“Fantastic!”

Ranked #148 of 392 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Water is Life. Life is Joy. That's the philosophy celebrated at Universal's Volcano Bay™ water theme park. It's the carefree attitude the fabled Waturi islanders have embraced on their Pacific isle for centuries. Now you can live the Waturi way at this all-new park where thrills and relaxation flow in perfect harmony.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We were worried about Volcano bay due to the number of negative reviews. However, we all agreed that this was the best water park we have ever been at. Recommend that you set up the app in advance, arrive early (ie before opening), sort out locker and payment for day on the wristband. Rides were fantastic, queues were ok and virtual queue system worked well. Always some rides available without having to book a time. Food was good with more choice and better service than Aquatica. Overall a fantastic family day out.

1  Thank BrianDS1
UOGuestServices, Guest Relations Manager at Universal's Volcano Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hi Brian,

It sounds like you had an awesome time in the park! I am so happy to hear you think our water park is the best. I definitely agree with getting everything done early. Once you have your account set up and you get the locker sorted out, it is easy to enjoy your time there. I hope you were able to grab a return time for Ohyah and/or Ohno drop slides. These are my favorite ones in the park. I am so glad you loved the variety of our food. Thank you for your review and I hope you visit us again soon!

- Molly

Write a ReviewReviews (3,735)
All reviews
in 36 reviews
"roller coaster"
in 60 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I LOVE water parks and have been to many over the years so when I heard about this new water park I just knew I had to come. I was so excited to visit this park but there is defiantly room for improvement.

Pros
Great new rides which are thrillling
Great Hawaiian theme
Loads of restaurants choice
Warm water ( a lot of parks have cold water which I hate!)
Great transport from car park to water park ( very well organised )

Cons
Staff was quite unknowledgable - I asked questions about my fast pass and tapi tap ( line watch) which they didn’t know the answers too.

We waited a long time for lunch. It seemed well organised but didn’t work. We queued for the restaurant then we queued for our type of food then we queued to pay. The time we ate our food was cold. Also there are separate ques for what you are having so if one member of your family wanted pizza and another member wanted a burger you would have to que twice one for the pizza and then for the burger.

Virtual line system- I am completely sitting on the fence when discussing virtual line system. They give you a tapi watch which is a virtual line. You have to tap in to a ride you would like to go on. Then it says a wait time. While you wait you can go on the ride now slides while your waiting. Then your tapi watch vibrates and tells you to go to the slide you booked. One side of me thought this was good idea because you could be on other rides whilst waiting to go on a longer que ride. Another side of me doesn’t like it because you can only ‘book’ one ride at a time so you would have long waiting gaps between each ride. I did wonder would it not just be easier to que for rides like the traditional way.

MAJOR CON

We arrived at 10.15am when the park opened at 10. I have my elderly nan on holiday with us and she needed shade. There were NO beds or umbrellas by this time. I do not think this is acceptable. They charge you for private cabanas and premium seating. I don’t feel you should have to pay for seating when you have had to pay a lot to just get in the park. You need a lot of free seating and shade volcano bay!

Overall
Yes I would return and yes I had a great day with my family but there are major things that need to be improved on to make this park perfect. I just hope the staff of volcano bay take on board our comments.

Would there be so many cons if this was a Disney owned park?

1  Thank Julie J

Hi Julie,

I am so happy to hear that you thought our attractions were great! The theming of the park is personally my favorite part as I feel like I can be taken away to paradise. We do try to keep all of our pools temperature controlled so they are comfortable at any time of year. I am glad you found our transportation to the park was organized.

I apologize you felt our Team Members were unknowledgeable at the resort. Our Team Members go through training to understand the resort and to be informed on any information our Guests may need. I am sorry to hear about the long waits you experienced at our dining locations. We strive to be as efficient as possible while assisting the Guest, but I understand how disappointing the wait can be when you are ready to eat. Our TapuTapu system was made so you would be able to reserve a spot in line while you enjoy your day out of line. This way, instead of spending an hour waiting to get on the ride, you can walk and enjoy our pools instead. I am sorry to hear about the lack of seating and being unable to find a spot. We do limit the amount of people who enter the park per day for the comfort of our Guests, but I understand that the chairs may go fast in the morning. I will be sure to document your feedback and pass it along to the proper teams.

