“a resort elegant Afternoon Tea”

Garden View Tea Room
Ranked #167 of 4,144 Restaurants in Orlando
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

the tea, service and food was very good. the crowd is a mix of kids and adults, but everyone is well behaved.
The food is classic afternoon tea, no chicken fingers to be found.
I especially like the option for champagne and caviar before my tea.
Can't go wrong there.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

My girl's birthdays are a few days apart, so we went on a girl's tea day to celebrate. We booked almost 6 months in advance. We showed up a few minutes early and were sat after a few minutes. We had just enough time to view the lovely Easter eggs in the lobby. The staff we encountered were all lovely and very patient. We never felt rushed. They recommended very tasty teas for us. One of my girls enjoyed some hot chocolate instead. We ordered the fruit and cheese plates which were delicious! I enjoyed all of the cheeses and ate all the fruit except the melon and under ripe piece of kiwi. Next came the tea sandwiches. Unfortunately they were not good. There was one that looked like it had a white mixture on it. I could not identify the taste, but it was so bad that I wished for a paper napkin to spit it out in. I could barely swallow. It was that bad. The egg salad one was very bland. They were just not good. One of my girls just got ham sandwiches. There was also a "tart" that had what tasted like french onion soup that was cold. They were a big hit, and my server brought us more of them which was so kind. We then got each one of the 3 desserts to share. They were all so pretty! The favorite was the strawberries with a cream topping. We were all very full when we we left. None of us could finish our teas/ hot chocolates. Our view was very pretty of the gardens, and we love the elegance of the Grand Floridian. We also dressed up to get into the spirit which helped our experience. My girls also each got a beautiful pink rose left by Aurora in celebration of their birthdays! It was overall a delightful experience (except for most of the tea sandwiches.)

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We had been regulars, but no more. Our last two experiences were outrageously disappointing and a disservice to the standards set by the Disney reputation. The service has become slow, careless and inattentive. The tea sandwiches are very basic, and not what one would expect in such a grand setting. The small amount of fruit that is served with the cheese is somewhat less than fresh. The attempt at a formal tea experience, of late, is amateurish at best, and not at all what one would expect at Disney's most elegant location.

Most recently, we arrived ten minutes early for a reservation we had had for months. The tentative greeter, who identified himself as a manager, advised us he could not seat us early, and we had to wait for our scheduled time. He would not take our name, insisting we come back at the scheduled time (in 8 minutes by that point). When I returned to check in, he told us that they had people lingering, and we would be seated within the next twenty minutes. THIRTY-FIVE MINUTES LATER, he told us he could not guarantee a time, but that he hoped a table would become available within the next half hour, which would put us AN HOUR AFTER OUR RESERVATION TIME. At that point, we asked to cancel our reservation, and he threatened to charge us a cancellation fee!

I contacted his superior, and the reservation was cancelled without penalty, by then 50 minutes after our scheduled time. If I were the manager of the tea room, I would have seated us in the Grand Lobby and sent over a pot of tea for us to enjoy while we waited.
I would have apologized for poor planning, and never even hinted at charging a cancellation fee after they made us wait for nearly an hour.

The experience as it stood was pitiful.

As I mentioned, afternoon tea at the Garden View Tea Room has been declining over the past year or so, but this most recent debacle was inexcusable. We won't be going back any time soon.

9  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We had afternoon tea here and were very excited and for the most part we did have a good experience. The hostess seemed like she was in a bad mood and we tried to not let it affect us only to find that there is no real "garden view" like the name suggests! Lots of construction and only a few "desirable" tables available. However, our server was lovely! Very helpful and very patient as she went through the menu for our large party. I wish I remembered her name!!!

The food and tea were good - cute, delicious tea sandwiches and pastries and more tea than we knew what to do with. For what it is, though, it is a little pricey. Don't come here expecting to gorge yourself, but it is definitely a nice experience if you don't get too caught up on a "garden view."

1  Thank Jennwk
Reviewed 27 March 2018

We have dined here 3 times. We appreciated the hostess switching our table to a more desirable spot although she didn't seem happy about it. Our waitress was so kind and she had a nice demeanor. The tea and the view are outstanding as well. The only reason I didn't rate this as a 5 was because the hostess seemed irritated with us and that started the experience with a bad taste.

2  Thank kemberly g