“Great hotel but Management need to iron out some problems to warrant 5 star prices.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waldorf Astoria Orlando

Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Ranked #28 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We have just returned from a two week holiday in Florida and decided to treat ourselves to a few nights at the Waldorf to finish our trip in style. I agree with other travellers that you need to look out for signs for the Bonnet Creek Resort otherwise the hotel is not the easiest to find.
Anyway we arrived mid afternoon and was greeted by valet parking who efficiently emptied the car and whisked it away. There is no self parking but if you're staying at the Waldorf why would you want that anyway?
We initially had a Deluxe Disney View room with twin Queen beds which was on the top floor so fantastic views. As a Hilton Honors member I had requested an upgrade to a suite but sadly
none was available. We were on the Wandering Wizards package which included breakfast and a Harry Potter wand toy for my son. I discreetly asked at reception about the wand as I wanted it
as a surprise for my son and was told that it would be ready and waiting for him in the room. He
was very excited about a surprise gift and raced up to the room. Unfortunately he hunted the
room but couldn't find the gift. I rang down to reception and had to explain (and spoilt the
surprise) and they said they would send it up. What wasn't mentioned was the toy needs
batteries to work so he couldn't use it anyway. I know this sounds minor and it is, but it sets the
tone. I thought a 5 star hotel would consider small things like this that make a huge difference to
a little boy.

The room was excellent and well equipped although I noticed the Nexpresso maker only had two
pods of decaf coffee and very little milk left.
We dined at the Bull and Bear and agree with other reviewers that although excellent food, the
menu was very limited, expensive, with little choice for children. Our meal for three (two adults
one child) was $ 160 + and that was with only two glasses of wine.
The pool at the Waldorf and adjacent Hilton were great. My son particularly liked the lazy river.
You could hire inflatable rings to float round at $5. The pool staff at both hotels were very good
and efficient in taking orders for drinks etc. The cocktails were well made and we were asked
regularly if we needed anymore.
We had breakfast included within our package and were given a voucher for two adults when I
checked in. I didn't query this at the time as I presumed my son would have been included. I was
a bit surprised to receive a bill at breakfast of $18 for my son. I queried it with the waiting staff
but was told to raise it with reception. The breakfast was very good with an extensive selection of
hot or cold food. The chef at the omelette station was great and cooked exact to order.
The following day we returned to our room after a day out and although the room had been serviced we were surprised to note that our dirty coffee cups from the morning were still there and we had been left with no coffee replacements or any milk. I rang down and some were brought up immediately.
We also tried to use the in room safe but unfortunately the previous guests had left it in locked mode. I called down and was told that a security guard would be up to unlock the safe so we could use it. After about 45 minutes I rang down again to chase up the security guard as we were keen to go out. The guest services operator apologised and security was at our door within
5 minutes and sorted the problem.
Our flight home was delayed by 24 hours so I asked if our stay could be extended and as we'd already packed our bags asked if a suite was now available. I was told that would be no problem but my original upgrade request could not be honoured and I would have to pay the rate as a new booking. $469 + taxes. I agreed and was told a bellman would be up to help move our bags to the new room in a few minutes with two new keys. After 20 minutes I called down again and a bellman arrived but no keys so he had to let us in with his access key.
The room was amazing and although expensive was very spacious and what I expect of the Waldorf. Unfortunately our extension did not include breakfast so that made it. Very expensive night.
The final annoyance was on the final day and after agreeing a late check out which had been part of our earlier package our room key didn't work. I went down to reception (from the 15th floor) and she apologised and 'zapped' it again. I returned back to the room.....and guess what....the key still didn't work. I traipsed back to reception which had approx 4 staff members standing around and she zapped it again and said she would send up a security guard again if it still didn't work. What really surprised me is that not one member of staff offered to accompany me back upstairs. Also the security guard didn't turn up.
The above examples sound like a catalogue of complaints and fairly minor in nature and I agree, individually, they are small but added together it spoilt the end of our trip. Also at the price paid I simply do not expect amateur service. I have stayed at the Waldorf in NYC in the past few months and the service was exceptionally good. I am a traveller who is happy to pay a premium for good service but will have to secure a very good deal to return to this hotel again. There are hotels at half the price very near by who offer excellent service.
It is such a shame as the complacency from some staff reflects poorly on the others. This could be an outstanding hotel but customer service does not appear to be a priority.

Room Tip: We originally had room 1545 and moved to 1524. The first room had a great view of the fireworks.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JuliaHLondon_UK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

first-class service...personal concierge escorted my party to our room (Diamond Medallion)...poolside bar service excellent...rooms are spacious and bathroom is nice with marble,etc.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband and I decided to do a last minute getaway for our anniversary and found ourselves in the Orlando area at the Waldorf. We could not have planned this trip any better. From the moment we stepped in the staff EVERYWHERE was courteous, kind, helpful, literally jumping to serve us in any way they could. Upon check in they offered us vouchers for the breakfast and several vouchers for spa services. The hotel is beautifully appointed. The beds are incredible. The housekeeping staff was extremely thorough -- they service your room in the morning and in the evening. It was always beautiful. The grounds around the hotel are immaculate. Our room overlooked the beautiful golf course and brick paved walking path. There is a very nice fitness room but the hotel complex, which includes the Waldorf and it's sister property the Hilton, is surrounded with beautiful walking/biking/jogging paths with park benches along the way if you would rather walk/run outside. The Hilton is connected by both outside sidewalks and interior corridors and guests may use facilities at either hotel --- pool, fitness room, restaurants, etc. The pool at the Waldorf was always full as there were many families there during our stay but the pool attendants were bountiful and they did an incredible job of helping to find seating, keeping chairs ready for guests, etc. I never had any trouble finding seating at the pool. The hotel also offers bikes and surreys for use. With the lovely paths this is definitely a plus. The rooms were magnificent and the bathrooms very large and very beautifully decorated as well. As with any 5 star, robes and slippers were in the rooms as well as a Nesesspresso machine and a nice selection of coffees as well as a mini fridge.