Thank you for taking the time to review and I hope you chose us as your vacation destination again in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Volcano Bay seems like a great water park but the people in charge seem to not care that handicapped parents and grandparents take their children and grandchildren to water parks. There is no local parking, you have to take a bus. Ramps in the park are almost hidden and so long. There is a short escalator to enter the park or a 10 minutes uphill climb on a ramp. The children’s areas only offer beach chair or lounge chair seating which is way too short or close to ground for a handicapped person to sit in. I rented lounge chairs at a cost of $89 for a pair and I rented 2 pairs and asked when I reserved seating if I could get a standard chair in the area but there were none after standing for over an hour I was finally brought a dining chair. The difficulties in getting around and not having seating ruined our family water park trip.
Put in some standard sized tables and chairs in all your park areas for your handicapped guest.

Date of experience: March 2018
2  Thank bakerkeyes

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about our park. Our resort has been carefully designed, and our staff specifically trained, to provide equal accessibility to all of our Guests. I apologize that you experienced so many frustrations with our resort. I would love to speak to your further to hear more about your experience in the park. At your earliest convinenece, please contact the Guest Services Department by calling 407-224-4233 option 4 or via email at GuestServices@universalorlando.com. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

An outstanding water park with a virtual queue wrist strap which allows you to enjoy the remainder of the park instead of standing in line waiting for your turn. An ingenious idea which works perfectly - the only thing that would make that better is to apply to all rides from any location - instead of having to go to a specific location to scan your wrist strap. The central pool was heated to a very comfortable temperature and the wave machine was great fun and when you needed a rest the lazy river was perfect - grab a rubber ring, or not, your choice. Lockers were available at varying fees, depending on the size required. Food and drink were not cheap but we took water and snacks in with us and water fountains were available. Would definitely recommend this to anyone whether they are visiting for the water rides or just to enjoy the main pool!

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank LisaRob2014

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our park. I am happy to see that you enjoyed our TapuTapu system! It is really nice to be able to relax and do whatever you want while your wristband holds you place in line. Our pools are all temperature controlled to match the weather outside, so I am glad you found that very comfortable. Thank you for your candid feedback regarding our prices. I hope you come back to visit us again soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Who ever thought of this bright idea needs a reality check. They closed Wet n Wild which was a separate park away from any other park and decided to open this joke which can only be described as a farce. Firstly you can only gain access by going to Universal/Islands of Adventure car park. From there you have to get a shuttle bus to Volcano Bay - you cannot access this park any other way than via this shuttle. As if Universal is not crowded enough, we got off the hotel bus and queued for the Volcano Bay shuttle along with about 60+ other people. First two buses were full and we got the 3rd bus after a LONG wait. Once at the park the madness really began. Queued about 45 minutes to get in and receive our tapu. Then, you couldn't see the wood for the trees - people, loungers, palm trees - we walked for 30 minutes in search of any free seats (this was at 10.30am) - horrible wet sand in some places and on the paths and saw at least 2 people slip as they had crocs on - eventually a lady gave us 2 of her chairs beside the kiddies pool between 6 of us. Queues are a joke everywhere. My teens went on 2 rides and 1 trip up the lazy river after which they wanted to leave. Queued for the bus back to Universal and got a cab back to our hotel. We visit Orlando every year and buy the 3 park flexi ticket. We paid $1,400 for 6 - 7 day 3 park flexi tickets - it worked out the same practically as just buying tickets for VB as we had hoped to spend most of it there (we had done the other parks every other year and there wasn't anything new in them). We used our 7 day ticket 3 times - once at Universal, once at Islands of Adventure and once at Volcano Bay - never again and a total waste of a days holiday and money. We used to go to Wet n Wild which was easily accessible and you only dealt with that parks queue. This place just adds mayhem to an already packed place. We are going again in October or April 2019 and will probably only buy a one day ticket for the new fast n furious ride at Universal but that will be it - won't be buying any weekly park tickets - certainly not for Volcano Bay anyway - we wasted a fortune!! Wet n Wild was a dream and sadly missed

12  Thank MARCY100Limerick

Hello Marcy,
I'm so sorry to hear about the experience you had at Volcano Bay. I see one of our Guest Services Team Members reached out to you via email in regards to your experience. I have made sure to document your feedback and will be passing it along to the appropriate management teams. I strongly encourage you to give our Guest Services team a call to talk about your visit some more. You can contact them at 407-224-4233 option 4 or via email at GuestServices@universalorlando.com. Thank you,
-Lissette