellent personal service. I left my receipt on the counter when I left. I called back and Jumari made an attempt to e-mail it to me and then when that didn't work she faxed it to me. It literally took three calls (not her fault) but every single time that I called back she stopped what she was doing and gave me her full attention. I see Jumari as heading the human relations department one of these days. Valuable employee!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank David W
West Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We were attending a 3-day/night conference at the Orange County Convention Center and adjoining hotels. Since we would be spending a great deal of time away from the room, more than basic amenities weren't necessary for us. We did not want to drive to the Convention Center so wanted a place within walking distance; while it would have been more convenient to stay at one of the convention's recommended hotels, we would have paid $50-100 more per night.

Check in and check out were handled efficiently. The room was clean, everything worked, there was a coffemaker, microwave and mini-fridge and hair-dryer, and iron/ironing board in the room. The room had been recently painted - however there was already blistering of the paint in the bathroom indicating humidity. There was a mild mildew smell, allevated by running the a/c. I am allergic to mold and live in FL and did not have any problems in the room.

The IHOP was convenient. People were using the pool. We were in a king-bed room #155 - right near International Drive - but were not bothered by noise from pool or highway. It was about a 10 minute walk to the Convention Center - a factor one should consider if 1) wearing a suit in warm weather 2) it rains. Some of our friends staying at the Days Inn chose to drive to the center - even if one factors in parking (eg $13) - still less expensive for the value oriented.

Wifi in the room worked; business center had internet access as well. I could have used a few more outlets for charging phones/devices but used outlets from the microwave/coffeemaker.

My only gripe was that I was there for a political debate, and the Days Inn cable didn't include Fox News, which was the network that held the debate and post-debate coverage.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business