“Outstanding steak and seafood and happy hour”
Review of MoonFish

MoonFish
Reserve with OpenTable
MoonFish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 3,894 Restaurants in Orlando
Price range: USD 20 - USD 50
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Doctor Phillips
Cross street: The Fountains Plaza at Dr Phillips
Description: MoonFish, rated as one of the Top Ten Seafood Restaurants in America, serves the "Freshest Seafood from the Oceans of Planet Earth" with a variety of fresh fish flown in daily from all over the world. In addition to fish-fusion cuisine, MoonFish features Pacific Rim aged steaks cooked over a natural Florida citrus and oak wood-burning pit, a sushi bar creating the freshest and most uniquely presented sushi and an award winning wine list. The vibrant atmosphere combines modern art and ingenuity along with a Pacific flair to stimulate the senses.
Reviewed 3 April 2015

We arrived at happy hour and sat at the bar while waiting for the rest of our party. The two ladies behind the bar (Beverly & Joanna) were Awesome. They had a completely full bar but managed to keep it all going. The HH food & prices looked great too, but we were waiting for dinner. My husband had sushi and was overwhelmed with it. I had the bamboo steamer - which I highly recommend. Lobster, King Crab, Shrimp and Fish along with yummy vegetables. Our server seemed a little overwhelmed but did his best. The wine prices were a little outrageous (one was $19 a glass). A couple people in our party got steaks and raved about them. The menu choices are many - you will not be disappointed. We would definitely go back for HH next time and get the tuna tacos. They looked awesome.

2  Thank Steve_Cathy20

Reviewed 1 April 2015

My husband and I have been going to Moonfish for 10 years for special occasions with the latest being my birthday. Daniel was our waiter and did a fabulous job with recommending dishes as well as ensuring our food was delivered at the perfect time as opposed to all at once. The fish will be the freshest in the area. We have not met anyone who has been able to leave the restaurant without first devouring half to almost a whole basket of bread. You will not be sorry if you choice Moonfish.

2  Thank Beth V
Reviewed 1 April 2015

6 of us dined here and I dropped over $500 on a meal that I felt had some notable highlights and disappointments. Service was very good, and the server knew the menu well; in hindsight, he oversold the quality of the surf and turf, but I'll address that later. Drinks were equally well prepared and presented. Hot appetizer was a hit - calamari had a light batter and was crisp, coconut shrimp were plump and sweet, and the crab cakes were loaded with flavor and chunks of real crab. Salads were standard fare with a spring mix topped with flecks of goat cheese and a light vinaigrette, topped with a beet. Could have made this salad a little more substantive if it was a grilled beet salad with more cheese and fresh arugula. The macadamia crusted grouper order by two diners was superb and well portioned. Another diner had the seared tuna entree and it disappeared from the plate without comment, so I took that as a good sign. The Bad in the meal was the "boat" of seafood. Undercooked scallops, a few shrimp, and something else floating a butter/stock concoction. The diner who ordered, normally ravenous, put 1/2 into the take away container. My daughter ordered the Black Grouper that lost most of it's potential to being over cooked. It came with a lot of what looked like zucchini and squash (undercooked). She at the seafood and left most of the veggies.

My wife ordered the surf and turf, and was expecting a grilled center cut filet (medium rare) complete with charring and caramelization, and a roasted fresh Maine lobster tail. What she got was a tenderloin scrap that looked baked (well done) and rubbery lobster tail (previously frozen), lacking any butter or seasoning, sitting on huge pile of runny mashed potatoes; this was the Ugly in the meal (and the most expensive).

The owners of this restaurant have a number of others that are well known to the community and travelers. They have a good business model and do a good business, so their sales don't suffer much from a few bad meals. I would return to Moonfish but only to eat their fresh fish selections.

2  Thank local_critic
Reviewed 1 April 2015

The food at Moonfish was superb and there was nothing on the plates when all four of us were finished. 4 appetizers and 4 full meals -- the meals were incredible! I had a calamari appetizer and triggerfish for the dinner -- both were out of this world good. The only thing my party wasn't happy about was our server - I don't believe she was having one of her finest days as a waitress but we all have bad days don't we.

Reviewed 31 March 2015

On a Monday night, 7 p.m., party of six. We were seated quickly and serviced promptly. Amanda and Curtiss were the assigned waitstaff. They kept up with a group having a fun outing. The food was excellent and plentiful. Overall a really nice meal. We'll be back.

1  Thank Rufus F