The breakfast buffet was absolutely incredible!!!!! I don't understand the "negative" written by another reviewer. We ate at the buffet four mornings and there was never a line anywhere. Homemade maple syrup is not of the same texture as "Mrs. Butterworths." It does have a more natural watery consistency because there is no high fructose corn syrup in it. The buffet had every imaginable item you could possibly conceive for breakfast on it and everything on it was homemade. There was an omelet station with about 12 items you could select for your omelet, a waffle station, a crepe' station, 8 different types of fresh fruit, smoked salmon with several cream cheese varieties and 4 or 5 different bagel varieties. There were scrambled eggs, fingerling potatoes, crisp bacon, beautiful sausage links, and french toast. There was also a huge selection of homemade pastries --- AT LEAST 30 different things, all homemade at Oscars -- croissants, chocolate croissants, Swedish croissants, banana nut bread, various muffins, etc etc etc. Seriously, there were too many to even remember. They also had three or four different cereals (for children, I'm sure) as well as an incredible homemade granola with additional toppings you could add. Then there was the "bread station" with about 8 different types of homemade breads which you could toast or eat cold along with butter and different homemade jams. There was also an assorted olive tray, with a variety of cheeses and salamis. The highlight of the breakfast for me was the "Juice Bar." This bar included 6 different freshly made juices each morning. They have someone who works full time all morning just to make the juices ---Apple /Kiwi, Apple/Pomegrante, Watermelon, Orange/Strawberry, Pear/Honeydew, Orange/Carrot. Of course, just plain Orange or Apple juice was also available. The weather was beautiful while we were there so each morning we enjoyed having breakfast on the patio and lingering for an hour or so with our coffee and juices.

I really can't say enough how incredibly wonderful the entire staff of this hotel was. We used the Disney Shuttle several different days and it was punctual to the minute both at the hotel and at the parks, going and coming. From the valet attendants, to the door attendant, to the front desk, pool attendants, housekeeping ---- ALL were incredible and extremely professional and helpful. I would go to Orlando again just to stay at this hotel and enjoy the amenities it provides.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank maconbartows
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

My hsuband and child (age 7) stayed at this hotel the second weekend in April 2012. We had a difficult time finding it due to the fact our Garmin couldn't locate the street name. We have stayed at the Hilton Bonnet Creek (it is next door) previously, but just couldn't remember how to get there. I called the hotel, and they gave us a different street name to use. Worked perfectly. I would definitely suggest calling before your trip if you are driving.

First impression: The lobby is gorgeous!! Beautiful marble and tile floors. Definitely a contemporary feel. Check-in went smoothly. Super friendly staff.

Mandatory $20 valet parking system. This was one of the only negatives about this resort.

Positives:
Heavenly bed!!! Beautiful room. Gorgeous bathroom with separate tub/glass shower. Drawers in the vanity, which was such a plus! Robes, slippers, Salvatore Ferragmo toiletries and lighted magnifying mirror in the bathroom. The room had two closets in the entry way area as well.

Kids club/activities. My son enjoyed going to this.

The food.

Nice health club.

Lovely spa.

We also rented a cabana ($300 for the day or $150 for a half day--AFTER 4 p.m.). The cabana came with two bottles of three different types of sodas (your choice), several bottles of water, Evian mist, a pitcher of virgin Mojitos, a HUGE fresh fruit platter and sunscreen packets. Yes, $300 is high, but we felt like it was worth it, as we were there from 10-5. There is a TV in the cabana as well. We had lunch delivered to our cabana from Aquamarine which was very good.

Negatives:
Mandatory valet parking. I thought this was ridiculous since there was a garage closeby. Plus, you are in and out so much going to Disney. That can get a little pricey, but you are staying at The Waldorf.

The "young" staff around the pool. They weren't very attentive until I talked to the man in charge of the pool area. Things changed after that. Otherwise, the staff was great!

I definitely will be returning. We have stayed at many hotels in Orlando while visiting Disney. This one is luxury at its finest! We also love The Hilton Bonnet Creek next door. We had a great rate. In fact, we have paid much more to stay in several of the deluxe Disney resorts with rooms not nearly as nice for twice the money!! We paid $278 a night for our room on Expedia with a Florida resident rate. Try finding that at a Disney Deluxe in peak season!

1 Thank Blondechick32
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012 via mobile

From the check-in to check-out the staff were friendly and professional. Also the personal at pool area and pool restaurant were great as well as staff and service at dinner restaurant. Food was great. Bathroom very spacious and beds very comfortable.
Only 2 negative things. First cabana at pool cost $150 for half day and $300 for full day. Stayed at many hotels in with same standard and don't charge extra for Cabanas. Half of cabanas were empty.
Second thing we wanted a suite but were 2 friends and 1 child. No suites had 2 queen beds and the deluxe room with 2 queen beds couldn't have a roll-in bed.

Stayed April 2012